the change in philosophy is unbelievable (quantity of plays and first downs) | Syracusefan.com

the change in philosophy is unbelievable (quantity of plays and first downs)

Millhouse

Living Legend
we have only improved 4% in first downs per play

but we've gone from 115th in first downs per game to 22nd.

this years count of plays run is already 80% of last year's total.

wonder how much the threat of 2nd and 6 getting beat for a long pass is making the D play more honest. we went for home runs on 3rd/4th and short 4-5 times in the last game alone. we take more shots and we make more plays. add in 10 or so 4th down conversions to keep drives moving.

did it help that we only had about 5 1st downs a game last year

Some article it was posted we are turning in 20 more offensive plays again compared to last year, or about 25% more.

we have only improved 4% in first downs per play

but we've gone from 115th in first downs per game to 22nd.

this years count of plays run is already 80% of last year's total.

Don't you know it doesn't matter.

I was reading one of the Roanoke Times articles from the VT perspective...it mentioned that our fourth down conversions (4 of 5) yielded an additional 24 offensive plays in total. A hidden stat that probably yielded huge dividends in that fourth quarter- the Tech players themselves admitted to being completely gassed. It's so refreshing to have a staff that understands the benefits of an aggressive approach.

I was reading one of the Roanoke Times articles from the VT perspective...it mentioned that our fourth down conversions (4 of 5) yielded an additional 24 offensive plays in total. A hidden stat that probably yielded huge dividends in that fourth quarter- the Tech players themselves admitted to being completely gassed. It's so refreshing to have a staff that understands the benefits of an aggressive approach.
yes!

we've gone for it 17 times this year, last year 15

7th in attempts this year, 99th last year

You could see that with their (VT) poor of tackling in the 4th. Stricklands TD run looked like he was running through tackling dummies.

You could see that with their (VT) poor of tackling in the 4th. Stricklands TD run looked like he was running through tackling dummies.

When it happened live, I told my wife "I think they thought the play got whistled dead."

And half of those were fake punts
And I was screaming "fake punt" before most of them. If I can sniff that out then we are in trouble.

Which actually brings up another point. Our play calling in the past has been, at times, predictable. Now there is no time for me to sit back and try and anticipate what's coming next. That's nice. Even had someone tell me yesterday what a pleasure it is to watch this offense - and they don't give a hoot about us.

When it happened live, I told my wife "I think they thought the play got whistled dead."
It made me immediately look at the clock and see if this was one of the situations where you let the other team score instead of running extra time so you can get the ball back. Don't think that woulda made sense then, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom