the crane the crane | Page 302 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Maybe...but I wonder if the schools want the Covid-19 risk?

CNS might be easier to work with especially if SU says they will pay for cleaning

The game is on ACC Network, I think they can accept a slightly lower standard of broadcast

Yeah other schools may not want it. The Bills stadium would be the best bet, although with the Bills playing the next day, it may not be possible. At least they play on fieldturf, so there's no worries of damaging the field.

just guessing could the empty rows of pfte mean on the south sides those ones will be done first?

...As for the current renovation, Sala said the school has raised the center-hung scoreboard, is installing the last of the other video boards, has 95 percent of the lighting finished and 65 percent of the speakers done. He said the school has eight panels of the fabric portion of the roof installed and needs to average about three per day to hit the constriction deadline.

I think they had to get the center hung scoreboard in place up high to free up the floor space it occupied (or that it was hanging 1 inch or so from). All of most of the roof above it is still missing so it is still surely covered with protective plastic.

Like I said earlier today, a top priority is getting the floor of the dome resurfaced. Despite all the precautions they took with the wood, the floor got chewed up pretty badly and needs to be re-done. Once that has been done, they can put the field turf down. But before they can work getting the field in place, they need to get the cranes on the dome floor out. That means the new LED lighting, the new sound system, maybe some AC stuff, upgrades to WiFi...all that kind of stuff needs to get done. From the insider pictures, it looks like they are close to that point.

I assume the PTFE roof installation will be done completely from above. The tricky part, I think, will be when they finish installing a row of PTFE and need to move the safety nets from that row to the next row over. In theory, they can leave one side attached, detach the other and re-attach it to the next cable. They could do that using ropes, I think. Something to watch for as they get close to finishing the 4 rows they are working on now. Looks like it will be a few days before they need to think about this.

Regarding using the dome for classes...with the new social distancing rules in effect, all classrooms just shrunk by 75% or so. There is a need for larger rooms to hold classes. There is a need for spacious areas that are open and heated. The dome fits the bill perfectly. You could have a bunch of classes in there concurrently and not put anyone at risk. A bonus with using the dome for classes is that it will get cleaned more carefully and more often than ever due to the classroom hosting.

Figured I'd post this here...tonight at 8 p.m. on the Science Channel, DirecTV channel 284; Verizon Fios channel 622; Spectrum Channel 768 (Gold subscribers) they are airing 'NFL Super Stadiums' and showing LA's new 2.5 billion SoFi Stadium's beginning to end construction, behind the scenes, etc. Figured some who have been present and active in this thread may be quite interested.

Last edited:
was the dome floor wood? i thought it was a rubberized surface? not sure what prep it really needs to have fake grass put down.. its still level and once you put down 4-6 inches of pellets what does matter what is the base.. its not like it can go any place.

was the dome floor wood? i thought it was a rubberized surface? not sure what prep it really needs to have fake grass put down.. its still level and once you put down 4-6 inches of pellets what does matter what is the base.. its not like it can go any place.
Not, it was not made of wood. They did use big pieces of wood on the dome floor that looked similar to railroad ties to try and protect the floor. It was covered with a rubber, or rubber-like surface. I think the original basketball court was a tartan surface, like they used at Manley.

Pete says it got chewed up and needs to be replaced. I assume it is no longer level and that Pete would not spend the money or waste the time to put a new surface down unless it was really needed. He is not the kind of a guy to spend money frivolously, or waste time.

It sounds like the locker rooms got an upgrade during this cycle as well. Will be interesting to see them, since they seemed to go pretty high tech with the all the new score boards and lighting/sound.

Between this huge Reno and the football operations complex that will result from Lally and follow on gifts, we should be well suited from a football resource standpoint relative to peers ranked in the 15-35 range

No carrier stuff to use in this phase. All retrofit. Slipping coils into existing air handling units
Coils do nothing by themselves, assuming they are using a chilled water system the water must be cooled in industrial chillers. Are they using existing chillers from the steam plant? If so they will lose quite a bit of efficiency in piping to the dome, but it may have been what they are doing. Even so I can not imagine they had enough existing capacity to AC the dome without adding chillers.