The Coyle decision | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Coyle decision

We are 13-21 under SS. I don't think he could get his career record to .500 if he remained SU HC for the next 4 years. Why are keeping a mediocre HC who needs an extension to just not be a lame duck. It is a waste of money to give this man ANYMORE money.
I wish SS the best in his future endeavors and hire a completely new staff in December. Keeping this staff another year just kills hope. We need hope and change not more of the same.

Dave Doeren was hired at the same time as we hired Shafer. He is 17-17 overall and 5-16 in the ACC. They are very very young and clearly on the rise. They are competitive in every game.

He was a MAC head coach. If Shafer had his record then arguments for more time would be credible.

Coyle is a cerebral and thoughtful individual from what I can tell. I think leaving Dungey in and the subsequent reasoning behind it was enough to make Coyle's head explode. Time to make a change. Coyle didn't hire Shafer and he sure as hell isn't going to stake his tenure here on Shafer. We have looked like a legit P5 team against legit P5 teams only twice under HCSS that I can think of: LSU this year and Minnesota in 2013. Unacceptable

Guys enough with the bring him back but needs to make staff changes. Nobody good is coming here no matter how much you offer just to be fired after the year. You think the coaches we have now are good. Wait to see what would come here for a lame duck coach

So take my comment, edit it safely by saying 10,000 empty seats.

Same point. (and thanks Clemson fans for buying).
didnt see a ton of clemson fans but a bunch of seats went to the 17 local bands who performed at haftime with su band

Crowd was really good and attendance seemed to actually be around 36K, was really loud in there in the 3rd qtr.

I believe Coyle has already made up his mind. This game and the next two will have no barring on the big picture for Coyle. If Shafer is stating it going that decision has already been made.

Orangejet said:
If Coyle keeps Shafer, expect attendance in the Dome to be around 20k.

Sorry, won't happen.

Crusty said:
Coaches who want the job are starting to lobby with SU contacts they know. It's out there.

Where is this coming from?

Where is this coming from?

MAC, Pac12, SEC. Probably others but I only heard those. Thought I might hear Mountain West but have not. Normally would be skeptical but heard from more than one source. Bear in mind that these agents are interested in many schools not just us.

To me it only indicates that we are keeping options open at this point and measuring the depth of the water and certainly does not mean Coyle has made a decision.

Could always be the Johnny Dangerously grapevine, but I don't think so.

Vermin's going to kill my brother at the Savoy theater tonight.

So, just to clarify here: this is coaches lobbying for the SU job, and not necessarily Coyle reaching out to anyone, right? That's the way it sounds from the last couple posts.

I dont have a clue but i stand by original post in this thread. If Coyle can land his guy he makes the change if not he will stay the course with a low buy out extension

This is not the easy decision that some on here suggest. HCSS has not been an unmitigated failure, ala GROB. This year’s team has some talent and they certainly play hard both of which reflect well on the coaching staff.

So in order to fire HCSS --- given the several year disruption that coaching changes always seem to entail --- you have to be pretty sure that you are going to be able to both identify and hire someone who will be a significant upgrade.

I have little patience for those on here who just assume this is going to be easy. I see it as a very high risk proposition for SU.

If HCSS is replaced, my solution would be for the school to show some real imagination and real courage

Getting SU into the upper echelon of the ACC is going to be a very difficult job. We just will be unable to do it without a really superior head coach and coaching staff.

SU isn't going to get any of the top obvious, low-risk, “hot” candidates. There are too many current openings and other schools with more resources and fewer innate challenges facing a new coach

Think of O'Leary at CFL or Bobby Knight at TTU. Or Larry Brown at SMU. These guys were highly-likely to be successful at some level. And in even in these schools, the dissenting voices --- and I'm sure there must have been many --- have to be told to . Why not “The Vest”, who also was an Asst Coach at SU previously.

Under Cantor there would be no chance that any one with any controversy would be selected. But if the new crew is really serious about this ….

The more people involved in the decision, the less likely there will be any controversy what-so-ever. And the more likely this safe, consensus choice will not be as imaginative as it has to be to be successful. GRob is the perfect example ... impeccable resume, great recommendations and "looked the part".

This is not the easy decision that some on here suggest. HCSS has not been an unmitigated failure, ala GROB. This year’s team has some talent and they certainly play hard both of which reflect well on the coaching staff.

So in order to fire HCSS --- given the several year disruption that coaching changes always seem to entail --- you have to be pretty sure that you are going to be able to both identify and hire someone who will be a significant upgrade.

I have little patience for those on here who just assume this is going to be easy. I see it as a very high risk proposition for SU.

If HCSS is replaced, my solution would be for the school to show some real imagination and real courage

Getting SU into the upper echelon of the ACC is going to be a very difficult job. We just will be unable to do it without a really superior head coach and coaching staff.

SU isn't going to get any of the top obvious, low-risk, “hot” candidates. There are too many current openings and other schools with more resources and fewer innate challenges facing a new coach

Think of O'Leary at CFL or Bobby Knight at TTU. Or Larry Brown at SMU. These guys were highly-likely to be successful at some level. And in even in these schools, the dissenting voices --- and I'm sure there must have been many --- have to be told to . Why not “The Vest”, who also was an Asst Coach at SU previously.

Under Cantor there would be no chance that any one with any controversy would be selected. But if the new crew is really serious about this ….

The more people involved in the decision, the less likely there will be any controversy what-so-ever. And the more likely this safe, consensus choice will not be as imaginative as it has to be to be successful. GRob is the perfect example ... impeccable resume, great recommendations and "looked the part".
Nice recap. I have often thought, "what about the vest?" His show cause situation is concluded and he obviously has a strong name. However, he currently is the president of YSU, and lives a fairly relaxed lifestyle with a good salary in the cheapest of all places, Youngstown, OH. Does he have a burning desire to get back into coaching, I doubt it. He is also gotta be late 50's, early 60's, by now. I'm just too disinterested to look it up.

Dave Doeren was hired at the same time as we hired Shafer. He is 17-17 overall and 5-16 in the ACC. They are very very young and clearly on the rise. They are competitive in every game.

thats' the perception created by their weak schedule.

competitive in some games but still losing to anyone that matters.

Nice recap. I have often thought, "what about the vest?" His show cause situation is concluded and he obviously has a strong name. However, he currently is the president of YSU, and lives a fairly relaxed lifestyle with a good salary in the cheapest of all places, Youngstown, OH. Does he have a burning desire to get back into coaching, I doubt it. He is also gotta be late 50's, early 60's, by now. I'm just too disinterested to look it up.
He's 62. Plus, as you said, he's a college president now, in his home state. He's back home, nearing retirement age...I'd be shocked if he'd be even remotely interested in leaving that life behind to try to tackle SU.

If you want to go with an old guy who’s been around then I think Tuberville should be near the top of the list.

including us this weekend!

ha :)

it'll be a tall order for us to go down there and win on the road but we're more than capable. really no different than the uva game. but at this point, this is a game Shafer absolutely needs to win.

This program does not need some 0ld geezer retread.

And GRob had FAR, FAR, FAR from an impeccable resume.

Crusty said:
MAC, Pac12, SEC. Probably others but I only heard those. Thought I might hear Mountain West but have not. Normally would be skeptical but heard from more than one source. Bear in mind that these agents are interested in many schools not just us. To me it only indicates that we are keeping options open at this point and measuring the depth of the water and certainly does not mean Coyle has made a decision. Could always be the Johnny Dangerously grapevine, but I don't think so.

Not where are these coaches coming from but where is this talk coming from? Articles? Tailgate rumors? Internet postings?

kcsu said:
I dont have a clue but i stand by original post in this thread. If Coyle can land his guy he makes the change if not he will stay the course with a low buy out extension

That's where I'm at.

The Vest may be a bad example. I'd rather be the President on a University than the HFC any day. Even though it may no pay as well.

My criteria for any replacement would be success as a HC at about the same level in a similar situation. Even if there were subsequent failure.

Managers in business or whatever learn from failures. Winning shows them what to do. Losing or other failures show them what not to do.

If I'm SU, I'd look at Fridgen. He's a very good coach who got a tremendously raw deal at Maryland. And he doesn't come in an have to learn how to be a head coach.

But he's in some respect "damaged goods" and there will be all sorts of sniping at selecting a guy like that.

But there's a lot of risk associated with SU pursuing the obvious "hot" candidats.

How many times have we seen universities embarrassed repeatedly as the coaching prospects they pursue turn them down? I can easily see a fiasco like that happening to SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom