The Dino Babers Show- before Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show- before Notre Dame

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
http://cuse.com/news/2016/8/30/football-dino-babers-radio-show-debuts-wednesday.aspx

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: WGVA

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

My Question(s)

“Coach, Dontae Strickland is averaging 3.7 yards per carry, Moe Neal 4.1 Last year Strickland averaged 3.9 yards per carry. Jordan Fredericks was our leading rusher last season and averaged 5.7 yards per carry. This year he is averaging 6.1. He’s carried the ball 14 times, Neal 31 times and Strickland 61 times.

Coaches do things for good reasons and fans may not always know what those reasons are. What is it that Strickland and Neal give you that Fredericks does not give you and makes up for the difference in statistical production? “

The Show

(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

(They were still in the Cavallier Room. They will move to Shaughnessy’s when it is finished. )

Coach said that the players were “getting their heads back to .500. We are fortunate to be 2-2 considering the opponents we have had. We need to keep fighting for our goals, all of which are still in front of us.”

Matt mentioned all the big plays we made on both offense and defense. DB: “You want little plays to set up the opposition for big plays. Against South Florida we got the little plays but not the big ones, especially in the red zone. We need to score some points and start playing with house money.

Coach was amazed that Matt had told him that we hadn’t won a road game in four years. So was I. We didn’t win any last year but we won four of them in 2013-14 as well as three in 2012.

“Notre Dame will be angry and mad and want to change their season.” (Maybe if they were just mad we could beat them.) Matt wondered if the coach was secretly rooting against Duke so as not to get the Irish’s Irish up. “No I’m allowed to root against and ACC team.

I called in my question. DB: “You have to look at the entire body of work, not statistics at the end of a game. You look at spring ball, two-a-days, how they digested the offense. Moe Neal has our longest run and Dontae Strickland had that 100 yard game. Jordan’s an excellent player who works very hard but he’ll have to wait for his turn.” That must be a bitter pill for our leading rusher from last year, considering that both he and Strickland are sophomores and Neal is a freshman. When will his turn come?

Matt noted that Etta Tawo had broken a 31 year old record for receiving yards but will now “be at the top of the scouting report” and that should open things up for the other receivers and the running game. Coach said “We’ve always been balanced everywhere we’ve been. It all balances out in the end.”

Liam from Pompey suggested that Notre Dame was “having a down year” but they were still a good team that had lost to good teams: how is Coach preparing his team for the Irish. DB: “They are a really good football team. They were in the top ten four weeks ago. They haven’t lost as many players as we have and they are still that talented. Somebody figured out that their defensive team had a total of 50 or 55 recruiting stars.” (I assume that’s on the two deep or they’d have a five star guy at every spot.) “I don’t know what we’ve got.”

“It’s real cool to play in an NFL stadium. 98.5% of college football players will never get to play professionally. I’ll take a cue from Hoosiers and tell the players the field is still 120 yards long and 52 ½ yards wide, etc.” Matt was glad that coach had mentioned “Hoosiers” and not “Rudy” and wondered if that would be the film recommendation. Coach said “It would never be Rudy”.

Tom in Syracuse said it was “a pleasure, honor and privilege” to talk to the coach- he wanted to come to his office and shake his hand- and praised him for “trying to change the culture” here. He wondered how that was going. DB: “Any time you want to change something it takes time: you have to be consistent and it takes faith.”

Tom said we were “doing a lot better against the pass”. Coach said “We have to adjust off personnel. Connecticut was a power running team so we could play the receivers deep. Notre Dame uses the short pass so we have to play various levels in the secondary.“

Tom also wondered if we could use our quarterback’s feet more, since both Dungey and Mahoney can run. DB: “We are ability to move the pocket. Moving the pocket can help the quarterback but Notre Dame has only one sack. We’ll have to see what changes will come with the new Defensive Coordinator.” What about the Notre Dame quarterbacks? “It’s a blessing to have two such talented players decide to stay in school, not transfer and get their degrees.” Matt noted that DeShone Kizer is a big guy: 6-4 ½ 235.

They acknowledged the death of Arnold Palmer. “Good golfer, I understand, in addition to inventing that drink. I loved his commercials. We’re goona miss him”.

Tom Coughlin will accompany the game captains to midfield for the opening coin flip. For this game, Amba Etta Tawo, Cordell Hudson and Rodney Williams are the game captains. They are chosen because “They are going about their business the right way and playing at a game-winning level”.

Notre Dame has a new tradition: they rotate giving #1 to players according to who was most deserving in the last game. Do you suppose we could….

How important is it to award effort? “It’s important for family, ohana, la familia. We’re all heading down the same road.”

Coach is supporting a charity raising funds for children with cancer. Fans can do the same at crowdrise.com “A House Untied”:
Fundraising Website - Raise Money Online For Causes & Charities - CrowdRise

John in Baltimore had two questions. Is Notre Dame going to be playing under a lot of pressure? DB: “They are a really good football team. They will circle the wagons. They need to stop calling shots and making predictions and cross their Ts and dot there Is.”

What was it like getting such an endorsement from Jim Brown? “All I can say is Wow! That man is very intimidating. I was glad he was on my side.”

What about the weather at the game? “Rain doesn’t change our offense unless the ball is slippery. But we can go under center. We don’t need to be in the shotgun. Wind affects us more than moisture.”

Coach is a “Game of Thrones” fan – do the players understand his references to the show? Coach said the kids know what he’s talking about. “We’ve got a lot of good out-of-state recruits lined up. If we can hold on to them we should have a really good class.

Matt introduced Co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Sean Lewis as “6 foot 13”. Actually, he’s ‘only’ 6-7. (Matt’s no midget himself, if you’ve ever met him). Dino said “He’s one of the younger Offensive Coordinators in the USA.” (How many of them are outside the USA?) “I’ve worked with him for 6 years .” (Not sure how: per his bio, Lewis graduated from Wisconsin in ’07, then coached in high school ball for two years, then Nebraska Omaha and Akron before landing at Eastern Illinois in 2012.) “He’s a badger but has adapted to our system. He has a fabulous mind and is someone I trust. He will be a fine head coach someday.”

Lewis joked with the coach that the compliments won’t change anything- “you’re not going to get a raise from me”. Lewis says the team will progress, not regress. They’ve a great job of being ‘all in’. There will be big things down the road. The games are precious but practice is where you are going to get better. We treat practice as if it was a game.”

How will the change in DC to Greg Hudson impact lewis? “We have a four game body of work. Because of how fast we play we can dictate to teams and limit what they can do. They are also a spread team but we do it faster.”

Matt asked him about Amba Etta Tawo’s success. “We expect player to be able to make adjustments on the fly and he makes fast decisions.” That may be a reason we don’t see as much of other players as we expected: they don’t make these type of decisions as quickly.

This is one of two games the team will travel to by bus- Boston College is the other. What movies does coach recommend for long bus rides? “We’ll be doing some new movies this time but for BC we’ll have a series of old ones I like”. One of them is “Glory”, about a unit of African-American Civil War soldiers being trained by Matthew Broderick. He likes the scene where Broderick dresses down his drill sergeant for how he’s treating his men. He compared it to Nick Saban letting Lane Kiffin have it on the sidelines. “Train them the right way. Treat them like they are somebody’s kids. Stress techniques and fundamentals.”

I couldn’t quite come up with the scene he described but I think it may be a combination of these two:
Glory 1989 Sgt. Major Mulcahy Drill instructor.

and

Proper Readiness.wmv

Coach Babers is very gifted in being able to answer questions but not really say anything.
I did think it was interesting that they mentioned the team was taking the bus for this game and the BC game. I don't remember in the past that they have taken the bus. Could it be so they can take more players?

A bus to MetLife? That's like a 3.5 hour ride, not sure about BC, but I imagine it's similar. Seems long to ride a bus

A bus to MetLife? That's like a 3.5 hour ride, not sure about BC, but I imagine it's similar. Seems long to ride a bus
it really isn't--takes me that time from bethlehem to su. the problem comes in when there is construction and accidents the it becomes a 4-5 hr trip. traffic in jersey as you probably know is a bear getting to the meadowlands area. hopefully they travel at non peak times

Coach Babers is very gifted in being able to answer questions but not really say anything.
I did think it was interesting that they mentioned the team was taking the bus for this game and the BC game. I don't remember in the past that they have taken the bus. Could it be so they can take more players?
I wonder if traveling by bus is a HCDB decision (some type of bonding activity) or a budgetary one?

BC is a solid 5-5 1/2 trip from Cuse. Back to the HS bus days.

I wonder if traveling by bus is a HCDB decision (some type of bonding activity) or a budgetary one?
Usually it is the Olympic Sports that are relegated to the bus rides.

BC is a solid 5-5 1/2 trip from Cuse. Back to the HS bus days.

well good thing they dont take the old fashioned yellow school busses.

I went on a field trip with my son's class and it was a 3.5 / 4 hour trip on one of those tour buses and they're pretty pimped out. didn't even really notice how long i was on the bus.

well good thing they dont take the old fashioned yellow school busses.

I went on a field trip with my son's class and it was a 3.5 / 4 hour trip on one of those tour buses and they're pretty pimped out. didn't even really notice how long i was on the bus.
This one?
7bf84b53c2476fa9e47cfd37639fef1d48e5586e

My initial thought was bonding activity, which I don't think is a bad idea at all in the first year of a new coaching staff. Plus it gives Dino some movie time.

I know the ACC money doesn't cover the entire athletic budget by any means, but I'd like to think we don't have to scrimp on travel for the football team.

by the time you leave campus, get to the airport get on the plane, fly down, get off, get back on another bus and get to the hotel. it may not be a huge difference in time.

that may be true flying commercial for regular smucks out of a busy airport like Newark, but by charter is a smaller regional airport like Hancock?? Serious question, have never flown charter

Pretty sure they always bus for the MetLife games. I remember passing the convoy up 81 after the USC game.

SWC, you couldn't have worded the Fredricks question any better. Too bad you couldn't get an answer (and too bad the reply was worded in such a discouraging way - tough for a productive player to be told to 'wait his turn' behind a peer and a rookie who both seem less capable).

UConn schedule:
Manley at 1:00p
Depart for airport at 1:45p
Leave Airport 3:00p
Arrive 4:00p
Arrive Hotel 4:45p

SWC, you couldn't have worded the Fredricks question any better. Too bad you couldn't get an answer (and too bad the reply was worded in such a discouraging way - tough for a productive player to be told to 'wait his turn' behind a peer and a rookie who both seem less capable).
#freefredericks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom