the crane the crane | Page 329 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

My initial impressions of the exterior are that they did a great job of respecting the past while Preserving the future. I thought the rollercoaster look was going to be horrible, but the new design is quite pleasing. It flows, pays tribute to the original design and the Dome 2.0 will remain an icon of the CNY landscape.

I really want to see the scoreboard from my second row, second level seats on the 25 yard line.

In the heart of (most) every SU fan, there should be an appreciation for what we have...a wonderful and entertaining sports tradition that is now enhanced by a very special, unique, on-campus sports venue that was modernized within budget, ontime, under very tough constraints...with spectacular scoreboards and lighting. Amazing! With all the bad stuff going on, let's celebrate this milestone.

In the heart of (most) every SU fan, there should be an appreciation for what we have...a wonderful and entertaining sports tradition that is now enhanced by a very special, unique, on-campus sports venue that was modernized within budget, ontime, under very tough constraints...with spectacular scoreboards and lighting. Amazing! With all the bad stuff going on, let's celebrate this milestone.

Well said

Agree, celebrate what you have instead of regretting what you don't. Otherwise it's a road to misery and resentment.

So am I, and an alum as well. People taking shots at how the school designed and spent money on this upgrade have no standing and are out of line.
In this day and age, every clown has an opinion. It seems by this post that you are expressing yours but want to begrudge someone else expressing theirs ?

Isn't that interesting...

Aside from opinion, I was thinking something crazy when I drove by the Dome on Tuesday.

What if they left the hole in the roof because they wanted the option to do a retractable roof at some point in the future...??

They could use the top crown truss to hang a movable roof and mechanical to move it.

Aside from opinion, I was thinking something crazy when I drove by the Dome on Tuesday.

What if they left the hole in the roof because they wanted the option to do a retractable roof at some point in the future...??

They could use the top crown truss to hang a movable roof and mechanical to move it.

Not possible. The truss won't support it.

And there's no drainage in the floor. You'd have a lake on the field if it rained.

Pardon my ignorance on this topic but they couldn't put orange seats in? Seems like a huge missed opportunity. Would make it look 100x better but if its a lack of funds I understand
I heard they were discussing installing individual seats during this phase but decided against it.

Obviously no one could have predicted we would not have fans this season but Phase 1 would have been the perfect time to install the new seats since the benches were already removed and the box office staff would have had plenty of time to relocate season ticket holders.

Not possible. The truss won't support it.

And there's no drainage in the floor. You'd have a lake on the field if it rained.
It currently supports the fabric and the arches the fabric are stretched over. Who is to say that same fabric can't be stretched over a rigid structure and moved with only a nominal increase in weight.

The beauty of a movable roof is that you can close it before it rains.

So am I, and an alum as well. People taking shots at how the school designed and spent money on this upgrade have no standing and are out of line.
Or at least premature. People might want to wait until the P is done before declaring it a disappointment.

Last edited:
Really excited to see the lighting on Saturday, hopefully theres a way to make it less flat than the dome always was.

That alone will be a huge improvement.

Pardon my ignorance on this topic but they couldn't put orange seats in? Seems like a huge missed opportunity. Would make it look 100x better but if its a lack of funds I understand
Orange seats would look horrible, IMO, empties would stand out like a sore thumb. Should go with a navy or black seating.

solid colors look great when empty but orange would show the empties.. I wonder if studies would show some mixed color seating would have a better effect but you dont ever see that done.

I would think though you could do something where the seats were one color when used and the bottoms different color to make it look sat in if they really wanted to make it hard to tell

Several have asked about new seats, and from the beginning we were told the idea of Phase 1 was to focus on the roof, and for other improvements, including seats, to potentially come later in Phase 2.

One thing I have never heard about however is if individual seats are actually possible, especially in the top level. I have noticed that the steps in the upper level are fairly steep, and there isn't much space between each row. Is it even possible to put individual seats in there?

My hunch is that the lower level where the rise isn't as fast and where there is a tad more space due to the benches having backs probably is feasible, but maybe not the top. But again my hunch is that doing so would decrease overall capacity, which would be an issue for season ticket holders, especially basketball. I think it obviously would be worth doing, but they'd likely get complaints from many that would have to move.

By the way, I work at the University of Washington and UW renovated Husky Stadium a few years ago spending over $200 million (or twice what SU has spent so far). The vast majority of seats are still aluminum bleachers with no backs. I've also been to almost 50 Division 1 college football stadiums over the years including big name schools like Florida State, UNC, USC etc. and this is the typical seating you see everywhere. For people that think Syracuse is terrible for not having better seats, they don't know that outside of NFL stadiums, this is pretty much standard.

Last edited:

The roof project was by far the most important item. I think in hindsight it was appropriate to push seating off till later. They had such a tight window to make it happen and you have to focus in on the highest priority items. The partial AC was a pleasant surprise and will be appreciated for those that feel it.

seattlefan is correct on seating. It'll be very hard to do individual seats in the upper level. Also, he correctly noted that bench seating is fairly common in college stadiums.

Last edited:
1600946203971.png