the crane the crane | Page 206 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Inside video cam now !!!!
Activist meeting Monday 9 pm
73BE09CA-8283-415F-95CF-02CCCAAFE024.jpeg

I believe a couple of the electric blue platforms are being installed now. This is around the 50 yard line, up on the girders there along the south wall.

I think there are a couple more that have already been installed above the southeast diagonal wall. You can see them if you look closely. It is easier when the sun is out.

Meanwhile, poor Walt has become a crane dwarf. Hopefully he will be put together soon in a better place.

Walt, your timing is awful. You came just as the weather was going bad, and are leaving just when it is starting to get good. Safe travels my friend.

Last edited:
I believe a couple of the electric blue platforms are being installed now. This is around the 50 yard line, up on the girders there along the south wall.

I think there are a couple more that have already been installed above the southeast diagonal wall. You can see them if you look closely. It is easier when the sun is out.

Are you looking via the Lawrinson cam?

Are you looking via the Lawrinson cam?
Yes. Double click on a big monitor to get the full screen and you should be able to see some of this. The blue platforms were just brought up to the middle of the south wall about 10-15 minutes ago.

Anyone know what the long grey rectangular boxes (they look like boxes) are that are under the stairs for Gate B, near Stadium Control?

Not sure, because I can only see them from the camera feed, but I think they're rows AA-HH for the hoops setup in the Dome. Usually they store this stuff around the TV deck (they don't have any proper storage area), but they're crunched for space. Best as I can tell, the long staircases for the midcoast scoreboard/camera platform are on Hendricks Field and the scoreboard mount itself is (or was) down in an SU parking lot off Ainsley Drive.

Yes. Double click on a big monitor to get the full screen and you should be able to see some of this. The blue platforms were just brought up to the middle of the south wall about 10-15 minutes ago.

Okay... I see what you mean, but can't pick up the color. Thx!

I'm certain I'm not in the minority here, but I long for BillSU's daily updates. It's a legit play-by-play of the Dome reno. During these times, it's helping to slightly fill my sports void. Many thanks.
Thank you Rocco. I hope I can provide everyone who is interested in this project with daily reports of things that are happening.

I also hope that we get cameras inside the Dome very soon so I can do the play by play about what is going on inside. If we don't, my description of what's happening will be severely limited.
There are people here working on this and on the school's administration side. Let's hope we are able to see inside which P.Sala has described as the most difficult part of the renovation.

I'm thinking it's time for a crew of volunteers to help memorialize Walt's time with us. We'd need at least four guys with high-lift jacks, some bungy cords, a mobile home axle, and an old truck the owner doesn't mind getting banged up a little. Maybe a 3/4 ton, V8, and with a good clutch. Better be a 4WD. We just need one of the sections of Walt they're getting ready for transport. Walt's too big anyhow. Skylar has done a fine job. Then we'd just need a few gallons of orange paint and a camp on Pillar Point to keep it until needed for tailgates...

Summary of todays activity as I know it:

Three TBL's have taken crew up to the ladders so they may climb onto the girders if they need to or work on something below. The one directly across from the LC looks to have a platform/scaffold so they are able to stand to work on that.

The slow dismantling of Walt continues by the crew and the Yellow crane's op. We can't see much farther than a third of the end of the lattice boom.

A smaller white crane but one that must be a decent size IMO due to the height of the boom is in the middle of the dome and not moving at the moment its hoist wire rope limp down to the block and hook.

Three blue platforms that will be ascending to help the crews with the roof still remain on the sidewalk.

Getting towards the end of the day of a great week, one that saw the final girder slide into its place to complete the Crown Truss.

Congratulations to everyone on the construction crew for their tireless work in getting this phase accomplished. Because of you we now move on expeditious construction, assembly, and raising of a brand new Dome roof which when done will be a beacon of the home of the great sports traditions of Syracuse University.

Last edited:
Of course this view of the new Dome which Legacy provides daily is made even more exquisite with a vermillion sky in the background but what makes this a perfect subject is the University's Quad, Hendricks Chapel, Crouse in the far right background, the buildings that surround the Quad and now the Dome with its Crown Truss and when finished the accent lighting that will illuminate the spirals and girders.

It will be seen from afar by many in years to come and be recognized as a unique achievement on our campus. Especially when the lighting is completed. I don't think anyone is going to want to turn this new thing off at night. And, I believe it will be done well by a trusted company who has great experience in corporate signage and the lighting of important buildings. You do not want a beautiful birthday cake created and then presented without the candles.

When I looked at the first rendering done in grey and black and white I thought it could have been done better and longed for the first unauthorized rendering. As an industrial designer I have come to like the creative aspect of the work. Roller Coaster was there for me for awhile but after several months as the project developed I critiqued it for its own personality and what it encloses.

Looking at it in this view, the Crown Truss, (girders themselves alone), has movement reflecting what goes on inside the building. Rising from a non-symmetrical octagon, for me, its design a sinuous, curving, compressed circle that has to follow a certain pattern to address and support the roof. Supported by climbing then descending at the sides then ascending again so high the spiral columns lend further interest to the building especially when the roof is completed and lighted internally and externally.

I'll bet this building will be a showplace when complete - (it already was for me but they are making it better). I can see a light at the base of each spiral directed upward. There is now the wall building lights below each spiral base just below the walkway at the top of the wall all the way around the structure but their light is directed outward. Look at it and you see what may happen when the company that lights the candles perhaps with an orange hue is finished with lighting. The WOW factor that was mentioned about the scoreboard may have competition in this buildings architecture even though it's only a roof. But what a roof!
:)

Last edited:
Of course this view of the new Dome which Legacy provides daily is made even more exquisite with a vermillion sky in the background but what makes this a perfect subject is the Syracuse University's Quad, Hendricks Chapel, Crouse in the far right background, the buildings that surround the Quad and now the Dome with its Crown Truss and when finished the accent lighting that will illuminate the spirals and girders.

It will be seen from afar by many in years to come and be recognized as a unique achievement on our campus. Especially when the lighting is completed. I don't think anyone is going to want to turn this new thing off at night. And, I believe it will be done well by a trusted company who has great experience in corporate signage and the lighting of important buildings. You do not want a beautiful birthday cake created and then presented without the candles.

When I looked at the first rendering done in grey and black and white I thought it could have been done better and longed for the first unauthorized rendering. As an industrial designer I have come to like the creative aspect of the work. Roller Coaster was there for me for awhile but after several months as the project developed I critiqued it for its own personality and what it encloses.

Looking at it in this view, the Crown Truss, (girders themselves alone), has movement reflecting what goes on inside the building. Rising from a non-symmetrical octagon, for me, its design a sinuous, curving, compressed circle that has to follow a certain pattern to address and support the roof. Supported by climbing then descending at the sides then ascending again so high the spiral columns lend further interest to the building especially when the roof is completed and lighted internally and externally.

I'll bet this building will be a showplace when complete - (it already was for me but they are making it better). I can see a light at the base of each spiral directed upward. There is now the wall building lights below each spiral base just below the walkway at the top of the wall all the way around the structure but their light is directed outward. Look at it and you see what may happen when the company that lights the candles perhaps with an orange hue is finished with lighting. The WOW factor that was mentioned about the scoreboard may have competition in this buildings architecture even though it's only a roof. But what a roof!
Bill - exterior lighting was never in the works in this phase... and it seems with severe budget cuts coming I don’t see how SU will pony up what’s necessary to illuminate at night to the proper effect.

Bill - exterior lighting was never in the works in this phase... and it seems with severe budget cuts coming I don’t see how SU will pony up what’s necessary to illuminate at night to the proper effect.
It's nice to dream if in fact that is the case. :)

Hey NJCuse97, any insights or informed speculation on how they are going to put the new roof up? I was thinking those four diagonal cables are going to be the first thing they put up and serve as the foundation for the roof.

Am I close?

My very speculative thought is that there will have to be some sort of truss grid in a large diamond shape (essentially from the middle of the endzone to the 50. You get the idea, what your are thinking with the four cables). That would support the inner edge of the rigid roof and the PTFE portion would have an edge to tie to.
I assume it to be a very open web truss for field views..

I still feel, though in a weak moment last night I said, "it's nice to dream about lighting if in fact SU doesn't have enough $ for a really excellent job", that somehow this aspect of the project will still get accomplished. It is for me like the cherry on top of a hot fudge sundae. Perhaps the BB junk man and some of that $25M donated for just sports may be asked for or diverted to this very important aspect of making this Dome come alive. The cost of it is not that great - hell you're lighting a building's superstructure to give it a look like no other sports stadium will ever have. Somehow I say it will be done . :)

The DAILY SUMMARY:
The crew arrived.
Three TBL's were raised to work on the girders on the opposite side of what we are able to see and also the one inside the Dome
There remains only one blue platform on the sidewalk by the driveway.
Walt is still in a state of disassembly.
The crew went home.
AND I want a camera inside the Dome to describe to everyone what's going on!

That bee is still in your bonnet?

I think I am going to be more into the interior renovations and the bells and whistle stuff. For now, are they just putting back in the old bleachers they took out?

Of course this view of the new Dome which Legacy provides daily is made even more exquisite with a vermillion sky in the background but what makes this a perfect subject is the University's Quad, Hendricks Chapel, Crouse in the far right background, the buildings that surround the Quad and now the Dome with its Crown Truss and when finished the accent lighting that will illuminate the spirals and girders.

For what it is worth, I think they will eventually light the crown truss. One thing SU does well is get good exterior lighting in place for their showcase buildings and when this building is done, it will be a showcase for the university. I think the focus right now is just getting the roof done. That in and of itself would be a major achievement given the timeline and complexity of the task.

I am confident proper lighting for the crown truss will eventually happen. Maybe it is already in the process of being added. It would be crazy to spend all this money and not show it off in the best light possible. And that light is LED on the crown truss!

That bee is still in your bonnet?
I’d rather not get my hopes up is all. For a second I thought Bill had inside information and I got excited... only to find out he was just fantasizing. I appreciate optimism but SU just has a history of penny pinching that’s too hard to ignore. And now with the financial crisis they actually have a legit excuse to justify it.

Meanwhile, poor Walt has become a crane dwarf. Hopefully he will be put together soon in a better place.

Walt, your timing is awful. You came just as the weather was going bad, and are leaving just when it is starting to get good. Safe travels my friend.
Kinda like the school year.

I’d rather not get my hopes up is all. For a second I thought Bill had inside information and I got excited... only to find out he was just fantasizing. I appreciate optimism but SU just has a history of penny pinching that’s too hard to ignore. And now with the financial crisis they actually have a legit excuse to justify it.

One man’s penny pinching is another man’s responsible spending. This has always been a project planned in phases. Phase one 2020-2022 driven largely by necessity and enhancement of the GameDay fan experience. Funding in place for Phase 1. Phase 2 is a wishlist menu of additional enhancements- seating, concourses, suites and certainly lighting. No timetable for Phase 2 does not mean it will be well after a Phase 1. It’s dependent on funding and logistics/dependencies with Phase 1 work. Keep in mind this administration has been burned by premature announcements in past years. I think they are very sensitive to that in their public communications.