The Dino Babers Show- before Clemson | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show- before Clemson

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
New Home for AmeriCU Dino Babers Show

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to The Alan Nathan Show on WGVA on TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn
I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s)

“Congratulations, coach on beating Pittsburgh. They had beaten us 13 times in the last 15 years. Before that we’d beaten them 16 times in 18, (with one tie). Before that they beat us 11 times in a row. I’ve always attributed that to the fact that SU and Pitt battle for the same Pennsylvania recruits and whoever wins that battle is going to dominate the series. You’ve been on both sides of it, having been a Pitt assistant in 2003, just as they were turning the series their way. What can you tell those Pennsylvania kids to get them to come to Syracuse instead of Pittsburgh?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Coach wants us in the Dome in force Friday night. “From the city to the suburbs, let’s fill the Dome, Make it the loud house. It’s the definition of faith.”

His biggest concern is the Clemson front four, which has “At least three #1 draft choices”. He said “we need a performance like Pitt in the second half – with Donte Strickland’s running and the line protecting Eric Dungey.” (If we see Dontae Strickland making any headway in this game, we’ll have a scoop.)

Clemson has won 11 in a row- since Pitt beat them. Matt asked “Where do you start to find a way to get this done?” HCDB: It was difficult to find any weaknesses. There’s none in the defensive line. The linebackers are great and the corners are going to play in the NFL. When you can’t find weaknesses, you go to your strengths…..We’ve got to score points. You don’t normally beat a #1 or #2 team without scoring points.” Matt pointed out we once beat #1 Nebraska 17-9 and we gave them two points. But Appalachian State’s win over Michigan was a 34-32 game.

Liam of Pompey beat me to the first call but all he had to say was that it was a good win and he hopes we “shock the world” against Clemson.

Matt went back to the subject of Strickland and how we were able to “run out the game clock” with his “very important yards”. Coach liked his “consistency…We had balance twice this year- against Central Michigan and Pittsburgh.” He explained how Pitt’s coverage scheme, focusing on Ismael and Phillips, allowed us to go to Butler and Pierce more. “It let us be more efficient. And efficient is hard to beat…it’s exciting to see other people being interviewed after the game. Ryan Guthrie, Alton Robinson, Rodney Williams, Jordan Martin, Scoop Bradshaw, Chris Frederick, Dontae Strickland, Devin Bulter, Ravian Pierce.” Pierce came within 1 yard, (we know what yard) of 100 yards receiving. Babers speculated that it might have bene the first 100 yard receiving days by an SU tight end since “the great Chris Gedney”. Matt promised to ask Chris about that during the broadcast.

I got my question in. “We sell education. A Syracuse degree isn’t just famous in Upstate or the Northeast
It’s international. Pittsburgh is a fine educational institution but On the east coach “S” means Syracuse, just as it means Stanford on the west coast. Then there’s the Dome. We are the only school that has one. It’s an NFL quality venue. I can guarantee both offensive and defensive players 6-7 games a year with perfect weather- no wind, no rain and no sun. If they are concerned with numbers and stats or wins, this is the place to come.” (I suspect the Dome is the more important part of the pitch.) Matt said that Pitt in recent years hasn’t had “blow you away talent”. Dino said he wants the toughest players in both New York and Pennsylvania “who are serious about education”.

Matt quoted Lou Holtz when he got the Minnesota job: I guarantee you our player’s heart and soul will be from the great state of Minnesota. But their arms and legs will be from somewhere else.” Babers laughed heartily. Matt noted that the Clemson players aren’t all from the Deep South. One of the defensive linemen is from Springfield, Mass, (Christian Wilkins).

They went over an injury report. Coleman and Black might be available for the D-line but Dino doesn’t want them to “take on those Clemson monsters unless they are going full speed. We don’t want them injured again. Avant, Cordy and Kleinsman are defiantly out. Shy Cullen is probable. They talked about Evan Foster but I didn’t get his precise status. Jake Pickard appears to be ready but hasn’t practiced since July so “there’s no telling what would happen” if he played.

They talked about the prospect of facing a back-up QB, although Kris Bryant will apparently be able to play. His back-up Hunter Johnson, was a 5 star recruit. Babers said that you will normally win a game against a back-up quarterback if it’s his first game but that sometimes they can surprise you- they make have skills the starter didn’t have, such as a being a better runner or making certain throws better.

What is the difference between Friday night and Saturday games? “Everybody’s watching- other teams, other coaches. You want to put your best foot forward.”

Matt asked about Nick Saban’s description of favorable press reports about his team being “rat poison”. How do you control what players hear and read? “You tell them the truth. There will be articles written in their favor and against them. You talk to them about football and about life.”

On the subject of the national anthem: It’s moot here as the team is in the locker when it’s played. “People have the right to peacefully demonstrate. I was raised with kids whose fathers were MIA. My father and his brother are buried together in a military cemetery. Anything we do will we will do together, as a family, behind closed doors.”

One thing they did as a family, behind closed doors, was vote on team captains, something the coaches did last year “because of the change in cultures. Last year’s team would have voted based on the old culture so the coaches made the decision.” Zaire Franklin became the first three-time captain since the 19th century. Eric Dungey was the offensive captain and Sterling Hofrichter was named captain of the special teams.

Mike Lynch was on the Eastern Illinois staff when Dino Babers got there and he’s kept him on staff ever since. “He’s one of our better recruiters and whatever I’ve asked him to do he’s gotten the job done.” He’s now co-offensive coordinator and our offensive line coach, which means that mountainous Clemson front four is his direct concern. Lynch said that he’d bene sleeping well because we’ve ahd a week of good practices. Austin Bryant and Clelin Farrell are “really twitchy off the edge…They have multiple moves and counter moves.” Dexter Lawrence “si 340 pounds of muscle- and he may be more than that.” Christian Wilkins “used from the inside out. He could be over the center or out on the edge. He’s a converted defensive end….They use 2-3 different fronts. They have awesome players and a tough scheme.”

SU’s two freshmen on the offensive line, Airon Servias and Sam Heckle are “making great strides. They have a huge learning curve but are getting better every week. We need to be strong up the middle.”

Thanks for that and I really enjoy and understand the points HCDB makes while usually agreeing with his analysis. Donte is going to have to play a heck of a game on many levels Friday night. I wouldn't be surprised to see Elmore and Hackett in the backfield to handle some of those monsters Clemson has up front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom