the crane the crane | Page 133 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

yeah the 3 arrow head ones are fatter. next one up on the east will be the fatter one for the next girder

what are the white things on the trailers in the parking lot in the bottom right of the screen?

First time poster, but I have a pretty good aerial picture of the Dome and I thought it would be a shame not to share here
Aerial Dome Pic.jpg

Crane rookie here. just started following this closely, can somebody tell me what a spiral is and what a girder is? wanna follow along but also would like to know what i’m looking at lol

Thank you. I was digging through the thread last night for that article.

@ 12:27P.M. Thursday - Things of interest in work progress just before LUNCHTIME In between the two fences where a spiral is resting crew is getting that bendy steel thing that was used for the spiral two days ago. The next Girder has arrived and is on a trailer just down from the corner of Irving.

There was welding of some sort half way up Forestry, the bright glow of the weld and sparks clearly obvious. One of the telescopic boom cranes has lifted one or two crew to the backstay directly across from the LC. Inside the Dome there remains the last vestige of fabric to go to Steiner. It looks like a complete mess. When they address that stuff things will look much better.

It looks as though the steel bendy thing will be used the way it was the other day up against the spiral to support the crown truss. Right now one end is resting near the point of the backstay where the crew in the TBC is helping to position it.

The yellow, four wheeled, "Star Wars Cantina" vehicle just brought something down Forestry and took it into a parking area out of the cameras range. SO not everyone if having lunch as I stated earlier.

And, the tractor has uncoupled from the trailer carrying the latest girder and has backed up near the front end of it on Irving - only the tractor is red, red we don't like red - it should be ORANGE! :)

Last edited:
And - Walt's hoist block is hanging in full view of the LC a bit to the left of center at the top of your screen.

The very long steel bendy thing is vertical still one end at the point of the back stay and the other up against the girder. The area was vacant so I would imagine some of the crew(s) are having a well deserved lunch. Really good work this morning IMO.

It looks like the spirals on the corner or angles of the Dome are bigger in diameter.
That spiral has girth.

So, if a larger spiral has more girth, does a larger girder have more spread? :):)

I'll be here all day, next show is at 3:00. I'm not allowed to go anywhere else.

The telescopic boom crane with crew support is still in position close to the end of the backstay above the Dome walkway and one of the crew was just using his arms working like hell on something.

Walt, the steel bendy thing and the wire cable are all in use supporting the latest addition to the crown truss. Everything everywhere else in view of the LC is quiet.

Sometime this afternoon in the planned stages of everything that girder is going to be offloaded from the trailer either by Walt who is occupied at the time OR the new yellow crane whose boom can extend a looooong way. Where they are going to put it is a question. Maybe in the back of the yard with other girder? The drivers of the tractors have to have patience - sometimes they are offloaded quickly and can return to Montreal and sometimes they wait and wait and wait. But they are getting paid for their soooo.

Up Forestry there is another TBC with a crew working at the end of the latest backstay.

OK the crew is finished with the steel bendy thing and Walt is bringing it I would guess back to the yard. Things should start moving to other projects then I hope. Nope! Outside the inner fence.

Last edited:
Lifting straps have just been attached to Walt's block and hook and it looks like the newest girder will be offloaded soon.

There isn't much room for the new girder between the one that is in the back of the yard and the remaining area if in fact that is where Walt's op is going to put it. If it is he'll get it in there - amazing to me the smallest area these craneops can fit things into. Nocrew at the moment to get up on the girder to hook in the strap hooks.