The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 261 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

NJ is not Midwest in any way shape or form. You could easily make the case that rural upstate NY has plenty in common with parts of the south.

We’re not arguing that we are relevant *in CFB* ... or that anyone should be holding their breath outside in upstate NY. Much like FSU, we’ve had dominate runs in college sports and also look down on schools without that sustained success as irrelevant (like FSU in college basketball). (Although you could easily make the case that we’ve had a bigger impact in CFB than FSU has had in MBB. Heisman winner, greatest RB of all time, national champs)

As for Ash - what has he showed us that is better than Greg Robinson?

No offense but to many, basketball is something you do in between football seasons. College baseball is actually a bigger deal than basketball in the deep south outside of Tobacco Road (SC, AL, LA, MS, TX). Again, being from the north but having briefly lived in the south I know what they think of yankee schools when it comes to football. And that even includes Ohio State and Michigan. I also lived in the Chicago-land area for two years and that was more like the NY tri-state area than the panhandle.

Again, no offense but Syracuse’s “impact on CFB” of which you speak occurred literally over a half a century ago. While I can appreciate Syracuse’s history, I can also appreciate Army’s and Yale’s. And Roger Staubach won the Heisman and played for the NC at Navy so I can appreciate their history too. Point being, it was a different era. “Power 5” CFB in the New England area just isn’t a big deal. It’s predominantly a pro sports area that values indoor sports like hockey and basketball whereas college football is a way of life down south. They don’t call it “church on Saturday” for nothing. Now, there’s lots of FCS, DII and DIII football in the northeast if you’re into that. My brother played football at Southern Connecticut, and many former teammates and students played up that way so I know that scene. I mean there are hundreds of colleges heavily concentrated in the New England-Pennsylvania area that need to field teams. But major college football just isn't as big a deal in NJ, NY, New England, etc as it is in the south and Texas.

Even if RU ever got good...I'm talking like Wisconsin-level good, NYC sports talk radio would still be talking about the Yankees bullpen and the Mets journeymen September call-ups on August 28th instead of the RU football season starting in 4 days. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Looking at this from a national perspective, both Syracuse and RU are both irrelevant. RU never was and Syracuse hasn't been for a very, very long time. And again, from a national perspective, no one is holding their breath waiting for Syracuse to get back to where they were in the 80's and with McNabb in the mid to late 90's. So Syracuse and Rutgers fans arguing about who sucks worse is kind of comical. BOTH schools are playing in conferences out of their geographic realm and while you guys sit here and mock RU in the B1G, they are a closer fit to the mid-west culture than Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College are to the south.

In my opinion, both of these programs were hurt by conference "realignment". True, Rutgers only saw (mild) success when the old Big East broke up and the new conference essentially became a mid-major, but one could argue their recruiting as well as Syracuse's took a major hit when Miami and VT broke off.

Boston College
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Maryland
Miami
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

THIS should be the conference RU and Syracuse currently call home. It would be very good in basketball and still a viable football conference on the national level. I mean, it's no worse than the current Big 12. And I think had Miami, VT and BC stayed, with Penn State disenchanted with the B1G and Maryland in a financial funk, this could have happened and benefited all. I think had this been the alignment, Syracuse would have never fallen off in football the way they have and Rutgers would have come closer to realizing their potential than they have (and like it or not, in this set up they'd actually have some potential to be realized).

I also think you guys are being overly critical of Ash because a. he reminds you of G-Rob or more likely you WANT him to be G-Rob and b. the PERCEPTION is out there that Urban told him to take the Rutgers job over Syracuse. Let me first say I think Dino is the right guy for the Syracuse job so I don't know why you guys would have any vitriol toward Ash to begin with. I guess, perhaps, it's human nature because the PERCEPTION is out there he may have slighted you even though you wound up getting the better HC for your school. I think the jury is still out on Ash at Rutgers but I think he can get them to 6-6 and minor bowl games most years. If the program gets to that point, it will be a more attractive job for the next guy with all the new facilities they are building/have built and the end of Ash's tenure will likely coincide with them receiving full revenue share in 3 years.

The Big Ten culture is kind of scary when you think about what’s happened at tOSU, PSU and MSU.

The Big Ten culture is kind of scary when you think about what’s happened at tOSU, PSU and MSU.

I can't disagree there. And you left out Maryland. But to say crap doesn't happen all over the country when it comes to college sports would be disingenuous. For the record, I would have preferred the ACC for Rutgers from a sports perspective. But from an institutional perspective, as a large state university with both AAU and CIC membership, I can see why the B1G makes sense. It's all about $$$ whether it be for athletics, research, etc.

No offense but to many, basketball is something you do in between football seasons. College baseball is actually a bigger deal than basketball in the deep south outside of Tobacco Road (SC, AL, LA, MS, TX). Again, being from the north but having briefly lived in the south I know what they think of yankee schools when it comes to football. And that even includes Ohio State and Michigan. I also lived in the Chicago-land area for two years and that was more like the NY tri-state area than the panhandle.

Again, no offense but Syracuse’s “impact on CFB” of which you speak occurred literally over a half a century ago. While I can appreciate Syracuse’s history, I can also appreciate Army’s and Yale’s. And Roger Staubach won the Heisman and played for the NC at Navy so I can appreciate their history too. Point being, it was a different era. “Power 5” CFB in the New England area just isn’t a big deal. It’s predominantly a pro sports area that values indoor sports like hockey and basketball whereas college football is a way of life down south. They don’t call it “church on Saturday” for nothing. Now, there’s lots of FCS, DII and DIII football in the northeast if you’re into that. My brother played football at Southern Connecticut, and many former teammates and students played up that way so I know that scene. I mean there are hundreds of colleges heavily concentrated in the New England-Pennsylvania area that need to field teams. But major college football just isn't as big a deal in NJ, NY, New England, etc as it is in the south and Texas.

Even if RU ever got good...I'm talking like Wisconsin-level good, NYC sports talk radio would still be talking about the Yankees bullpen and the Mets journeymen September call-ups on August 28th instead of the RU football season starting in 4 days. It is what it is.

Actually really appreciate your point of view, feel free to stick around.

Actually really appreciate your point of view, feel free to stick around.

Thanks. And I didn't mean to take any enthusiasm out of it for you guys four days before the season starts. I wish Syracuse a good season (outside of 9/15) and an injury-free one at that. I hope you build on last year's season...it will be good for the ACC. I also am not making light of Syracuse's history by comparing them to Army. I love going to Army games and I try to get to one every couple of years. In fact, if that hypothetical Eastern Conference I posted earlier ever came to fruition, I would prefer Army over Connecticut simply for their football history and venue. And the fact that UCONN fans aren't the nicest people from my experience.

Too much pressure on the true frosh QB? Perhaps. But I disagree with your assessment of McNulty. "Hasn't called plays in 10 years" may be true but it's not like he was sitting around doing nothing. Guy has coached QB's, WR's and TE's in The League for the past 10 years. Friedgen came in cold off the street after not having coached AT ALL for 5 years and had some success with them. While McNulty is no savior, he's better than you are giving him credit for and their offense will be much better having him here. It's hard to be worse than what I've witnessed the past 2-3 years.

You talk about both fan bases taking jabs "all in fun" but I do sense some hatred of RU as you pretend to be all nice on their site and then come over here and mock them without objectivity.

Im not one of those guys that think working as a NFL position coach is more valuabe than a college OC. I can be a position coach in the NFL, actually most of us on this board can lol. His run, run, play action pass approach worked in the Big East when he had studs. That system will be tough going against the front 7's of UMich Mich st, OSU, Penn st Nebraska with a mediocre line, young QB and Wr's. Just IMO.

I dont pretend to be nice lol. My approach is always reasonable but I change my tune when people cant handle the truth and start calling names like kids do when they dont get their way. I never go on there to deliberately be negative. When Syracuse is mentioned, which is alot. I express my thoughts. I expect negative responses. Its comes with the territory when you go on another team's board. Its doesnt bother me. At times I give contructive feed back and at other times Im throwing jabs. I know when to stop. Its all in good fun. Dont get all emotional. Its just a online forum. BTW, I liked the Kill hire. He got them 3 wins that they werent suppose to have. They had nothing on offense. Thats smart coaching. Your fans didnt give him enough credit.

what really happened to psu? i am not sure. that was the most horriffic offense against children and they still got off. imho

Im not one of those guys that think working as a NFL position coach is more valuabe than a college OC. I can be a position coach in the NFL, actually most of us on this board can lol. His run, run, play action pass approach worked in the Big East when he had studs. That system will be tough going against the front 7's of UMich Mich st, OSU, Penn st Nebraska with a mediocre line, young QB and Wr's. Just IMO.

I dont pretend to be nice lol. My approach is always reasonable but I change my tune when people cant handle the truth and start calling names like kids do when they dont get their way. I never go on there to deliberately be negative. When Syracuse is mentioned, which is alot. I express my thoughts. I expect negative responses. Its comes with the territory when you go on another team's board. Its doesnt bother me. At times I give contructive feed back and at other times Im throwing jabs. I know when to stop. Its all in good fun. Dont get all emotional. Its just a online forum. BTW, I liked the Kill hire. He got them 3 wins that they werent suppose to have. They had nothing on offense. Thats smart coaching. Your fans didnt give him enough credit.

All true. But to think McNulty didn’t pick up things working with NFL QBs is a stretch. He was responsible for taking Mariotta’s strengths at Oregon and transitioning him to be ready to start in the NFL so he studied Oregon extensively. I agree on Kill doing a great job and he hadn’t been an OC since the early 90’s. And he wasn’t really a QB coach. McNulty is. I think McNulty knows he’s no longer in the Big East and he no longer has Ray Rice. So I doubt it’s going to be run run pass like you remember. But he does have a stable of solid backs with different strengths and two very good pass catching tight ends (one who’s a legitimate NFL prospect in Washington). I agree having a true frosh at QB isn’t ideal and mistakes will be made. But by the time the kids an upperclassmen he will have played A LOT of football. I see 4-5 wins this year (3-6 in conference) with the offense looking better and much more versatile. And while the OL isn’t where it totally needs to be yet, it’s the deepest, most physical bunch we’ve run out there since 2007.

Last edited:
All true. But to think McNulty didn’t pick up things working with NFL QBs is a stretch. He was responsible for taking Mariotta’s strengths at Oregon and transitioning him to be ready to start in the NFL so he studied Oregon extensively. I agree on Kill doing a great job and he hadn’t been an OC since the early 90’s. And he wasn’t really a QB coach. McNulty is. I think McNulty knows he’s no longer in the Big East and he no longer has Ray Rice. So I doubt it’s going to be run run pass like you remember. But he does have a stable of solid backs with different strengths and two very good pass catching tight ends (one who’s a legitimate NFL prospect in Washington). I agree having a true frosh at QB isn’t ideal and mistakes will be made. But by the time the kids an upperclassmen he will have played A LOT of football. I see 4-5 wins this year (3-6 in conference) with the offense looking better and much more versatile. And while the OL isn’t where it totally needs to be yet, it’s the deepest, most physical bunch we’ve run out there since 2007.
Fair points

I was going to mention the same thing about CBB. It's actually turned into a niche sport. Outside of March Madness nobody really cares besides Tobacco Rd, Upstate NY, Indiana, and other communities where it is played at a high level. CFB is a national sport, and culture in the south. I always would cringe when i saw a Syracuse fan telling Clemson fans just wait until basketball season. I wouldn't be surprised if half of those fans have ever seen a college basketball game.

It really comes down to what you think "national relevance" means. If you think it's impossible for the NE to be nationally relevant and you want to compare it to the south - then sure. If you want to have the definition being top 25, battling for a P5 division - then that's doable (and even likely between Cuse, Pitt, BC). But saying "hey, Rutgers and Syracuse are not relevant on the national stage like FSU" is a pretty simple truth that no one here is arguing. And none of that makes it less fun to laugh at the Rutgers dumpster fire.

Also the point is - FSU has more history in MBB and Cuse has more history in CFB, than Rutgers has in their entire athletic dept. So, yeah. It is what it is.

(I'd echo Trueblue25 - stick around. We're not always picking fights ;) )

"we"

I was going to mention the same thing about CBB. It's actually turned into a niche sport. Outside of March Madness nobody really cares besides Tobacco Rd, Upstate NY, Indiana, and other communities where it is played at a high level. CFB is a national sport, and culture in the south. I always would cringe when i saw a Syracuse fan telling Clemson fans just wait until basketball season. I wouldn't be surprised if half of those fans have ever seen a college basketball game.

You're overstating that by a bit. It's lost some viewership - but it' still #2 in college sports. And saying "outside of March Madness" as a qualifier? Remove most sports final playoffs and the product is less enjoyable. The fact that CFB isn't that way and that bowl games aren't as interesting as the season is more a bug than a feature, IMO.

I'm pretty happy with Syracuse's place in the world. I'd like to be ranked more as a CFB team, but you can't beat the August-March run as a college sports fan. Maybe Michigan or Florida or Stanford sees more balance between the two. But it's fun.

Having lived in the deep south, in several locations, still living in the Houston Metro. CFB fans KNOW Syracuse and respect Syracuse. LSU fans knew Syracuse was not a push over. Some schools are too stupid to believe football exists outside their sheltered area, but real fans know much more than they let on.

Fans in Gainesville know Syracuse.
Auburn fans know Syracuse.
All of the Texas P5 schools fans know Syracuse. (You may exclude TTech fans as they don't think any other schools exist, their fans are Kool-Aid drinkers extraordinaire)
Clemson, VATech, Miami, FSU, UNC, NCState, UVA, all know Syracuse. And dis so BEFORE the Orange joined the ACC. (You may recall that SU was invited when FSU was invited to the ACC, but had just formed the Big East football conference)
I can name many other schools but limited the discussion to the southern schools.

All schools have down periods, Syracuse' has been longer but no one is overlooking Syracuse under Babers.

Defend Rutgers all you like, but pretending their wins against nobodies, mediocre schedules and few bowl games is not impressive by any account. Pretending Ash is a good coach is a stretch. I will concede that he was not left as much as many thought, but that is the fault of the writers overrating their recruiting for so long.

Complaining at us for laughing at the fools that Rutgers makes of themselves is beyond the pale. They spend money no school would spend and have no hope of paying it back. They have spent at least a half BILLION dollars more than they have earned in athletics over recent years, all while going from bottom feeder to bottom feeder with a couple of up years. They build a high school stadium and pretend it is a great draw. They hire bad coach after bad coach in all sports. The most recruit-rich region for hoops and on the outskirts of one of the best for lacrosse, Rutgers has nothing to show for it. The list goes on, and on, and on,...

Thanks. And I didn't mean to take any enthusiasm out of it for you guys four days before the season starts. I wish Syracuse a good season (outside of 9/15) and an injury-free one at that. I hope you build on last year's season...it will be good for the ACC. I also am not making light of Syracuse's history by comparing them to Army. I love going to Army games and I try to get to one every couple of years. In fact, if that hypothetical Eastern Conference I posted earlier ever came to fruition, I would prefer Army over Connecticut simply for their football history and venue. And the fact that UCONN fans aren't the nicest people from my experience.
If you want to see the game on 9/15...let us know. We'll get you hooked up

Having lived in the deep south, in several locations, still living in the Houston Metro. CFB fans KNOW Syracuse and respect Syracuse. LSU fans knew Syracuse was not a push over. Some schools are too stupid to believe football exists outside their sheltered area, but real fans know much more than they let on.

Fans in Gainesville know Syracuse.
Auburn fans know Syracuse.
All of the Texas P5 schools fans know Syracuse. (You may exclude TTech fans as they don't think any other schools exist, their fans are Kool-Aid drinkers extraordinaire)
Clemson, VATech, Miami, FSU, UNC, NCState, UVA, all know Syracuse. And dis so BEFORE the Orange joined the ACC. (You may recall that SU was invited when FSU was invited to the ACC, but had just formed the Big East football conference)
I can name many other schools but limited the discussion to the southern schools.

All schools have down periods, Syracuse' has been longer but no one is overlooking Syracuse under Babers.

Defend Rutgers all you like, but pretending their wins against nobodies, mediocre schedules and few bowl games is not impressive by any account. Pretending Ash is a good coach is a stretch. I will concede that he was not left as much as many thought, but that is the fault of the writers overrating their recruiting for so long.

Complaining at us for laughing at the fools that Rutgers makes of themselves is beyond the pale. They spend money no school would spend and have no hope of paying it back. They have spent at least a half BILLION dollars more than they have earned in athletics over recent years, all while going from bottom feeder to bottom feeder with a couple of up years. They build a high school stadium and pretend it is a great draw. They hire bad coach after bad coach in all sports. The most recruit-rich region for hoops and on the outskirts of one of the best for lacrosse, Rutgers has nothing to show for it. The list goes on, and on, and on,...

* No one is “pretending Ash is a good coach”. I believe I said the jury is still out him, which technically it is. You can’t judge a coach’s tenure before 4 years especially when...
* Yeah, he wasn’t left with much. Just like you guys felt Marrone left the cupboard bare for your entrance to the ACC. Flood recruited some decent players, but he didn’t develop anyone and any recruiting inroads made in state during Schiano’s tenure were severely damaged.
* I never said fans down south don't “know” Syracuse. Syracuse is a national brand in BASKETBALL so of course they are well known. Yeah, older SEC/B12 fans who were around in the 90’s know Syracuse used to be good in football. I’m fairly confident the 17-24 y/o demographic (you know, actual college age kids), not so much.
* I don’t begrudge your laughing at Rutgers. Enjoy it if it makes you happy. But I should mention Penn State isn’t over on BWI laughing at RU. They just pay them no mind. Take that for what it’s worth.

If you want to see the game on 9/15...let us know. We'll get you hooked up

Thanks man! The wife and I have been thinking about it. Have a little one though and it might be a long weekend for her. But if we can find a sitter it may be a go. Appreciate the gesture!

Thanks man! The wife and I have been thinking about it. Have a little one though and it might be a long weekend for her. But if we can find a sitter it may be a go. Appreciate the gesture!
It is a noon kick...suggest you drive up Friday after rush...and head back after the game. We can point you to tickets and help you with parking. It might be easiest to stay downtown and shuttle over on gameday.

Rutgers basketball is almost making Rutgers football look successful. How is that even possible? It seems like in a sport where you only need 1-2 good players and 3-4 decent ones to at least be decent, that it would happen even by accident every now and then.

They’ve been like 2-16, 3-15 in the league! Wow. Was told their last few coaches were “good” too, even by some Cuse fans.

It’s almost like you’d have to try to be as bad as they’ve been in hoops the last 10 years.

Rutgers becomes the first two-time winner of the Fulmer Cup (2016 & 2018).

#Family
tumblr_nh2gvib46e1splbmyo6_r1_250.gif