The Dino Babers Show - before Liberty | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before Liberty

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. The show is two days before the game, except for Thanksgiving week. Here is the schedule:

Thursday, Aug. 29 – 7 pm; Thursday, Sept. 5 – 7 pm; Thursday, Sept. 12 – 7 pm
Thursday, Sept. 19 – 7 pm; Thursday, Sept. 26 – 7 pm; Tuesday, Oct. 8 – 7 pm
Wednesday, Oct. 16 – 7 pm; Thursday, Oct. 24 – 7 pm; Thursday, Oct. 31 – 7 pm
Thursday, Nov. 14 – 7 pm; Thursday, Nov. 21 – 7 pm; Tuesday, Nov. 26 – 7 pm

They are now adding the “Gomez Hour” that they do from 8-9PM for the Jim Boeheim basketball shows to the Dino Babers football show. I’ll be summarizing the comments directly related to the team and the next game (late) on the night of the broadcast and anything else interesting the next day, (if there is anything else that seems interesting). I’ll have a “first hour” and a “second hour” question.

The show will originate from PressRoom Pub, located at 220 Herald Place in Syracuse's historic Herald Square, each week this season.

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to WGVA on TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn
I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s) or Comments

First Hour:

“Coach, I grew up in the Csonka-Little era here and I’ve always been fond of the notion that on a running play, as on a passing play, it’s a good think if the defense isn’t sure who is going to get the ball. Last year we were kind of a throwback as we had a quarterback who was essentially a second running back and who ran like a fullback. The defense not only couldn’t be sure if it was a run or a pass. They didn’t know who to tackle once they found out. Now Eric Dungey is gone. How do we replace the versatility and deception he brought to our running game? “

Second Hour:

“Coach at Eastern Illinois you had two running backs, Taylor Duncan and Shepard Little who both carried the ball 217 times and who both ran for over 1,000 yards. At Bowling Greene you had two running backs, Travis Greene and Fred Coppet, who carried the ball 368 times and gained over 2,000 yards. Did these players simply alternate at one positon or did they play in tandem, like an old-fashioned fullback-halfback combination? With Moe Neal, Abdul Adams, Jarveon Howard, Markenzy Pierre and Jawhar Jordan all available, is it possible we’ll see two running backs in the game at the same time at Syracuse?“

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

The 2019 Syracuse football season began with this noise:

…followed by the music a radio station plays when there are technical difficulties. After a few minutes, the show final came on the air, in progress. Coach was talking about Hugh Freeze and how older coaches often have a lot of different ways they can scheme a team while a younger coach may have one system that he uses for everybody. It was a continuation of Dino’s theme that we don’t know what to expect from Liberty.

John in Baltimore wanted to know if we will be in a 4-3-4 defense or a 4-2-5. Dino: “It’s match-ups. We’ll pick our personnel to match-up with what the other team is doing. Most teams are spread teams and the 4-2-5 is built for the spread. We have large defensive backs who can do this.”

I called in my first question about how we will replace Eric Dungey’s running. DB: “We’ll go at it in a more traditional manner… Eric had fantastic legs…We have good running back schemes. We’ll have run-pass options, horizontal stretches…we have advanced from the old days. We have different ways to move the defense around….this is the longest drought I’ve ever had between 1,000 yards rushers and I’m tired of it.”

Matt Park noted, “This is not the air raid offense. You want to lead the nation in total offense.” DB: Teams that lead the nation in passing don’t usually win their conference or any championships beyond that. We want to run the football when we want to and to stop the run. It’s difficult to win if you don’t.”

Matt asked what the plan was with the running backs, since we have 4-5 good ones. DB: “Neal knows our offense like a quarterback. Abdul doesn’t know it all but he knows enough.” He mentioned not only Howard and Jordan but also Otto Zaccardo and Markenzy Pierre as running backs we’ll see this year. I alter called in my second question about whether he’d used running backs in tandem at EIU or BG: no he didn’t. Duncan and Little got all 217 carries each alternating at the same positon, as did Greene and Coppet. “We believe in one running back. We want to spread the field and then see what we want to do with the running game.” He said that at EIU, both running backs were all-conference running out of the same positon. They got so many carries because they made so many first downs. So I guess it works.

He wants to have 7-8 offensive linemen the can rely on. The three best ones are cross-trained at multiple positons because they are the most versatile ones. “We will play to the strengths of the other five and use the top three to adjust.” They talked about players playing more than one positon and even on both sides of the ball. “To be a really good football player you have to understand the other side of the ball. It’s a huge advent age when a player gets moved and then goes back to his natural positon. Position flexibility is the key to everything we do. Parents who train their kids to play one positon in one sport aren’t helping their kids. They will burn out and they won’t get the wide range of skills they’d get playing different positons and different sports. Kids with the widest range of athletic skills learn the most in college.

They talked about the 150th anniversary of college football and SU’s rather large part in it. Later he talked about meeting Jim Brown: “I have a couple of degrees and he gave me a speech impediment.” He said he actually managed to get a few words out meeting Larry Csonka. He was similarly in awe of Floyd Little. “Jim Brown played here in the 50’s and Larry and Floyd came in right after and, if you can believe it, all three of them are bigger than any of the running backs we have now.” Another big meeting he recalled was Dan Fouts, who “started all this spread stuff with the Chargers under Don Coryell.”

Coach said that the first game he remembers watching was the one where Charles White of USC made all those big runs to overcome that big deficit against Notre Dame. I have a bad habit of correcting people and when I called in for the second hour I told him that it was Anthony Davis. I also reminded him that we have a statue of a guy who came right after Jim brown and I wished he had a chance to meet Ernie. I also told him Jim Nance should not be forgotten, (even John Mackey was a running back at one time).

Liberty has a lot of things going for them in this game: “experienced skill players, guys who have put up big numbers and been around 3-4 years and know what they are doing. And they will be better under Hugh Freeze, better than what we’re seeing on tape from past seasons, with new schemes we aren’t seeing on tape….preparing for Liberty involves watching their personnel running plays they won’t be using against us, watching Auburn to see the plays they might use with athletes they don’t have, watching Georgia Southern for their defense. In other words, we basically have no clue.” (Neither do I: looking at their staff, neither Freeze nor his coordinators coached at Auburn or Georgia Southern:
Coaches | Liberty Flames )

They discussed the defense, beginning with the loss of McKinley “Bear” Williams. You can guess what he said. “It’s a ‘next man up attitude’. Kendall and Alton need help in the middle. They need the middle to be part of the disruption.” The defensive backs “are the core of the defense. Just like in baseball, you have to be strong up the middle: the quarterback, the ‘one technique’, the Mike and the safeties.” (The ‘one technique’…really? You mean the nose tackle?) Chris Fredrick “is a guy who started for two coaching staffs and is getting an engineering degree.” Scoop Bradshaw “has played a lot of football. He sacrificed his body for the team, the athletic department, the administration, the school and the community to save the Clemson game two years ago. We couldn’t have won it without him… the secondary doesn’t play with a lot of emotion but that can be good. You can’t be thinking about the last play. You’ve got to focus on the next play.” Matt pointed out that we led the nation in takeaways last year with 31.

A fan at the Pub submitted a question: What is the main character trait that Dino looks for in recruits? It’s perhaps significant that he didn’t directly addr4eess “character traits”. DB: “We look at ability and also at academics. He has to survive in a private university and he has to have the footprint of an ACC football player. If we don’t beat these people, I’m not sitting here next to Matt doing this show. Matt said he could still eat at the Pressroom pub and sit next to Matt even if he didn’t beat ACC teams. DB: “But I’d be out of a job and couldn’t afford it.”

He went on about recruiting: “You talk to people who saw the recruit when he didn’t know they were looking at him: the security guard, someone who worked in the cafeteria. You stop a random female in the fall and ask her if she would go out with the recruit.” (That could be misinterpreted.) “We talk to a favorite teacher – but not to the coach.”

The ACC network is getting launched. Coach noted “how much attention they gave us. They don’t quite believe what we did last year. I tell the kids that 2019 is not 2018 and we’ve got to prove ourselves all over again.” Every team in the Coastal Division got a first place vote. That was not the case in the Atlantic Division.

Every week they will interview an assistant coach. This week it’s offensive coordinator Mike Lynch. He started by praising our top defensive players: Kendall Coleman and Alton Robinson and the defensive backs. “They sharpened us up. Iron sharpens you better.” (And the hardest steel is forged in the hottest fire….)

“Airon Servais was moved to tackle to better protect Tommy. Sam Heckel has been training to be our enter since he got here…..Tommy’s had a really good fall camp and great week of practice He’s very accurate and the players have great confidence in him.” Matt asked about the running backs: with so many of them, “where are you going to get the numbers from”? He was referring to Dino’s desire to have a 1,000 yard rusher. Lynch was vague but feels we are “fully capable of having a 1,000 yard back.” He feels that the receiver corps “has great frames”. Matt wondered if Trishton Jackson might emerge as our #1 receiver. Lynch thinks it will be Taj Harris, who is “very twitchy”, which he defined as “dynamic and really fast".

Gomez took over for Matt and noted that more season tickets than ever had been sold this year.

He asked the coach about Abdul Adams and Triston Jackson and what contributions they might make this year. Coach was impressed that these two highly rated transfers, coming from top programs, spent most of last year playing on the scout teams imitating the opposition’s biggest threats and getting knocked around by our defense without complaint. Then they finally got to play and both scored in the bowl game.

Coach had been interviewed this afternoon by Brent Axe and came up with one of his stranger visual metaphors to describe the offensive line. He compared them to microwave popcorn with the best of them pushing their way to the top of the pile. “We need 7-8 guys to turn into popcorn, with no kernels.” Gomez asked where he came up with that comparison. It’s because coach loves to go to the movies and always has buttered popcorn. “It’s fattening but I’ll work out more.” (Us movie fans like visual metaphors, some of which can be strange.)

Gomez asked what Dino would talk about if he was asked to make a speech on anything other than football. Many things: “Learning, teaching, listening, observing…” He started describing the patrons of the Pub, such as a man who was gesturing as he talked but who was, “not as passionate about the subject as he is pretending to be.” He described several other patrons, dispassionately. Then they went to one of their musical interludes, which are used throughout the Gomez segment to give the coach, (and me, taking notes) a break. When they came back, Gomez reported that Coach Babers, who had been listening to the music was ”playing air guitar”.

Gomez changed the subject to how many players show up for fall practice and need extra work because they haven’t followed off-season instruction. DB: “There are always guys who need extra work. Many are coming off of injuries. They understand what they need to work on. Sometimes they need to ask. Sometimes they are told.”

Gomez said that he’d seen Eric Dungey and that “Dungey looks like Superman – or Superman needs to look like him.” He asked how Eric “mentored” Tommy DeVito. Dino didn’t think he mentored them. “The quarterbacks are like brothers – and they compete like brothers.”

Gomez, knowing that coach was a movies fan, asked him what movie the Liberty game reminded him of. Somewhat alarmingly, he cited not a movie, (unless he was referring to “They Died With Their Boots On), but a battle: the Little Big Horn”. “Like Custer we’re overconfident. He sees all those Indian tribes and says “Let’s fight another day or get some more troops in here. I see the game as a trap: It’s our first time there, the first time they’ve hosted a top 25 team, a new staff, coaching players who have played there for three years, the fans are going to be crazy, there will be weather conditions, we’re a little banged up on defense, there could be turnovers and penalties and we’ve got to get our head straight.” Jeez…
They Died With Their Boots On - Theatrical Trailer

Then he brought up another movie comparison: Apollo 13. “There’s Pan A and Plan B and if they didn’t have a Plan B, they’d never get back to earth…Until the first game, the players are hearing you. After the first game, they are listening to you. Between games 4 and 6, everything settles down. As long as we’re a good team and we stay together we’re going to have a good season.”

“An old coach told me that if you start having great season, you need to stay and get the kudos for it.”

Coach ended the show by thanking “Lopez” for being a good host and announcing his intention to ask him questions in the next show. I wonder what they serve at the Pressroom Pub…

Last edited:
Thank you so much SWC...most paid professionals (and definitely myself) couldn't report any better.

Always love Babers answers and analogies. Even though I think his 1000 yard isn't as important as it used to be still the push to run the ball effectively and to have that done by the RB's is huge, for winning games and recruiting. Lots of talent and hungry for the ball guys...5 deep, wow how wonderful that is to have.

Even if the D doesn't get that many turnovers as long as the O isn't turning it over this offense and team will click. The D is good enough to be able to overcome that with talent and just stopping those 3rd downs like they have in the past... into punts, will be good enough to win most games.

Dino again with a mention of job security “if I didn’t get ACC level recruits I wouldn’t be sitting here” or something along those lines. He knows and is conscious about Job security that’s very clear, and he won’t find better security for a job then in the 315. I feel like this was a match made in orange fandom heaven. And likewise with Dino!

thanks SWC, awesome stuff. SO GLAD to hear DB compare themselves to Custer, being overconfident, etc. That means he's saying same to the team, and awareness is at least half the battle to overcome something, so I'm actually feeling better than otherwise would have about this first game. He'll have us (them!) ready.

I hereby take back my Apollo Creed trainer analogy......

Dino is a little corny sometimes...

The things he's worried about against Liberty are the same things I'm worried about... Kinda surprised he verbalized it... Lot's of negative thoughts there...

Dino is a little corny sometimes...

The things he's worried about against Liberty are the same things I'm worried about... Kinda surprised he verbalized it... Lot's of negative thoughts there...
I think he uses media opportunities well to help set his team's mindset. He's a calculating guy and doesn't just use the same cliches regardless of circumstance.

I think he uses media opportunities well to help set his team's mindset. He's a calculating guy and doesn't just use the same cliches regardless of circumstance.

Do the players listen to this show?

thanks SWC, awesome stuff. SO GLAD to hear DB compare themselves to Custer, being overconfident, etc. That means he's saying same to the team, and awareness is at least half the battle to overcome something, so I'm actually feeling better than otherwise would have about this first game. He'll have us (them!) ready.

I hereby take back my Apollo Creed trainer analogy...

For a movie analogy I was thinking more of this:

We're Godzilla and Lynchburg is Tokyo.

Do the players listen to this show?
Beats me, but they probably catch media stuff here and there and I think Dino repeats similar things to a variety media outlets.

When they came back, Gomez reported that Coach Babers, who had bene listening to the music was ”playing air guitar”.
LOL

Lopez is the man. Always liked him better than Charlie, who comes across a bit too nerdy for a rock-n-roller.

Priceless! Nailed Dino's confident and breezy demeanor. A fun and informative read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom