the crane the crane | Page 297 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Came in a bit late on this one - it's 4:44 and there is a new type of crawler crane colored in caterpillar yellow on Forestry in full view of the LC at the back of a truck carrying something I can't quite make out but there is a lot of activity. The truck pulled away and the boom op raised the boom on this unit totally vertical. They have it totally balanced with four outriggers placed on Forestry. At the moment its purpose is a mystery.

5:18 -That was quick. First, I was wrong. It was not a crawler but a four wheeled vehicle now backing down Forestry its job accomplished or not. It had a telescoping boom that was extended and the op had the boom at about a 30 degree angle to the pavement. It must have done its job as it had four straps in tension lifting something with its hoist block but was so hard to see in the shadows at this time of the day. The truck is back sitting parallel to the driveway area next to the Dome. Interesting.

6:18- The truck has now backed up to another crane and that crane has just lifted a steel plate used on roads for cars to drive over temporarily during road construction onto the forward flatbed of the truck - maybe that was what the other crane helped with? The crane just lifted a second and third steel plate onto the rear of the truck, the crew is securing it and will drive off when that is accomplished. The steel plates weigh in at several tons each. Now they are loading what looks like part of a boom on top of the plates. Perhaps these are the final remains of 5c - the steel plates being used to level it and protect the street. Lots of straps to secure the boom on top of the plates! The plates come in various sizes: 8' x12' 3,721lbs, 8' x 16' 5,248 lbs and the monster steel road plate 8' x 20' 6,534 lbs. Looked like for the size of the truck the 8' x 16' were used. Hope the driver isn't going over any flimsy bridges - that is one heavy load. And the truck lumbered off at 6:27.

And another flatbed has backed up to receive more at 6:37. Have fun!

Last edited:
Screenshot (139).png

Came in a bit late on this one - it's 4:44 and there is a new type of crawler crane colored in caterpillar yellow on Forestry in full view of the LC at the back of a truck carrying something I can't quite make out but there is a lot of activity. The truck pulled away and the boom op raised the boom on this unit totally vertical. They have it totally balanced with four outriggers placed on Forestry. At the moment its purpose is a mystery.
Check the 2 or 3 posts prior to this one.

Interior cranes working tonight - wish we had a camera on the inside to see whats going on !

I follow these posts and I have to wonder, how many boots does SyracuseFan have on the ground at this site?

looks like there trying to complete the hard roof in the southeast corner currently

Morning update:

As best I can tell, 2 or 3 panels have been covered with PTFE. There are 64 that need to be completed, and it took them a day or two to do 2 or 3, so it does not appear this will be completed this weekend. I have attached a blown up part of a screen capture.

3DB0E113-DFFB-4596-BE59-22C8A5C0AEAA.jpeg

Same beige color. Expect it to be bleached white by the sun. Right now, it looks as though the grid showing the borders of each panel will be visible on the PTFE section of the roof but will not on the hard shell section. It will be interesting to see if that changes.

Will they put an American flag on top of the middle of the roof again?

The last build that needs to be finished for the hard shell is the SE corner. There are 8 main rows plus a couple of triangles. It looks like they have the outside main rows completed on both sides right now. I think they are only working on the east side of the build so far today. I think their record is 4 rows in a day, set on the SW corner. If they can work at that pace today and tomorrow, it is possible the hard shell could be completed this weekend.

There are showers possible this afternoon. Only 50-60% chance and should only last an hour or two if they happen. That could shut things down for a while today and hold them back. Tomorrow looks great all day.

It will be interesting to see if they get faster working on the PTFE section. I am thinking maybe the workers focusing on finishing up layer 2 might also be assigned to the PTFE crew when they are done and that might help speed things up.

They really need to get the roof finished so they can start removing the plastic protecting the private boxes and ribbon boards and finish up installation of the scoreboards. It looks like work on the lights and sound system is progressing nicely. Once the scoreboards are done, I think they can focus on getting the field resurfaced, and the new field turf put in place and lined.

They have work to do getting retired jerseys, team banners, etc put in place. Lots of new possibilities here with the new roof.

I imagine they are still working hard on getting bathrooms set up fully for COVID (they pretty much were already), making sure the new bathrooms and concession areas are ready and doing general clean up. Leaving the building exposed for 6 months has allowed a lot of dirt and grime to collect everywhere. I think they drilled a ton of holes in the concrete to hold wood to protect the stands from the new cabling that was installed.

It looks like the benches have already been put back in place.

I know some nice surprises are in store for us fans when we return to the dome. Let’s hope it happens soon.

Great progress heading to the South East corner!

Also covering more panels with PTFE.

View attachment 187350
It’s really coming into place! I love it I’m really looking forward to seeing how it’s gonna look on the inside with that a pretty good sizedScoreboard. I think you said it was gonna be 62 x 20 which is not bad at all!
Something around those parameters which I am not I am happy with that. When I first heard about it I heard it was gonna be a lot smaller so I’m glad I think that’s pretty respectable. I just can’t wait to see what it’s gonna look like when it’s all done I cannot wait

Took a drive up to SU this morning. Took a couple of pics. Nothing exciting.

View attachment 187354View attachment 187355
You can see the wooden boxes holding the PTFE fabric in the first picture quite clearly.

It looks like more progress was made on the remaining panels that need layer 2 in the SE corner, but they did not have a big day. I am guessing it rained in Syracuse this afternoon. I know it did for a long time this afternoon in Phoenix, just a few miles north of the city.

I think they covered another panel or two with PTFE as well. I took a couple of screen captures to document this.

The weather was a lot worse than the forecast called for. I think it hurt production today. The forecast for tomorrow and beyond is much better. Hopefully production will also be better from this point forward. Not sure they can finish the hard shell tomorrow. The PTFE section is taking a long time so far. Hope things get better as they do more of the panels.

Last edited:
You can see the wooden boxes holding the PTFE fabric in the first picture quite clearly.

It looks like more progress was made on the remaining panels that need layer 2 in the SE corner, but they did not have a big day. I am guessing it rained in Syracuse this afternoon. I know it did for a long time this afternoon in Phoenix, just a few miles north of the city.

I think they covered another panel or two with PTFE as well. I took a couple of screen captures to document this.

The weather was a lot worse than the forecast called for. I think it hurt production today. The forecast for tomorrow and beyond is much better. Hopefully production will also be better from this point forward. Not sure they can finish the hard shell tomorrow. The PTFE section is taking a long time so far. Hope things get better as they do more of the panels.

hard to tell how many panels are left to complete for the hard shell. looks to be about 5 or 6 rows across on other side and at least 1 of each side is done so maybe 3 or 4 rows?

looks like they are close to doing the 3rd white panel on that SE corner, the blue and the 2 tans were done this morning. so if 8 panals is the whole corner that would leave 4 more ish. A full day they can do 2 more no problem. pushing hard on a holiday weekend

looks like they are close to doing the 3rd white panel on that SE corner, the blue and the 2 tans were done this morning. so if 8 panals is the whole corner that would leave 4 more ish. A full day they can do 2 more no problem. pushing hard on a holiday weekend
I think they have 2 or 3 columns left to cover with layer 2 in the SE corner. Might be possible to get done today. Weather is close to ideal. I bet they work to dusk and get it done.

Speaking of layer 2 and TPO, when are they going to trim up all the excess material? You can see it flapping in the breeze and there is a ton of it hanging down over the ring that surrounds the roof.

The OCD in me is dying for someone to get that taken care of.

9FFA4F66-07DC-4BB1-BA63-85F65FEF2207.jpeg

Things aren’t going as well with the PTFE install. i think they definitely have 4 done. Could well have 5 or 6. It is unfortunate they have started on the north side, the side where we have the hardest time seeing what is going on.

I think the panels put up might already be getting lighter. I assume the reason things are going so slow (maybe 1 or 2 a day) is because most of the crew is focusing on finishing up the hard shell. Hopefully things will pick up once the hard shell is done, which should be today or maybe tomorrow.

The only crane I see working these days is the one in the SE corner. I am guessing that the one we can see knuckled down in the NE corner will be broken down and moved soon. Once the hard shell is done, the one in the SE corner will likely be broken down and moved out too. Those two might be as soon as tomorrow.

Haven’t seen them put up a PTFE panel yet. Hoping to see one put up soon. They look pretty cool so far. Looks like they pull them very tight over the arcs.

Last edited: