It's a long time from the departure of the Craniacs
best buddy Walt, I hear he's doing just fine

Lifting very heavy steel at another project with his might
making sure everyone is doing their job just right

The Syracuse Stadium – is that really going to be the name
or are we playing “it's all about the money marketing games?”

Eventually we'll find out what the boys and girls in the board
rooms decide and when all is finished the football and basketball
teams will again take us on a very positive ride!!!!

Maybe we need a crane
I think the exterior of the Dome should be covered with faux brick vinyl siding. The concourses should have cheap wood paneling and popcorn ceilings. Put a giant dish on top and we can call it the world's biggest double wide.
the faux brick Vinyl siding today is $600-$700 per square. Not quite mobile home budget.

the faux brick Vinyl siding today is $600-$700 per square. Not quite mobile home budget.
That's not the stuff i'm talking about. Drive any rural road through central ny (actually any rural area) and you will likely see an old farm house with the faux brick that looks like linoleum.

It appears as if all the large cranes are in the air. Even Red West.
Yup. Red West is putting in one of those 45 degree beams in the middle of the west wall right now. Note that there are some pieces of steel near the base of RW that have been joined together like one of those things at the opening of the old Hawaii 50.

Looks like they are going to start in the middle of the 4 major walls and branch out from there. Will they do this for the whole perimeter or are these just steel outposts to get the process started?

Looks like a productive day ahead with all 4 cranes in action, a new piece of triangle already being set on the west wall, another piece in the air on the south wall...Good times!

1595335014585.png

its interesting the speed these triangles go together and with 4 cranes going it could be pretty fast.. I wonder how exact they are or if they need some adjusting later.

its interesting the speed these triangles go together and with 4 cranes going it could be pretty fast.. I wonder how exact they are or if they need some adjusting later.
It is fascinating watching the cranes maneuver those pieces under the crown truss. That's gotta require some skill. I agree, they do seem to be going in pretty quickly. This has potential to be a days long process instead of weeks.

Yup. Red West is putting in one of those 45 degree beams in the middle of the west wall right now. Note that there are some pieces of steel near the base of RW that have been joined together like one of those things at the opening of the old Hawaii 50.

Looks like they are going to start in the middle of the 4 major walls and branch out from there. Will they do this for the whole perimeter or are these just steel outposts to get the process started?
West Side already has a second piece almost in place; going gangbusters to catch up to North Side and South Side. Glad Red West is up and at em.

What is going on with the East Side? There might be a couple of beams up in the center, just above the old scoreboard, though it is hard to see through the cable net and crown truss.

Note that all these beams appear to be getting bolted to the floor of the concrete ring. I was thinking that the roof was going to start at the steel ring above the concrete and wondering how they were going to fill the gap. Looks like that will not be a problem.

It is fascinating watching the cranes maneuver those pieces under the crown truss. That's gotta require some skill. I agree, they do seem to be going in pretty quickly. This has potential to be a days long process instead of weeks.
The wind was 10-13 mph yesterday. Today it is 7 mph. That, along with the learning curve, makes for a much more productive day today.

If they are going to do the whole perimeter in these triangle supports, they are going to need a lot more beams. Given there aren't many in the one storage area we can see, and given there are some other, more tradition steel roof supports in the storage area, I am thinking we probably are not going to see the whole perimeter given the triangle treatment.

West Side already has a second piece almost in place; going gangbusters to catch up to North Side and South Side. Glad Red West is up and at em.

What is going on with the East Side? There might be a couple of beams up in the center, just above the old scoreboard, though it is hard to see through the cable net and crown truss.

Note that all these beams appear to be getting bolted to the floor of the concrete ring. I was thinking that the roof was going to start at the steel ring above the concrete and wondering how they were going to fill the gap. Looks like that will not be a problem.
All I know is I have mad respect for that guy sitting at the ends of the triangle pieces bolting them together. Not a job I want to have.

I find it hard to understand if they are really bolting these things into the concrete, maybe there is something we cant see across the top. maybe there is some cable holding those triangles in place they have to causing a great deal of stress at the angle they are attached

That's not the stuff i'm talking about. Drive any rural road through central ny (actually any rural area) and you will likely see an old farm house with the faux brick that looks like linoleum.
You're probably talking about Asphalt Siding. They don't manufacture that any more. Some of it was manufactured, like some roof asphalt roof shingles with asbestos fibers.

I find it hard to understand if they are really bolting these things into the concrete, maybe there is something we cant see across the top. maybe there is some cable holding those triangles in place they have to causing a great deal of stress at the angle they are attached
The Geiger drawings show a cable running from the middle of the south ring to the middle of the north ring, precisely where the south and north triangles are located. Another drawing of the new roof showed a cable running east west, precisely where the east and west triangles are being placed.

If you look closely, you can see there is a cable holding the triangles up going from the point of the triangle further from the ring to the crown truss. The cable is bearing the load.

I think we are saying the same thing...just clarifying where I am coming from.

If you look at the Geiger drawing, you will note that there is a triangle in the middle of each of the north, south, east and west walls. The dimensionals of these triangles match the dimensions of the triangles we are seeing built.

This makes me more sure than ever that the only triangles we will see are the 4 already in progress.

Maybe the steel will follow along the cables the rest of the way?

Last edited:
Having a hard time visualizing the roof. Are the cables at there final height? Marked a "dome" in the pic...
1595344055781.png