The Dino Babers Show - before MTS | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before MTS

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
New Home for AmeriCU Dino Babers Show

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to The Alan Nathan Show on WGVA on TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter

Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Syracuse University Athletics

You can listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s)

“Coach, everybody’s concerned about the running game. I’ve looked at the numbers at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green, and your teams have always been able to run the ball. Is there anything strategically different that you did then or was it just the result of the difference between the personnel and opposition you had then as opposed to now? “

Names and numbers:
2012 Jake Walker, ran for 1,133 yards and 12TDs. Taylor Duncan ran for 466 yards and 8 scores.
2013 Shepard Little (5-10 198) ran for 1,551 yards and 15 TDs and Duncan Taylor (6-3 224) ran for 1,003 yards and 10TDs. Each carried the ball 217 times. Taylor Duncan, 6-3 224 and Shepard Little, 5-10 198
2014 Travis Green - 949 yards / 5.3 average Fred Coppet - 764 yards / 5.4 average
2015 Travis Green – 1,298 yards 5.8 average Fred Coppet - 826 yards 5.7 average

The Show

(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

(I kept calling both numbers (315-424-8599 and 888-746-2873) and got about 10 rings, then silence, then a busy signal. Finally, as they began the second half of the show, I was able to get through. The problem apparently wasn’t on my end because Matt kept asking for phone calls and was doing things like trivia questions, (what was the most popular movie of 1987?) to fill time. )

Coach said that the most growth in the team is from the 1st to the 2nd game. “The coaches have bene in our dungeon, making sure we have the right people in the right spots.” He was happy the young players and walk-ons who work so hard but never get to play got into the game.

He’s very concerned for the Middle Tennessee game. They lost but “their opponent was a little tougher than ours.”

Eric Dungey got “the highest grade for a quarterback of any second year QB in his first game”. He obviously means their second year in his system. In both Jimmy Garoppolo’s and Matt Johnson’s case they were juniors when Babers inherited them and this is, of course, Dungey’s third year. “He was really on fire. We made some mistakes but some of the mistakes were made by others. We are working on correcting them. He hadn’t played in November. It’s hard for a quarterback to be patient. They want it all now. He was patient and put the ball where those guys had opportunities to make plays, like in the one-hander Custis caught. We have a high bar for wide receivers on our team. Ish, (Ismael) is hurting over the dropped TD pass. He’s a perfectionist.).

He talked about Antwan Cordy’s status. “With 48 hours to play, we don’t know. He has been at every practice.” Dino had said the same thing on Brent Axe’s show a couple hours before that. “He’s been at every practice. Hopefully, he’ll play.” That phrase “he’s bene at practice” bothered me. He didn’t say he was practicing. Is he trying to pull one on the opposition? Cordy is a good player but is he the sort that teams game-plan for? Would there be a point in pretending he was going to play when he’s actually unavailable?

Brent Stockstill “is higher rated than Dungey. He can extend plays. We’ve got to find a way to get to him. We got lots of hits on Central Connecticut’s quarterback.” He said that Eric “has got to stay on the field- to prove his durability- to drive up his brand, (with the NFL).”

Matt did ask a question about the running game. Babers had said something about Dungey’s running: “We don’t have to do it the hard way. We can do it the easy way.” About the conventional running attack: We’re waiting for the elephants to grow up. We started 2 freshmen on the interior line. Ravian and Elmore give us the ability to run a greater variety of running plays. The backs have to keep running hard waiting for the linemen to mature. The freshmen are playing against guys who may be 4-5 years older than they are.” Matt suggested that the freshmen are being introduced to their first weight program and training table. And to more complicated schemes.

Matt took questions form the crowd at Shaughnessy’s:
Why did Culpepper play? “I wanted to see what he would do in a game.” Matt asked why he wasn’t wearing a protective jersey in practice. “It’s hard to judge a quarterback if they aren’t getting hit.”
One guy was sick of walking to the Dome and wondered if we ever change the venture for the game. “I hope we never move. The Loud House is our biggest advantage.” We’ll turn the lights on and turn them off when the game is over.”
The same questioner asked if Dino was a nickname or is it on his birth certificate? “We’ll have to be real good friends before I let you see my birth certificate.”

Someone finally answered the phone and I got to ask my question. Dino: “At EIU they’d only won two games the year before but they had a veteran line who was playing together for the second year. I got them in their third year and they were one of the top liens in FCS. At Bowling Green that line had played together as babies and sophs and they won the championship that year but with their defense. When we rolled in, they’d already played two years as a unit. These guys (at SU this year), have never played together before. They are just trying to figure it out. We need to have the backs hit the creases and we need to open up creases for them to hit.” I asked him how long it would take. “That’s the big question and if you can come up with the answer, we can both have a vacation in the Bahamas”. I told him I’d take a rain check on that.

Dino stresses yards per carry. “If you can average 4.0, you will play. You might not start but you can invite your parents to the game because you will play. If you average 4.4, you will start and you won’t lose your job. That’s what we expect and are trying to get to.” Matt quoted the career yards per carry of Ernie Davis, (6.6) and Jim Brown (5.6) and, in honor of the ’87 team, Robert Drummond, who averaged 5.5. “They would start for me!” (How about Jordan Fredericks, coach? He averaged 5.6! :mad: Unfortunately my phone call was over at that point.:() “I’m not going to change the standards. The players have to live up to them.”

Josh asked what the key to attacking an aggressive defense was. Dino joked that he was asking him to give away his game plan. “It’s harder to move the ball on offense than it is to stop people on defense. More people have to do things right to make the offense work. Everybody has to know who to block.”

A caller, (didn’t get the name) ask Coach what he thought of Syracuse after coaching all over the country. “I like any city that’s like a small town. When they say there is traffic and you are saying “this isn’t traffic, that’s good. The summers – OMG!. I was born in Hawaii and we have colors here they don’t have in Hawaii. The water is a cleaner but we have better trees.”

They talked about defensive coordinator Brian Ward, who would be the special guest. HCDB: “We were one play from a shutout. That’s good defense no matter who you are playing. It took a perfect throw. And we almost had a shut-out on third down.”

Ward said that his process isn’t going to change just because we are playing a good team. “But we might save things for other opponents.” He said Brent Stockstill “makes incredible decisions” and “extends the play…They try to get Richie James the ball any way they can. He’s their best player.” He didn’t see any rivalry between himself and Scott Shafer. “I’ve been coaching for 21 years and cross paths with many coaches I’d coached with or against. I’m aware I’m coaching his players. But once we get in the film room, none of that means anything.”

Thanks, SWC... Perfect reading while I savor my beer on National Beer Lover's Day!

So Pierre and his 5.1 YPC will get the nod this week?

Also curious if we have someone capable of shadowing and shutting down James they way Shamarko used to shut down Tavon?

pressure the Qb to shut down the WR. Same thing they want to do to us

It's odd in previous years I could listen to the show later if I missed it but now there seems to be no podcast saved at tunein. So thanks again SWC75 for the write ups.

Thank you for asking the question. It was a good answer and hopefully the line will start to jell before the ACC season starts. I do think that'll it'll be next year before the OL really do start to take off but there will be spurts of greatness/potential this season.

“But we might save things for other opponents.”

This quote from Ward might be true, but I am not so sure about the wisdom of sharing that with the media.

Did he mean: We can beat them without fully tipping our hand for future opponents...or, we are not going to overextend pressure on the QB because he “makes incredible decisions” and “extends the play."

Dino stresses yards per carry. “If you can average 4.0, you will play. You might not start but you can invite your parents to the game because you will play. If you average 4.4, you will start and you won’t lose your job. ...

Unless your name is Jordan. Might not be a hard and fast rule...

What's with the dude who doesn't want to walk to the Dome? How'd he get to the bar? Would he rather they play in his front yard?

It's odd in previous years I could listen to the show later if I missed it but now there seems to be no podcast saved at tunein. So thanks again SWC75 for the write ups.

That link is from last year. It gets you to the site but maybe they don't podcast anymore. Cuse.com used to podcast but ti took them forever to do it and eventually they stopped doing it. I'll leave the link on in case Tunein starts to podcast again.

That link if from last year. It gets you to the site but maybe they don't podcast anymore. Cuse.com used to podcast but ti took them forever to do it and eventually they stopped doing it. I'll leave the link on in case Tunein starts to podcast again.
I've checked it out the last two weeks. They only let you listen to the show live. Still has all the shows from last year.

Thank you for asking the question. It was a good answer and hopefully the line will start to jell before the ACC season starts. I do think that'll it'll be next year before the OL really do start to take off but there will be spurts of greatness/potential this season.

I think that's why he's backed off of the "4th to 6th week of the second season" prediction. It might be the third season instead.

I think that's why he's backed off of the "4th to 6th week of the second season" prediction. It might be the third season instead.

Dino has said a lot of things. As with other coaches, he can be difficult to parse.

The 4-6 weeks/second season seems to refer primarily to the tempo of his offense -- and we have seen an increase in pace. He likes how Dungey has graded out. But Dino has also said the second season magic happened in two prior HC stops, but he can't account for how it came together. (Matt Johnson's return from injury might be a big part of that at BGSU.) Also said the ingredients he inherited here, and talent gap vs our opponents, differ from his prior stops. So, results may vary.

Then, the running game isn't up to his standards -- and a guess of when the running attack will be good can win you a trip to Bermuda. The young elephants need to grow up -- and that does not sound like this October.

But also, in his recent ACC conf call Dino said the team has a Swag, is beginning to believe they can be good, and this year might be a "special year".

As for the third season -- well, we lose Dungey's two primary receivers, and the LBs who are the core of the defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom