The Carrier Dome temperature | Syracusefan.com

The Carrier Dome temperature

Garrett_TD23

Walk On
One of the biggest concerns for Southerners is going to cold places to play football. I'd imagine the Carrier Dome is some what heated and keeps the body heat in and snow out. So what kind of temperatures can we expect in the Carrier Dome?

One of the biggest concerns for Southerners is going to cold places to play football. I'd imagine the Carrier Dome is some what heated and keeps the body heat in and snow out. So what kind of temperatures can we expect in the Carrier Dome?
We keep the AC on year round -- set to a cool 68 degrees

Brisk. Anything over 50 degrees, and we break into a sweat. So dress warm.

Thanks for stopping by. They're just messing with you.

The Dome is ridiculously hot and humid for early season football games. We've taken advantage of many a poorly conditioned team who came in expecting an air conditioned venue only to spend 3 hours playing football in a sauna. Ironic that a building named after an AC company has no AC. As the season wears on, it cools down a bit, but it's never exactly cool in there.

Sometimes it snows in there. But, they will never show you that on TV.

Sometimes it snows in there. But, they will never show you that on TV.

I saw it raining in the dome once. True Story Bro. (hint: it was melting snow)

I remember back in 2005 we had 6" of snow and they handed out shovels as we entered the Dome...

How about a straight answer for the guy.

For the early Sept home games --- when it's hot out (Not Florida "Hot" but Upstate NY "Hot), the dome is both hot and stuffy. It's uncomfortable. But even then it isn't Mississippi in August.

You may a little cultural filter here. New Yorkers --- from both Upstate and Downstate --- are notorious "whiners" and see the problems associated just about everything.

Part of the problem is the very high air pressure in the Dome which tends to magnify the problem. The roof is held up by air pressure. When you leave the dome through a regular door you are literally blown out the door.

For the rest of the games, the temperature is essentially room temperature. No one wears a coat watching a game in the dome.

It can be a challenging place for opposing teams to play in. The high air pressure can magnify the noise. And there isn't the dome in the field that you wuld find on an outdoor surface.

But unless we can improve the quality of the football team on the field, you won't have to worry about noise.

The City of Syracuse is nothing to write home about. But Central NY in September and early October can be a fantastic trip for Floridians, who have just suffered through a Florida summer.

townie72... you don't sound like a townie to me. you sound like a typical NYC area ahole that hates on the salt city. explain yourself and why you would say the city of Syracuse is nothing to write home about? He asked about dome temperature...not your annoying opinion of the city as a whole.

your FSU team was here a couple years ago in the Dome and should have lost actually. Don't you remember?

There are holes in the teflon. It can get quite cold on windy days. Basketball court often gets slippery. Home court advantage.

Of course, Big East $ only allowed us to use duct tape. Hoping ACC $ allow us to patch with something that will hold a little longer.

Of course part II, this post probably made Townie mad. This is a serious place for serious discussions. You kids want to joke around, then you go down to the pizza parlor with the other convicts, not in my house!

For being named after an A/C company, I find the Dome insanely hot and humid by about halftime of games. Then again, I am ok with it. It gets pretty bad if you are sitting up in the high 300's. Definately want a thermo jacket, hand warmers, gloves, winter hat, long underwear and arctic boots for the walk up to the Dome though. :)

For the games in late august and September its hotter than 2 rats screwing in a wool sock. After september it gets better and is very comfortable for the rest of the year and for all of basketball season.

I was in a class and Bob Brotzki came in to speak with us about all things SU football. He actually remarked that the Dome is tough when it's packed and it has less to do with the noise as it does with how stuffy and humid it gets with that many bodies packed inside. It gets really warm when it's near capacity and visiting teams usually don't expect it.

It can be the hottest, most humid place you will play in.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

It can be the hottest, most humid place you will play in.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, that seems to benefit the southern teams more than SU. They (southern schools) are used to the heat. We've played southern teams to start the season off and SU seems to be dragging at the end of the games and the southern teams not so much.

Unfortunately, that seems to benefit the southern teams more than SU. They (southern schools) are used to the heat. We've played southern teams to start the season off and SU seems to be dragging at the end of the games and the southern teams not so much.

Kind of like Wake? :confused:

It's not the heat it's the humidity is an accurate cliche with the dome.

Early season games get hot but not unbearable. Late season, bring your jacket for tailgating w/ a sweatshirt underneath it. Leave the jacket in the car and suffer through a bit of cold in the bus line and the walk across the quad. Once you get in the dome, lose the sweatshirt as it is T shirt weather.

It's truly a unique atmosphere and we've seen a fair amount of players, both home and away, suffer cramping as a result. End game is it will be nothing like any late season away trips to BC if that was your concern. The weather @ Pitt can get a bit ugly though.

We sell beer. That is all you need to know. :)
That's the only thing any opposing team's fans will need to know. And they're very welcome.

We need to crank up the heat every game and become the best warm weather team in the nation.

townie72... you don't sound like a townie to me. you sound like a typical NYC area ahole that hates on the salt city. explain yourself and why you would say the city of Syracuse is nothing to write home about? He asked about dome temperature...not your annoying opinion of the city as a whole.

Get a grip. You're a little hyper-sensitive. I liked living in Syracuse and I actually liked the city when I was in school there. It was a pleasant place to live. Not much traffic. Not much deterioration of older neighborhoods (at least in the 60's and 70's).

But if you think Salt City is any kind of tourist destination for anyone, you need to get out to more places. Syracuse is what it is ... an old city in a cold climate that has seen better economic times. The downtown area isn't awful and the Hill area around the University is passable.

I's recommend to people from Florida that they get out into CNY to see some of the really great places like Cazenovia and Skaneatles. I'd say do a wine tour in the Finger Lakes. Of course, if your taste is Armory Square and Dinosaur BBQ, then there is that.

But I have it on good authority they have BBQ in Florida. They don't, however, have any Finger Lakes, any Great Lakes, no 1000 Islands and they also don't gave real grass on their golf courses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom