The Bold Brave Men of Archbold 1954: Cornell | Syracusefan.com

The Bold Brave Men of Archbold 1954: Cornell

SWC75

Bored Historian
In the days of old, when knights were bold
Every city had its warrior man.
In the days of new, when fights are few
You will view them from a big grandstand.
In our college town one has great renown
If the game of football he should play.
With his pig-skin ball he is cheered by all,
He's the Saltine Warrior of today.
The Saltine Warrior is a bold, bad man,
And his weapon is a pigskin ball,
When on the field he takes a good, firm stand,
He's the hero of large and small.
He will rush toward the goal with might and main
His opponents all fight, but they fight in vain,
Because the Saltine Warrior is a bold, bad man,
And victorious over all.

We are early in a new era in SU football- the Doug Marrone era. 60 years ago, another era began- the Ben Schwartzwalder Era, during which SU rose from its greatest depths to its greatest heights, and then all the way back down again. It was the era into which I was born, the one I remember from my youth. I can still recall listening to the games on the radio and waiting until Tuesday to see the grainy black and white films of the previous Saturday’s games on the local news. The music played over these highlights was not “Down, Down the Field”. It was “The Saltine Warrior”. My Dad thought he knew the beginning of it and would sing “The Saltine Warrior was a bold, brave man”. I later found that the line was “bold, bad, man”. But that’s not the way I learned it and it’s not the way I like it. My heroes were not “bad” men. They were “brave” men. They were the “Bold, Brave Men of Archbold”.

The Build-Up

Jack Slattery noted the irony of the fact that this was apparently the last year of the Syracuse-Cornell series, (it wasn’t quite) and that Cornell “Cornell doesn’t think enough of Syracuse to place the Orange on it’s schedule in future years, but regards a victory over Syracuse to the extent that it details five men to scout Ben Schwartzwalder’s team…There has been some bitterness between the teams and some unpleasantness between the coaches at times. However, that is all in the past now. At least claims have been made to that effect. And if two universities couldn’t overcome petty differences and arrange to meet in a football game then the educator’s education is remiss.” The feeling was that if this was the last game in the series, Cornell wanted very badly to win it. So did Syracuse. Bill Reddy reported “It’s no secret that Syracuse is eager to play Cornell anytime it can be arranged….the series has become one of the highlights of each football season in Central New York.” Since the series resumed in 1933, The Big Red had won 11 times and the Orange 9. The round-robin between Syracuse, Cornell and Colgate had been a great three-way rivalry. Surprisingly a complete round-robin was only played 20 times. Cornell swept it’s rivals 10 times, Syracuse 5 and Colgate once. But most of the games were fiercely competitive and 1954 was no exception.

Slattery noted that Cornell had gotten off to a bad start much like the Orange and that critics wanted Coach Lefty James’ head but that now that they were getting injured players back they would prove a formidable opponent. The biggest concern was that Billy DeGraff, the Cornell quarterback, “shot his touchdown pass total up to 8, one of the best records along the eastern seaboard.” That was in six games, during which they lost to Colgate 14-19, Rise 20-41, Harvard, 12-13 and Yale 21-47 before turning around to shut out Princeton, (the dominant Ivy League team in those days) 27-0 and Columbia 26-0. The previous year The Big Red had started a bunch of sophomores, (remember that freshmen were not eligible so sophs were first-year players), in 1953 and overcome a 1-3 non-conference record to go 3-0-2 in the conference to win the league. They were looking forward to another big finish.

That made them the pre-season favorites in 1954, which made the 0-4 start hard to take. Besides DeGraff, Cornell had two fine halfbacks in Dick Meade and Dick Jackson and a strong fullback in Guy Bedrossian. Johnny Morris was a 9.9 sprinter, (in the 100 yard dash). Two 1954 sophs, Art Boland and Cyrus Benson, showed a lot of speed in backing them up. Boland was averaging 7.2 yards on 32 carries and was being called “The Lightening from Lynn, (Massachusetts). The frosh also produced Art Sosenko, said to be a better passer than DeGraff, 205 pound fullback Steve Miles and halfback Jim Suiter. 6-4 Stan Intihar and Bruce Brenner were two more of the ’53 sophs. They had been among the injured but they were back. Cornell had 4 other TD passes from backs other than DeGraff, (for a total of 12, second in the nation), and was completing 40% of their passes. DeGraff was 28 for 74, (37.8%) for 415 yards, an impressive 14.8 yards per completion. Syracuse was second in the country in kickoff returns with 26.3 yard per pop.

Ben Schwartzwalder was still tinkering with his pass defense, even though they showed improvement vs. Holy Cross. Ben had had some success using quarterback Mickey Rich at safety and dropping his ends, Jim Ridlon and Tom Richardson, back in pass coverage, (to become, essentially, outside line-backers). There was praise for the SU running game and an improved punting game but continued concern over the lack of a passing game. Ben said “If Cornell uses an 11 man line, we’ll throw a few.” Ben was hopeful of continuing to improve his pass defense because the new formation was still experimental and Perkins and Trolio had just been in the hospital before the Holy Cross game, (which didn‘t prevent them from running the ball well but pass defense is harder).

Mickey Rich played tribute to linemen. He had played defensive end vs. Holy Cross on defense and quarterback on offense. “Mickey claims that an afternoon on the line makes a backfield man really appreciate what a tough assignment linemen have. Rich says it’s shame they get so little attention while the backs capture all the headlines. …’Believe me, every time I make a move I hurt all over and I don’t think I’ll ever forget what a great job those guys do.”

An article claimed that the two teams running attacks were being ignored in all the talk of passing. Ray Perkins and Art Trolio were averaging over 100 yards rushing per game between them. Perkins had scored on runs of 78 and 74 yards on Cornell in the 1952 game and gone 68 yards vs. Holy Cross the previous week. Trolio was averaging 7.5 yards per carry. Dick Jackson and Dick Meade of Cornell were not only strong, fast runners but also fine pass receivers.

The game was to be played in Ithaca, leading SU SID Arnie Burdick to project a tie. “Syracuse hasn’t won on the road and Cornell hasn’t won at home.” The odds makers made the Big Red a one point favorite. Bill Reddy felt that was appropriate because we’d missed so many extra points on the season. (The line went up to -3 by the time of the game.)

On Tuesday a snowstorm hit, forcing the teams to practice indoors and reminding many of the storm the 1953 game was played in, (that was 11 inches: this was six) . Trainer Julie Reichel was happy: “They’re all in top-flight condition now and I’d hate to see any of them catch cold.” But Ben Schwartzwalder had other ideas. “No matter what the weatherman offers today, (Wednesday), the Orange will work outdoors. “We need the work’, said Schwartzwalder, ‘and there’s not many days left.’” The best Ben could do on Tuesday was a “dummy signal session” in gym shoes with no pads and some calisthenics. They were said to be working on “several new formations and ideas that are going to be unveiled against the Cayugans.” SU was in Archbold Gym: Cornell was in something called the “Bacon Cage.” Cornell remained indoors on Wednesday while Ben had his men outside in the rain, in case the conditions on Saturday were sloppy.

Jack Slattery noted that a further problem for the Orange was that “a huge chunk of the practice field (was) taken from them when the state started construction on the back part of the field Monday…the kids were kept on their toes dodging lacrosse balls, soccer balls and itinerant bulldozers…they make so much noise that players can’t hear their coaches and the quarterbacks have a battle on their hands making themselves heard.” I’m not sure what practice field this would have been or what the state was constructing.

A picture appeared in Wednesday’s Herald-Journal of two Orange “cubs”, (freshman), 5-8 175 pound back Bobby Hart, who had scored twice vs. the Army Plebes and 6-4 245 Jim Armstrong. I’ve not heard of either one of them and the uniforms they are wearing look nothing like I’ve seen SU wear. Dark, (presumably blue) jerseys with off-color, (orange) lettering and while pants. They didn’t have helmets on. The jerseys had three narrow elbow strips, also likely orange. Saturday’s paper had a shot of the SU frosh losing to the Cornell Frosh in Archbold Stadium, 12-25. Hart is shown catching a pass in the same uniform. The Helmet is orange with a blue stripe. They must have looked something like Army at that time but with Orange for gold and “royal” blue for black.

This game is often presented as the real beginning of Jim Brown’s stardom. (Although you could hardly tell that from the final score.) Here’s how Jim tells it in his autobiography, “Out of Bounds”:
“Game Six was against Cornell. Our backs were still hurting, they’d moved me up to the second team. None of our runners were doing much and the fans started chanting my name. ‘We want Brown…We want Brown”. Man, I got a chill in my body. Then the guy who started in front of me busted up his ankle. Coaches called my name. I flew into our huddle. I broke a TD for 54 yards, finished with about 150. I started every game the rest of my college career.”

Cornell kicked off, winning the toss but preferring the wind. Ray Perkins returned it to the 30. An offside penalty gave the Orange a first down on the 45. On the next play, Art Trolio was trapped for a two yard loss and hurt his ankle. He was carried off the field and Jim came in. (The paper doesn’t report that the crowd at Schoellkoff Field was chanting his name.) Perkins got the ball on the next two plays and ran it all the way to the Cornell 30. Jim had a four yard gain but the Orange wound up giving it over on downs.

DeGraff pitched to Jackson who ran 30 yards to the Syracuse 45. But Cornell was forced to punt. Bill Wetzel fumbled on the first play and Cornell had it on the SU 17. Jackson ran 9 yards in two off tackle plays and then Meade ran it around end for 8 yards and the touchdown. The kick made it Cornell 7 Syracuse 0 at 10:16 of the first period.

Dick Mathewson picked off an Orange pass and returned it to the SU 30. Runs by Meade and Jackson got the ball to the 16. DeGraff passed to Meade who ran it to the 4. But DeGraff had been beyond the line of scrimmage and the play was called back. Then Jim Brown tossed Boland for a five yard loss. On the next play Jim intercepted a DeGraff pass in the end zone. (Who said he couldn’t play defense?).

On the second play after the interception, Big Jim broke through for 29 yards to the Orange 48 as the first quarter ended. But a penalty and a “brilliant overhead catch” by Meade of a long Mickey Rich pass on the Cornell 22 ended the drive. A Cornell punt was downed at midfield and two plays later, Brown again burst through the line for 30 yards to the Big Red 18. “Schwert fought his way to the 11 on an end around and Perkins dove for the first down at the 6. Laacksonen went to the two but it was ruled Syracuse had illegally shifted and was penalized to the 21.” (Apparently, that was a 15 yard penalty in those days.) By now the value of having Jim Brown on your team was being recognized and he got the ball on four straight plays. He made it back to the 2 but, as it had been goal to go, Cornell took over on downs.

They were forced to punt and a short kick was returned by Perkins to the 27. Bill Wetzel burst to the 14 for a first down. But three runs got only four yards and Mickey Rich’s fourth down pass sailed through the end zone. With a minute left in the half, DeGraff found Meade on a short pass over the middle. He caught it on the 30 and cut through the defense all the way for a score. “Meade, taking a short pass from DeGraff, did a brilliant job of running, used his interference smartly dodged and outmaneuvered tacklers and went 72 yards for a touchdown….one of the prettiest runs ever seen on any gridiron.“ But there was a flag, the fifth time a Meade score had been called back that season. A roughing the punter call gave Cornell a couple of extra plays but they couldn’t make it pas midfield before time expired.

Cornell took the second half kick-off and drove 59 yards to the Syracuse 13 but Perkins intercepted another DeGraff end zone pass.
Mickey Rich hurt his arm on the following possession and SU stuck with the ground game. “Cornell’s deepest defender was only seven yards beyond the line of scrimmage.” 11 in the box. Two straight runs by Brown were turned back on second and third and inches. “Steve” Van Buren, (That‘s in the Post Standard: The Herald American calls him Jim), blocked Bill Wetzel’s punt and Cornell took over on the SU four yard line. DeGraff carried to the one and Bedrosian, the big fullback, took it to the one foot line. A quarterback sneak by DeGraff pushed it to the three inch-line. Jackson took it the rest of the way- barely- and DeGraff kicked the point to make it 0-14.

“On the ensuing kick-off Perkins took the ball on his won 1drove up the middle and burst out of a wave of tacklers. He seemed to be away but fleet Art Boland caught him from behind on the 11. Then the play was called back because of an illegal use of hands penalty and Syracuse tried to get started from it’s own 17. “Rich faked a pass and fumbled handing off to Brown. Joe Simon recovered for Cornell at the Syracuse 18. Three plays failed to gain and a fourth down pass was intercepted by Ridlon who took it on the 8 and came out to the 27.”

Runs by Brown and Perkins and a penalty on Cornell got the ball to the SU 47. “Brown went off right end and was temporarily halted at the Cornell 45 but he bowled over the tackler and cut back to dash 53 yards to pay dirt…The big sophomore seemed to be hemmed in before he had gone 10 yards. He got away from two tacklers at the Cornell 45 and sidestepped a safetyman prettily as he went all the way for the tally.” Perkins was wide left on the conversion and it was 6-14 1:46 into the fourth period.
A short punt by Schwert was returned by DeGraff to the SU 43 but Boland fumbled on the next, Paul Slick recovering on the Cornell 48. Syracuse was forced to punt. Laacksonen tried to run for it but was tackled at the 46 and Cornell took over. “A clipping penalty against Cornell gave Syracuse another chance since the foul occurred on a fourth down punt and Jim Ridlon gave Syracuse rooters something to yell about when he raced 18 yards on an end-around play. Then Cornell, led by Van Buren, who twice broke through to throw would-be passers for big losses, took the last bit of starch out of the Syracuse attack and the Redmen managed to keep the ball for all but one futile Syracuse play.”

SU won the stat battle. Led by Jim Brown’s 151 yards on 17 carries, SU rushed for 243 yards to only 155 for Cornell. Cornell’s vaunted passing attack was held to a measly 11 yards on two completions and 3 intercepted, two in the end zone in 13 attempts. SU completed 4 of 13 for 39 yards with 2 picks. Syracuse had 14 first downs to 9. But SU lost 3 fumbles to 1 and was penalized for 63 yards to 33. Actually more yards were nullified by penalties than were walked off, (it might be fun to include both in “penalty yards”.

Some great pictures were published: Dick Meade crossing the goal line with no one near him on the 8 yard run in the first period. The sun was behind the photographers and the players are perfectly lighted. Meade is in a classic pose: front leg up in the air in a “L” shape, back foot perpendicular, with the toes pushing off the ground. About five yards away are two SU players with a Cornell blocker between them, realizing the play is over. Don Laacksonen is shown driving to the two yard line in a shot from the back of the end zone, looking to the scoreboard at the other end. Three guys are hitting him at once. He’s still upright but not for long. And the play was negated by the 15 yard illegal shift penalty. Dick Jackson is shown on his big yard first period run, with a wall of blockers in front of him, two defenders awaiting their impact and a guy running up from behind, vainly looking to take Jackson down. Dick Meade takes the pass at his own 30 that he ran all the way in, which was called back. DeGraff is running toward the near sideline as he passes, apparently on a roll-out. Jim Brown and (I think) Eddie Albright are just behind Meade at about the 25 and 28, respectively. Jim is turning toward him. The pass, (indicated by an arrow), seems to have led Meade perfectly and he was able to catch the ball in stride and keep ahead of Jim and Eddie. The final shot is of Big Jim running around Art Boland for a 15 yard run in the second quarter.

Cornell went on to beat Dartmouth and Pennsylvania to finish 5-4 after a 4-5 start. They tied Yale for the Ivy League title, (even though it wasn’t an official league until two years later). For Syracuse it was frustrating to lose it’s fourth game in six starts, six years into Ben Schwartzwalder’s tenure, especially to a local rival and in a game they could have, maybe should have, won. But they’d found a new running star. #44 was starting to mean something.

My primary source is the Post Standard Archive. I also used Street & Smiths 1954 football preview, Upperdeck’s site for roster numbers and Jim Brown‘s autobiography, “Out of Bounds“.

The 20 times Syracuse, Cornell and Colgate played a round robin:

1897 Cornell beat Syracuse 16-0 and Colgate 6-0. Syracuse and Colgate tied 6-6. Champion: Cornell
1937 Syracuse beat Cornell 14-6. Cornell beat Colgate 40-7. So, naturally, Colgate beat Syracuse 7-0. No champion
1938 Syracuse beat Cornell 19-17 and Colgate 7-0. Cornell beat Colgate 15-6. Champion: Syracuse
1939 Cornell beat Syracuse 19-6 and Colgate 14-12. Syracuse beat Colgate 7-0. Champion: Cornell
1940 Cornell beat Syracuse 33-6 and Colgate 34-0. Syracuse beat Colgate 7-6. Champion: Cornell
1941 Cornell beat Syracuse 6-0 and Colgate 21-2. Syracuse and Colgate tied 19-19. Champion: Cornell
1942 Colgate beat Cornell 18-6 and Syracuse 14-0 Syracuse beat Cornell 12-7. Champion: Colgate
1944 Cornell beat Syracuse 39-6. Colgate beat Cornell 14-7. So, naturally, Syracuse beat Colgate 43-13. No champion
1945 Cornell beat Syracuse 26-14 and Colgate 20-6. Colgate beat Syracuse 7-6. Champion: Cornell
1946 Syracuse beat Cornell 14-7. Cornell beat Colgate 13-9. So, naturally, Colgate beat Syracuse 25-7. No champion
1947 Cornell beat Syracuse 12-6 and Colgate 27-18. Syracuse beat Colgate 7-0. Champion: Cornell
1948 Cornell beat Syracuse 34-7 and Colgate 34-7. Colgate beat Syracuse 20-10. Champion: Cornell
1949 Cornell beat Syracuse 33-7 and Colgate 39-27. Syracuse beat Colgate 35-7. Champion: Cornell
1950 Cornell beat both Syracuse and Colgate 26-7. Colgate beat Syracuse 19-14. Champion: Cornell
1951 Cornell beat Syracuse 21-14 and Colgate 41-18. Syracuse beat Colgate 9-0. Champion: Cornell
1952 Syracuse beat Cornell 26-6 and Colgate 20-14. Colgate beat Cornell 14-7. Champion: Syracuse
1953 Syracuse beat Cornell 26-0 and Colgate 34-18. Cornell beat Colgate 27-7. Champion: Syracuse
1954 Colgate beat Cornell 19-14. Cornell beat Syracuse 14-6. So naturally, Syracuse beat Colgate 31-12. No champion
1957 Syracuse beat Cornell 34-0 and Colgate 34-6. Colgate beat Cornell 14-13. Champion: Syracuse
1958 Syracuse beat Cornell 55-0 and Colgate 47-0. Cornell beat Colgate 13-0. Champion: Syracuse

It was a new era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuselegend

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom