The Dino Babers Show- before Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show- before Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
New Home for AmeriCU Dino Babers Show

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to The Jim Bohannon Show on WGVA on TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter

Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s)

“Coach, we need to win two of our last three games to get to a bowl. There are 130 teams in FBS. The 65th ranked team in scoring scores 29 points a game. That means if you want to win, your goal should be to score 30+ points. We haven’t done that since the central Michigan game. We are the 61st ranked team in scoring, (also 29 per game) but the 28th ranked team in yards gained, (456). The 28th ranked team in scoring scores 35 points a game. We need to get the points the yards we gain should produce. How do we do that in these last three games? “

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Brian Higgins was in for Matt Park, who is hosting the Letterman of Distinction Dinner. They talked about how it was military appreciation day. Dino come from a Navy family so that’s especially big for him. He wasn’t the “same screaming crowd” we had at Clemson.

The injury report, (the real one) came out just as the show was starting and Eric Dungey is “questionable”. Coach said that he’s getting better every day. “He’ll go if he’s able to protect himself.” (When did he ever do that?). “We have our best football team when he’s behind center.”

Liam in Pompey again beat me with the first call. He said it was a tough loss. He figures the last three games will be pretty close. How are we preparing for Wake Forest? Coach had just finished watching the Wake-ND game for the fourth time. “Their quarterback doesn’t turn the ball over. He puts it on the money. They lost their leading receiver but other guys made plays. Their new defensive coordinator has a stout front 7. He uses zone coverage with some man-to-man on the backside.

I called in and before I got my question I asked if Dino’s films confirmed that Cole Murphy’s missed FG at the end was partially blocked. “We looked at it 40 times and we just couldn’t tell.” I told the coach I hoped it was because I sure didn’t expect Cole’s kick to be that far off.

I then asked me question. DB: “If we’d scored 30 a game, (in these last 6 games), this would be a different season. Fortunately, the defense has been holding the other team under 30. The other team’s defense tightens up in the red zone and the throwing areas get narrower. We’ve got to run the football better.” I asked him about getting more out of defense and special teams to help out the offense. DB: “We are working feverishly on drills trying to rip the ball away from guys. We’ve played 4 teams in a row, (he probably meant 6), that have athletes that god made faster than us. We can’t afford to let them get behind us. The last 3 teams are not as athletic and we will be able to get more aggressive.“

He said that he wants to create more turnovers. Higgins said that we are now #1 in the country in stopping the other team on third down. (That’s a turnover of sorts.) Dino: Out defensive line and linebackers are better and our backfield has hung in there through injuries. The receivers will be coming back to us in terms of speed and talent in these next games.”

Mark at Shaugnessy’s wanted to know what Coach Babers tells Sean Riley about catching punts. . DB: “We want him to catch, more punts, save that hidden yardage”, (it’s not so hard to find). “We want him to get a clean bounce. The big thing is when the play is over, we want our offense on the field. It’s like driving a race car. If you ride the brakes, you’ll burn out the clutch.” (?)

John in Syracuse asked about protecting Eric Dungey – why are we running him between the tackles? DB: “Well, you might remember when it was 3rd and 8 against Clemson and he ran for 8 yards and a couple of inches. We design runs so that first contact will be made by defensive backs, not linebackers or those big uglies who want to tear your head off. When he was injured last year at Clemson, they missed a handoff and he followed the back into the lien and got hit by a linebacker.”

They had a trivia question- what hurricane was raging while we played Wake Forest last year. Coach called it “Hurricane Ditka, because that’s what it seemed like.”

Tom in Syracuse had a bucket load of advice for the coach. He wants the team to be more unpredictable. We should use #6, (Ravian Pierce) more. We need to give different looks to the defense. We should sue more mis-direction and not just run straight up the middle. He also wants us to run up the line of scrimmage and quickly run the dives if we are going to run them to catch the defense off guard. Babers went on the defensive: “I don’t think we’re very predictable. We do a lot of misdirection – Jet sweeps, fly sweeps, counter treys”. (We run counter treys?). About running to the line and snapping the ball immediately to catch the defense off guard: “We do that a lot to tire out the defense and to prevent their ‘twists’ “. As the #6: “it depends on their defensive structure and the athlete defending hi. The player they have defending him at Florida State was Derwin James, who might go #1 in the NFL drafts. We tried to go to Ravian three times but he couldn’t get open.” So there….

Phil from Clay called to explain that we’d spent years watching rushes right up the middle and that was why Tom thought all of our runs were up the middle –that’s all we can see. “ Dino: “Now I understand”. Phil thought we’d gotten the short end of the stick from the refs. He cited an uncalled face mask penalty and the SU defender who got tackled an Acker’s first long run. Dino said he’d get fired if he tlaks about the officiating “But let me say this: you’re not wrong. You have a good eye. You can go to bed knowing you did a very good job on the radio and you will go through the pearly gates when you die. Don’t forget about 4th and 2 when we were not offsides….But I’m not allowed to talk about it.”

John in Baltimore followed up on that by asking about the procedure for complaining about bad calls. Dino said he has his OC and DC submit 20 clips to him of calls they disagree with. “I don’t want to make them think that we are crybabies so I narrow it down to about 6 and send it in to a man whose name I won’t mention. I’m not allowed to say what his response was but in the FSU game we were more right than wrong. It was more than 2 or 3 or 4 times. Knowledge is power.”

