The Coyle decision | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

The Coyle decision

I agree that no one is a better fan because they support the coach, or because they want change. We're all obviously enormous fans. But there are definitely sides, as we've seen on this board. The board has been completely overrun by the two sides just going back and forth at each other, and it's gotten freaking unbearable. It's taking the fun out of actually being a "fan." How many times can people just yell back and forth at each other, and in how many threads? And I'm not saying any one side is more right than the other, either. Both sides, I think, have some valid reasons to think the way they do. But my god...the smugness and lack of civility from some posters on both sides is just making this board godawful lately.

To your point neither side is innocent. I tend to behave according to how I I am treated. A person I disagree with like Chris gets more mature responses while the person Anomander responded to would get less patience.
Your position is fine I happen to disagree with your post as this is a fan messageboard and we aren't doing well. Anything inappropriate is censored by the moderators who have a thankless job.

What should be debated? I don't see a solution in your message. If you got one I would love to hear it.

To your point neither side is innocent. I tend to behave according to how I I am treated. A person I disagree with like Chris gets more mature responses while the person Anomander responded to would get less respect.
Your position is fine I happen to disagree with your post as this is a fan messageboard and we aren't doing well. Anything inappropriate is censored by the moderators who have a thankless job.

What should be debated? I don't see a solution in your message. If you got one I would love to hear it.
I don't have a solution, and I'm not saying there shouldn't be debate. That's what a forum is for. But I'm just tired of the condescension, told ya so's, you're an idiot for thinking that, etc, types of posts. I can't remember who said this on this board once...CTO maybe?...but you can disagree without being disagreeable.

I don't have a solution, and I'm not saying there shouldn't be debate. That's what a forum is for. But I'm just tired of the condescension, told ya so's, you're an idiot for thinking that, etc, types of posts. I can't remember who said this on this board once...CTO maybe?...but you can disagree without being disagreeable.

This is fair point. I would agree with this

Those wise words were indeed were spoken by cto.

That's a larger argument, no? For all intents and purposes, we can ignore the endowment in this discussion. It's a non-starter unless you're single handily able to change decades of law, convince the BoT, chancellor, and the academic side to use it, and get it in a usable form - all prior to the week after the BC game.
Well, look, I'm a man of many talents.

What makes you think Shafer can "turn it around" when he's the reason things have to be turned around?

When he took this job, there was nothing to turn around. He inherited a rising program. All he had to do was keep it steady. He has failed. Adios.

What exactly did he inherit? Was it the outstanding staff that was left behind for him...was it the 3 year starting QB, or the roster chock full of 4 and 5 star recruits? He inherited a program that was pretty mediocre at best with a full staff that left and a roster of mostly 2 and 3 star recruits.

Really? I see program builders who are winning at their current level. I see innovators who run a fun exciting offense, and have recruited successfully at a lesser program. No offense, buts that kind of a stupid response?

Really...so you know which coach we are getting?

Your response is far more stupid and very assumptive simply because you absolutely have no idea which coach we would hire and twice as stupid because you have no idea regardless of their history how they will perform when they arrive here.

Remember when Marrone was voted one of the best recruiters in the SEC by his peers when he was at TN, how did he recruit once he got here. Yep, not very well. Past successes elsewhere do not equate to anything when they get here.

Great post.

What exactly did he inherit? Was it the outstanding staff that was left behind for him...was it the 3 year starting QB, or the roster chock full of 4 and 5 star recruits? He inherited a program that was pretty mediocre at best with a full staff that left and a roster of mostly 2 and 3 star recruits.
And changing leagues to a much more difficult one.

IthacaBarrel said:
See your point but 6-16 takes the fun out of being a fan, losing takes the fun out of being a fan. I don't think the back and forth is all that bad at all. Far far worse in the late P era really. People were far more passionate then, now it's pretty laid back

Bad football takes the fun out of being a fan. I can't wait to plan another day around watching us get outgained by 150 yards.

People that say not bright things (or challenge people to fights in the Skytop parking lot) take the fun out of the board.

I agree that no one is a better fan because they support the coach, or because they want change. We're all obviously enormous fans. But there are definitely sides, as we've seen on this board. The board has been completely overrun by the two sides just going back and forth at each other, and it's gotten freaking unbearable. It's taking the fun out of actually being a "fan." How many times can people just yell back and forth at each other, and in how many threads? And I'm not saying any one side is more right than the other, either. Both sides, I think, have some valid reasons to think the way they do. But my god...the smugness and lack of civility from some posters on both sides is just making this board godawful lately.

Unbearable (on this board) = Awesome!!

Really...so you know which coach we are getting?

Your response is far more stupid and very assumptive simply because you absolutely have no idea which coach we would hire and twice as stupid because you have no idea regardless of their history how they will perform when they arrive here.

Remember when Marrone was voted one of the best recruiters in the SEC by his peers when he was at TN, how did he recruit once he got here. Yep, not very well. Past successes elsewhere do not equate to anything when they get here.
Was actually not Doug Marrone. Was really Roman Moronie.

johnnydangerously70.jpg

He recruited fairly well given the circumstances. But nice try with the narrative.

He recruited fairly well given the circumstances. But nice try with the narrative.

Narrative..OK.

Pretty well documented that Marrone did not recruit well here "given the circumstances", the circumstances are the whole point, guess you missed it.

"The circumstances" at SU are why he didn't recruit well here, great recruiter there, not so good here. Did he forget how to recruit overnight or did something change?

Narrative..OK.

Pretty well documented that Marrone did not recruit well here "given the circumstances", the circumstances are the whole point, guess you missed it.

"The circumstances" at SU are why he didn't recruit well here, great recruiter there, not so good here. Did he forget how to recruit overnight or did something change?
Be fair. When did Marrone recruit with this. SS is not this great recruiter. He might be slightly better than DM at recruiting but overall as HC worse.
upload_2015-11-20_21-10-34.jpeg

Narrative..OK.

"Well documented". It is? Seems at one point it became "documented" as a result of Shafer losing games and wanting to pin blame on something/someone. It fits some peoples narrative well.

I'll say it again for the 100th time. Ask any recruit that did or didn't come here what they thought of Marrone, and while you're at it, ask the parents too. 95% or more thought very highly of Marrone. So if it's well documented, the recruits never got the memo.

Be fair. When did Marrone recruit with this. SS is not this great recruiter. He might be slightly better than DM at recruiting but overall as HC worse.
View attachment 53841

Not comparing Shafer to Marrone, you missed the point too.

I am comparing Assistant Marrone the recruiter at Tennessee to Marrone the HC recruiter at Syracuse.

See the difference...the school is the difference, not the man or the recruiter.

"Well documented". It is? Seems at one point it became "documented" as a result of Shafer losing games and wanting to pin blame on something/someone. It fits some peoples narrative well.

I'll say it again for the 100th time. Ask any recruit that did or didn't come here what they thought of Marrone, and while you're at it, ask the parents too. 95% or more thought very highly of Marrone. So if it's well documented, the recruits never got the memo.

You totally missed the point.

I am comparing Assistant Marrone the recruiter at Tennessee to Marrone the HC recruiter at Syracuse.

See the difference...the school is the difference, not the man or the recruiter.

Based on that logic we will always be a 3 - 5 win team. Boise State, TCU, Baylor, etc should have never been able to build their programs.

You missed my point. When did Marrone the HC have the Ensley Center to recruit while at Syracuse?

Marrone was recruiting with Manley/Weight room as his football facilities. The University spent 14 million dollars on the Ensley IPF after Marrone was gone.

Based on that logic we will always be a 3 - 5 win team. Boise State, TCU, Baylor, etc should have never been able to build their programs.

Hmmm... so TCU and Baylor, both in recruiting hotbeds with great coaches that get paid millions more that SU is willing to spend on a HC are comparable programs to SU, they also have ridiculous booster support, both in TX for GOd's sakes.

You couldn't have picked 2 worse schools to compare to SU, they have every advantage that SU doesn't.

Boise is the outlier and there will always be 1 or 2, outliers never prove a point.

Hmmm... so TCU and Baylor, both in recruiting hotbeds with great coaches that get paid millions more that SU is willing to spend on a HC are comparable programs to SU, they also have ridiculous booster support, both in TX for GOd's sakes.

You couldn't have picked 2 worse schools to compare to SU, they have every advantage that SU doesn't.

Boise is the outlier and there will always be 1 or 2, outliers never prove a point.

Guess you missed my point this time. Night.

You missed my point. When did Marrone the HC have the Ensley Center to recruit while at Syracuse?

Marrone was recruiting with Manley/Weight room as his football facilities. The University spent 14 million dollars on the Ensley IPF after Marrone was gone.

Point is, even with the Ensley center, he would/could never recruit as well as he did at TN and it may have marginally helped here if he stuck around. But because SU promised it and didn't build it he is gone, so we will never know will we.

How much better has HCSS's recruiting been with the Ensley Ctr? Marginally better.

Maybe they should promise more coaches better stuff so they can leave disgruntled.

This program has a history of bad decisions and a calamity of errors.

I just wish that when these decisions are being made that someone without and agenda and a brain in their head could stand up and say "What are you guys thinking".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom