the crane the crane | Page 286 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Sure looks like it !
I think Big Red's work is done. The west side of the hard shell is essentially complete now.

My guess is that the work on the PTFE part of the roof will be staged from the hard shell or from the inside. It is probably too far for a crane from the outside to help much.

Keep seeing the crane in the SE corner putting stuff up on the roof. The steel has been up for a long time. It is the tarp/corrugated steel they are bringing up.

082420b.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like there's one more piece of roof steel to go up! Think all the structural work will be done after that.
Wouldn't be surprised to see all the exterior cranes gone by the end of the week once they put all the roofing materials up there.

Looks like there's one more piece of roof steel to go up! Think all the structural work will be done after that.
Wouldn't be surprised to see all the exterior cranes gone by the end of the week once they put all the roofing materials up there.
They still have a few more horizontal braces to put down on the steel they just completed.

the one piece of gray looks so outta place compared to the rest of white, makes me think maybe they started on that on by mistake and weren't supposed to do that one until the triangle was completed?

Great point hopefully SU can swing it without delay

BTW, I just locked on a 2.375% 30 yr note

Beats my first mortgage ever at 10.625% by just a tad

Currently applying for a mortgage right now and realllly hoping for a sub-3% rate.

Looking at the newly refocused Red-tail hawk cam... I can see there is a LOT of netting up now, so they must be pretty close to being ready to install the PFTE. Once they finish with the horizontal reinforcement of the steel beams, I think they do end the week being done with the hard section of the roof.

Late morning update:

Not a lot to report. Yes, the steel for the hard shell part of the roof is complete. They are putting up those packages of corrugated shell and grey tarp now. Should be done with that pretty soon and then start on getting those components (let's call them layer one) over the steel. Would not be surprised if the entire hard shell had at least the layer one covering in place by the end of the week. That would give them a full week to get the insulation layers and the white exterior covering up during next week, which I believe is week 6.

The next exterior crane to be decommissioned will probably be the one in the northwest corner. Most of the white cover in that corner of the dome appears to be in place. After that, I don't think it will be needed any longer.

It looks like the 3rd crane to complete it's tasks will be the one in the northeast corner, which appears to have layer one just about done. Guessing we will start seeing some insulation start getting loaded up there shortly. Right now, it looks like the final stages of finishing layer one (where they put up the shards to fill gaps in the seams) is being done. They have to be close to insulating and sealing that side soon.

It looks like the crane in the southeast corner still has some layer one to put up and then it will be done. Crane 5b will probably be the last to go.

I can see the white outer layer in the northwestern corner moving a bit in the strong breeze today. Looks like they haven't done the heat seals to lock it in place yet. There is no rain in the forecast until Thursday so they have some time to do this.

Looking at the 10 day forecast, they are probably going to struggle to get much done this weekend. Lots of rain in the forecast. But next week looks a lot better.

Update:

There are workers on the arcs. They are standing on them, walking on top of them and straddling them, like a horse. I am sure they are tethered, but wow, props to them for doing this on a windy day. Up there, it has to be really gusty.

082520a.jpg

Last edited:
I can see the white outer layer in the northwestern corner moving a bit in the strong breeze today.
I also saw the white, outer layer, blowing in the wind, for almost all of the lower segments of the SW corner. There appears to be extra material over all of these edges. Do you think they'll get trimmed, or have something cover those ends? For such a great looking final product, the unfinished edges don't look very nice.

It appears the are laying down the base of the hard shell in the former gap before all the cross bracing is done. I would have thought they would have waited until tomorrow for that, but apparently they want to get a jump on it.

I also saw the white, outer layer, blowing in the wind, for almost all of the lower segments of the SW corner. There appears to be extra material over all of these edges. Do you think they'll get trimmed, or have something cover those ends? For such a great looking final product, the unfinished edges don't look very nice.
I believe they heat seal the edges to the adjacent panel. It is not seamless but unless you are standing over the panels, it might as well be. Looks like the bonds from heat sealing are really strong. I have seen videos where they subjected them to stress and the fabric ripped before the seam.

It appears the are laying down the base of the hard shell in the former gap before all the cross bracing is done. I would have thought they would have waited until tomorrow for that, but apparently they want to get a jump on it.
I find it very interesting that that one hard shell section in hard shell part of the roof closest to the PTFE section in the SW corner remains open.

It looks like the corrugated steel/gray tarp needed to cover it are right there, ready to go.

The obsessive/compulsive streak in me desperately wants that section completed. At least through layer one.

Also, the red tailed hawks stream cam is now actually looking at the red tailed hawk nest. I haven't seen any hawks but it is properly focused and framed and there might be some good bird watching action coming.

The male is named Otto and the female is named Sue.

If you happen to be on campus and want to see the nest in person, look up high on the western side of Lyman Hall. It is so high in the air, you can only see a few sticks overhanging the edge, but that is where the nest is.

Pretty smart place to build a nest. Very hard for some idiot to try and mess things up in such an out of the way place.

082520b.jpg

I am so with you. Leaving that section open has bothered me since they started to build north and left it incomplete.