Kevin Q. asked Babers if he missed Hawaii, where he was born and went to school. Coach said that if you go to Hawaii, you want to spend more than 3-4 days there and he hasn’t had the time a trip would warrant since he became a head coach. He was las tin his home state in 2011 or 2012. He reminisced about his surfing days. “In December January and February you get the 20 foot breakers and you have to change your board or it will get snapped in half. I remember sitting on a beach with friends and watching the waves come in. There were 4 boulders at one spot. A wave crashed upon then and when it receded, there three boulders and lot of small rocks.”

Jim Boeheim showed up early for his show, demanding overtime pay. Coach Babers said what an honor it was to be coaching at the same school with Jim, calling him “a walking encyclopedia”. He said going to JB’s office was like going to the Principal’s office. JB: “I’m just old that’s all.” Dino is just learning to play golf and has a friend who always beats him. In one game over the summer, he was behind by 3-4 strokes when Jim joined them at the turn. Dino’s friend was so intimidated to be playing golf with Jim that he fell apart and Dino finally beat him. He called it “The Boeheim effect”.”

Jim said he’s been to every game since 1962, (I assume he means the home games). “I was there for the Nebraska game. I was there when Floyd Little, who I knew well, scored those 5 TDs against Gayle Sayer’s Kansas team. I saw them play UCLA when our defensive ends were John Mackey and Walt Sweeney, to of the best ever. I saw then beat Roger Staubach.”

Dino was in awe of some of the named he’d only heard about that Jim saw play. He said “There are some guys today that couldn’t have played back then.”

JB: “I love football but my high school coach wouldn’t let me play it. I was 6-4, 150. It was the best decision he ever made. Back in my day we had a quarterback named Wally Mahle who ran just like Eric Dungey does and got beat up just like Eric Dungey. But he had an excuse: he couldn’t pass. Of course he was in the same backfield with Larry Csonka, Floyd Little and the other guy was Tom Coughlin. I knew Csonka. He was crazy. he almost set fire to an elevator once.”

JB: “We have a more dynamic offense than we’ve had in years. At Syracuse, you’ve got to have something a little different. In basketball 1-2 or two players can make all the difference but in football it takes 4-5 years to build up the depth you need….Clemson was not a normal upset. Virginia Tech had a pretty good team last year but Alabama and Clemson have been the two best teams in the country all year and I think they still are. It’s a tough league.”

With that the Dino Babers Show ended and the Jim Boeheim Show began, (see the basketball board for that: it’s interesting that my written notes for the Babers show went 4 pages: the Boeheim show it went 6 pages. I’ll try to get it done tonight.)

Last edited:
its crazy that we have had several offsides and 12 men on the field calls missed when those are the simple things to see.

its crazy that we have had several offsides and 12 men on the field calls missed when those are the simple things to see.

Simple explanation: ref too busy counting bribe money and wasn’t looking

I would have loved to see the video down the line of scrimmage on that last FG attempt by us against FSU. That guy looked very close to jumping offsides.

I had video once of a NFL play Freeney was called offsides on.. when you slowed it down you see ball move, Freeney move, then a pause and everyone else moves.. but the 2-3 times this year in key spots they have blown offside calls has been really bad.

side note. freeney is playing really well this year for the seahawks. dude is a disrupter.

Two things:

1. Thought the ref discussion was very interesting. Don't that it really ends up meaning anything, but it probably feels good to know you are right and they are wrong.
2. Liam in Pompey is on some kind of winning streak right now.

SWC do you find yourself getting angry that Liam in Pompey beats you every week? Come ON!!!! Beat him next week!!! Pop the gate, get out in front

SWC do you find yourself getting angry that Liam in Pompey beats you every week? Come ON!!!! Beat him next week!!! Pop the gate, get out in front

To be honest, it's getting embarrassing. I'd probably stop admitting it, I mean, no one here is listening, we wouldn't know. That's why we all wait for this thread each week.

it's mildly irritating as he doesn't seem to have any real question to ask. "How are preparations going?" But I'm more amused by it than irritated. I used to call during the first break. Then to compete with Liam I began calling during the opening. I am now calling the moment the show gets on the air, so Liam is apparently calling before that. I guess i'll jsut let him have the rail if it's so important to him.

I had video once of a NFL play Freeney was called offsides on.. when you slowed it down you see ball move, Freeney move, then a pause and everyone else moves.. but the 2-3 times this year in key spots they have blown offside calls has been really bad.

Maybe Freeney is like Armin Hary:

it's mildly irritating as he doesn't seem to have any real question to ask. "How are preparations going?" But I'm more amused by it than irritated. I used to call during the first break. Then to compete with Liam I began calling during the opening. I am now calling the moment the show gets on the air, so Liam is apparently calling before that. I guess i'll jsut let him have the rail if it's so important to him.
Have you considered the possibility there really is no Liam? Perhaps Liam is just their way of starting the show with a question they want to start with?

Fight the good fight man. Don't give up don't ever give up.

Have you considered the possibility there really is no Liam? Perhaps Liam is just their way of starting the show with a question they want to start with?

Maybe he's a figment of my imagination! :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom