The alliance scheduling agreement already looks dead in football | Syracusefan.com

The alliance scheduling agreement already looks dead in football

Alsacs

Living Legend

The Big Ten is staying at 9 conference games to maximize a new TV contract.

They won’t play 9 B1G games and 2 ACC/Pac-12 games every year.

@Dan_Hope·1h

Gene Smith said that when the Big Ten/Pac-12/ACC Alliance started, there was more conversation about reducing to eight conference games and scheduling more non-conference games against each other, but he says they’ve moved away from that, believing nine conference games is best.

@Dan_Hope·1h

Gene Smith said he believes the College Football Playoff will eventually expand to 12 teams – “I'll be surprised if it doesn't” – but he doesn’t know when it will happen.

@Dan_Hope·48m

Gene Smith says he doesn’t think playing annual games against the ACC and Pac-12 would be worth playing only eight Big Ten games and potentially not being able to play non-conference games against teams like Alabama, Texas, Notre Dame, etc.

I would think that TV rather have 56 B1G conference games, 7 B1G home games vs P12, 6 B1G home games vs ACC, and 1 B1G home game vs Notre Dame. So 70 P5 games but with more intersectional matchups. Instead of having 63 B1G conference games and 7 B1G home OOC P5 games.

If you include ND in the alliance then that problem is solved. But the SEC games would be gone for sure. Wasn't that the point of the alliance though? To isolate the SEC? And how often does the B1G even play the SEC?

ACC might be in a bit of a pickle. Looks like:

B12 9+1
B1G 9+1
P12 9+1
SEC 9+1

There might not be enough teams out there to get the ACC schools 2 P5 OOC games each even with the 5 ND games. Maybe ND will take on a 6th game sine they too will struggle to find 10 P5 games. If the ACC is at 9, then it will hurt for the playoffs.

This gets my vote.

I think that the Big Ten understands that "Content is King" and that playing an extra Big Ten game and an OOC game against teams like Alabama, Georgia or ND is worth more than being required to rotate games against all Pac 12 and ACC teams.

I think that the Big Ten understands that "Content is King" and that playing an extra Big Ten game and an OOC game against teams like Alabama, Georgia or ND is worth more than being required to rotate games against all Pac 12 and ACC teams.

Yes, if you assume there is a rotation but there shouldn't be. That was never the idea. Allow the schools to schedule who they want within the alliance. Ohio State wouldn't be playing teams like Oregon State, Cal, Syracuse, Wake but would be playing teams Oregon, USC, Miami, Clemson. That isn't more valuable than Ohio State vs teams like Minnesota or Illinois? Content with more top teams playing each other vs regional content.

With the alliance apparently dead, what will the ACC do to strengthen the league?

Yes, indeed. The first time one of these conferences or ND does anything good for the sport instead of straight greed, will be the 1st.

There’s so much they could do and should do (ACC is advocating for some of these reforms) but greed will win out until it’s clear that they’ve harmed the sport to a point where the cash cow is at risk. Hopefully, they’ll have time to work together to salvage something.

Any faith in any of these institutions is misplaced.

Psst - hey B1G. If you drop your FCS game or G5 game for an alliance game, the TV money is even bigger and it screws the SEC?

Am I wrong here?!

Psst - hey B1G. If you drop your FCS game or G5 game for an alliance game, the TV money is even bigger and it screws the SEC?

Am I wrong here?!
The B1G wants to control more inventory.
An extra conference game they own all those games.

The B1G is leaving ESPN and ACC is owned by ESPN.

The ACC would own B1G games which mean less money for the B1G.

They are just saying we would rather get more money for ourselves than get a Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, USC, Oregon, UCLA every other year.

It’s not dumb. The B1G already got rid of FCS games.

This is so bad for the game of college football.

Alliance with 8+2 and SEC/B12 at 9+1 could have been 286 conference games and 59 intersectional games which is 345 P5 on P5 action.

72 SEC conference games
56 ACC conference games
56 B1G conference games
54 B12 conference games
48 P12 conference games
14 B1G vs P12 games
12 ACC vs B1G games
11 B12 vs SEC games
7 ACC vs P12 games
5 ACC vs Notre Dame games
4 ACC vs SEC games
2 B1G vs ND games
2 P12 vs ND games
1 B12 vs P12 game
1 ND vs SEC game

Instead we will get 299 conference games and 46 intersectional games which is still 345 P5 on P5 action.

72 SEC conference games
63 B1G conference games
56 ACC conference games
54 B12 conference games
54 P12 conference games
46 OOC P5 games

So we are gaining 13 conference only regional games while losing 13 intersectional games. For fans that sucks and for TV networks that isn't good either.

The B1G wants to control more inventory.
An extra conference game they own all those games.

The B1G is leaving ESPN and ACC is owned by ESPN.

The ACC would own B1G games which mean less money for the B1G.

They are just saying we would rather get more money for ourselves than get a Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, USC, Oregon, UCLA every other year.

It’s not dumb. The B1G already got rid of FCS games.

The inventory doesn't change at all.

9 conference games (63) + 1 P5 OOC game (7) is 70 B1G home games
8 conference games (56) + 2 P5 OOC games (14) is 70 B1G home games

Maybe the B1G presidents will value building relationships with like minded conferences more than the B1G ADs, who appear to be making this decision based on dollars alone.

I doubt it.

Why agree to an alliance and make a big announcement if you are going to reject the plan a month or two afterwards?

College athletics is such a mess.

Maybe the best move for the ACC is to dissolve, then immediately reform with all the members joining back. Renegotiate the bad TV contract that way.

It is juvenile, unprincipled and morally reprehensible. Perfect for the new world of college athletics.

The inventory doesn't change at all.

9 conference games (63) + 1 P5 OOC game (7) is 70 B1G home games
8 conference games (56) + 2 P5 OOC games (14) is 70 B1G home games
The Big Ten controls all home games.
By playing 9 conference games they control all 7 of those games.

Those would allow more conference games played.

Would Minnesota rather play Arizona and NC State or Michigan and Michigan State more.

Same for Iowa or Illinois.

Maybe the B1G presidents will value building relationships with like minded conferences more than the B1G ADs, who appear to be making this decision based on dollars alone.

I doubt it.

Why agree to an alliance and make a big announcement if you are going to reject the plan a month or two afterwards?

Maybe the best move for the ACC is to dissolve, then immediately reform with all the members joining back. Renegotiate the bad TV contract that way.

It is juvenile, unprincipled and morally reprehensible. Perfect for the new world of college athletics.
This wouldn’t be smart. What would stop the Big Ten for sniping Florida State in this scenario. The GOR are protects the ACC as you and others have said.
Get rid of those GOR and watch every ACC team do what is their own best interest.

The Big Ten is doing what will make them more money.
It’s not their responsibility to help the Pac-12 or ACC make more money.

The ACC needs Miami, Florida State, North Carolina to get their chit together.

If the ACC wins the money will follow. Being medicore hurts that.
Swofford effffed the conference.

It’s why the conference needs to do whatever keeps the big dogs happy.

The Big Ten controls all home games.
By playing 9 conference games they control all 7 of those games.

Those would allow more conference games played.

Would Minnesota rather play Arizona and NC State or Michigan and Michigan State more.

Same for Iowa or Illinois.

Yes, 7 more conference games are played but 14 less OOC games are played. The net to the home games is 0.0 so the total inventory is the same.

The 2nd part is valid. But then don't have an alliance in the 1st place. What was the point?

The B1G had a moment of weakness when the SEC added Texas/OU. It's good to show that vulnerability.

Enough time has passed. There's no need for an alliance. Everyone just figure out their own schedule.

The Big Ten is going to get 1 billion per year in their new TV rights.

My guess is Fox and CBS will split it.

ESPN cut out.
CBS will replace SEC with B1G they won’t get the first pick but get the second pick each week and play it at 3:30.

They won’t get the conference title game as it will stsy on Fox.

CBS just wants a good game.

It has to grow and add more teams.
There aren't really any available. I don't think Big12 teams would leave for the ACC, both conference are comparable, no huge upside.

I doubt it.

I said before the ACC should dissolve, and join the Big 12, or reform under a new name and negotiate a better contract.

Reactions: gbo