the crane the crane | Page 298 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

5:37pm on a Sunday, and they’re still working on the roof. Let’s get it done by Wednesday or Thursday so that they can finish the uninsured by Tuesday/Wednesday of the next week and that the team can practice & scrimmage a couple of times before GA Tech arrives.

Last edited:
looks like 2 or 3 rows left to complete on the hard roof shell

Screenshot (143).png

Up north today it’s very windy. No one is on the roof yet, so it may not be a day roofers will be on the roof. Too bad, they should have finished today.

I found this video of a roof installation of ETFE, perhaps similar installation.
Good find. It looks like the same installation. It goes on flat, but the rising air puffs it up to form the bubble.

Good find. It looks like the same installation. It goes on flat, but the rising air puffs it up to form the bubble.
LOL...well I did see another tensile membrane installation where they used cables and ratchet tie downs. :rolleyes:

I found this video of a roof installation of ETFE, perhaps similar installation.
Cool. I hope they get a videographer up there to document how the TPO and PTFE roofs were installed up close and personal. This is the kind of stuff fans love and it might get casual fans interested in the building as well.
I know a bunch of people who have no interest in SU sports have become very interested in the building of the new roof, how they are doing things, why a crown truss was used, how things are progressing, etc.

They keep asking me how the finished product is going to look from the outside and the inside and when they can go to a game and see it in person. It has captured a lot of interest locally anyway...

Cool. I don’t see the same type of lining seams on the single cables that the PTFE will be connected to but the available pictures are from so far away, who knows for sure?

I am thinking all those nubs that were soldered on the tops of the arcs were for building the nets and that they won’t play a direct role in connecting the PTFE fabric to the roof. Pretty sure the PTFE gets blinded to the roof at the cables.

From the little we can see today, I like the look of the PTFE. There were lines on the fabric in the drawing that I thought looked bad but I don’t see them. Happy about that.

Winds today are forecast to be between 15 and 20 MPH. Just took the dog for a walk...it is really windy. Up on the roof, 100 feet or more up from the top of Piety Hill, where it always seems to be really windy, they are probably more In the 30-40 MPH range. I think with the extra week gained when the home football opener was moved, and all the progress made in recent weeks, there is no need to pay the overtime and risk workers lives having them out there today.

I think there are two columns left to cover up with layer 2 in the SE corner. 6 panels in all. I expect that will happen on Tuesday morning. Then hopefully, the crew can focus on finishing the install of the PTFE panels.

I can see 3 finished for sure. Might be 1 or 2 more. They have 64 to do. Can they got them done by the end of this week? Guessing no. That seems very unlikely. Looks like they are going to have less than 2 weeks to get the stuff that has to wait until the roof is completed. I suspect people will be working almost non-stop once that happens.

I would imagine a decision on whether SU will be allowed to have fans attend games in person at the dome will be announced shortly. SU would rightly be very miffed if they spent a lot of money on overtime and pushed like crazy to get the project done and have things ready for fans, then find out fans are not allowed to attend. A call needs to be made soon.

Glad NYS has delayed making that call much later than many other states. There is nothing wrong with waiting until relatively late before making this call to be sure it is made based on the latest and best information available.

I think every day that passes makes it more likely fans will be allowed to attend. If it was a clear and obvious choice, an announcement would surely have been made already.

Cool. I hope they get a videographer up there to document how the TPO and PTFE roofs were installed up close and personal. This is the kind of stuff fans love and it might get casual fans interested in the building as well.
I know a bunch of people who have no interest in SU sports have become very interested in the building of the new roof, how they are doing things, why a crown truss was used, how things are progressing, etc.

They keep asking me how the finished product is going to look from the outside and the inside and when they can go to a game and see it in person. It has captured a lot of interest locally anyway...
I think they should do an episode of This Old Dome with Bob Vila and Norm.

someone moved the bird camera
Yes, the red tailed hawk camera is now the red brick chimney camera. It bounces around from time to time. Hopefully someone resets it on the dome roof sometime soon. It was by far the best resource to see what is going on.