the crane the crane | Page 304 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

With all due respect, attempting to make any comparison between this Dome renovation and LA's new SoFi Stadium is literally night and day. Last night I watched that 2 hour episode I mentioned yesterday (post# 7544) that was set to air on the Science Channel. Well, frankly, it was simply mind-blowing, and I don't mean the cost, but the amazing engineering, etc. that went into this project.

From commencement (excavation from grade to 100 ft. below grade in establishing an earthquake resistant structure and ultimately low profile) to its self-contained and structurally reinforced totally separate from the bowl roofing structure (another amazing earthquake resistant engineering structure). The retractable roof with its own separate LED lighting to light the entire roof, both when closed and when it's open by inserting a layer of LED's to span the open areas of the roof. Talk about a birdseye view! All that steel framing that encompasses the aluminum jigsaw puzzle-esque facade/finished exterior. Really the entire structure is just out of this world, it truly is.

Then there's all of those astonishing amenities...from the unreal massive dual sided 360' 4K Oculus scoreboard to two separate sprawling locker rooms for each the Rams and the Chargers so that they never have to share one...again, just crazy! The list goes on and on...and on!
For $5B, it better be great. How could it not be? However, that is not my point nor was my point to say they are similar. Of course they are not. But consider we got a roof over our stadium for 2% of the cost of this entire stadium is incredible. And BC stadium was a debacle and their roof was about $500M. I am sure a lot was learned from BC stadium's mistakes and we owe them a debt of gratitude for that.

Figured I'd post this here...tonight at 8 p.m. on the Science Channel, DirecTV channel 284; Verizon Fios channel 622; Spectrum Channel 768 (Gold subscribers) they are airing 'NFL Super Stadiums' and showing LA's new 2.5 billion SoFi Stadium's beginning to end construction, behind the scenes, etc. Figured some who have been present and active in this thread may be quite interested.
SoFi looks like an amazing place. It's ready to host a Rams-Cowboys game this Sunday (9/13). But according to a recent CNBC article, the cost has risen to $5 billion.

Here's hoping that the smoke from nearby forest fires doesn't force cancellation of Sunday's home opener at SoFi Stadium.

Poor Air Quality in LA.jpg

Fixed roof with vent panels that can open.

That’s what I thought, can’t see that air quality would cancel this game if they sealed it up.

im sure the filtration system is top end for that stadium.

All of the exterior cranes are now gone. (NE in process of disassembly.)
Feel like I am losing an old friend. Gonna miss those cranes. We still have some inside we can kind of watch, for a little while longer.

The red brick chimney camera remains intent on capturing the movements of that chimney. How bizarre that it would stay pointed aimlessly at nothing for so long.

The way you describe it almost makes it a sports bucket list visit before I am 6ft under.

It really is an engineering marvel, truly out of this world. If you get a chance to see the 2 hour documentary that aired last night on the Science Channel, I highly recommend.

I'm sure one person here that can really appreciate the magnificent & incredible scope of this project's totality from a sheer design/engineering/architectural etc. perspective is NJCuse97.

It really is an engineering marvel, truly out of this world. If you get a chance to see the 2 hour documentary that aired last night on the Science Channel, I highly recommend.

I'm sure one person here that can really appreciate the magnificent & incredible scope of this project's totality from a sheer design/engineering/architectural etc. perspective is NJCuse97.
It looks like you can watch it from this web site. I think they will add more as more shows air.

Feel like I am losing an old friend. Gonna miss those cranes. We still have some inside we can kind of watch, for a little while longer.

The red brick chimney camera remains intent on capturing the movements of that chimney. How bizarre that it would stay pointed aimlessly at nothing for so long.
By “kind of watch” you must mean the occasional crumb of an inside look we get.

The camera debacle is indeed very bizarre - between Lawrinson and Red Hawk manipulations. Like they’re reading this thread and screwing with us. Ironically the only constant has been the Link weather cam. Yep, weather - especially in Syracuse - is known to be extremely stable.

Maybe a dumb question but wouldn’t they just close it up and air filter it?

Or am I crazy and it’s an open air stadium?
Maybe I misunderstood, but my impression is that it has a roof, but it doesn't seem to be totally enclosed, unlike the Carrier Dome. The Science Channel SoFi show includes video starting at 4:17 showing open-air sides and says that the stadium is cooled by "enormous air channels [that] direct the ocean breeze across the stadium's giant Bowl, keeping fans cool in the baking heat of L.A."

Stadium.jpg

Comparing the aerial photo with the latest zoom of the weather cam it seems panels 1, 2, 3 & 4 on the 1st pic are or almost done. Presumably 5 is next. But it’s hard to tell.

7F703F4B-5BA6-4DCF-9579-940DAB9C9ADD.jpeg
1334FAE1-D2F2-42AE-A438-356C6F8570CD.jpeg

Now it looks like 7 more panels are nearing completion. Wow.
View attachment 187638
Hopefully that puts them ahead of schedule:

"He said the school has eight panels of the fabric portion of the roof installed and needs to average about three per day to hit the constriction deadline. "

Hopefully that puts them ahead of schedule:

"He said the school has eight panels of the fabric portion of the roof installed and needs to average about three per day to hit the constriction deadline. "
Not sure about that timing of the 8. On the aerial there were already 14 done.

So, if exposure to the sun will bleach the panels white, how many years of Syracuse sunshine will be required?
For the other dome roofs, I think they replaced them during the summer. By the time football season started, my memory is that they had turned white.

They put it up much later in the year this time. so instead of taking a month or two, it might not get all white until next summer. Something to watch for...

Finally, from the LC a view of one of the tensioned membrane (ptfe-coated fiberglass fabric) covering the steel tube arches. Yes!

Last edited:
So, if exposure to the sun will bleach the panels white, how many years of Syracuse sunshine will be required?
That explains why dentists offer 15-minute whitening programs.

Would also explain why Michael Jackson went to the dentist weekly...