The Downside- Florida State | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Florida State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- You don’t bring field goals to a touchdown fight and that’s what we did in the first half, settling for two field goals while the Noles were building up a lead scoring touchdowns.

- It was another game where we competed well in terms of yardage but didn’t take advantage of our opportunities. We now have 10 touchdowns in 24 trips to the red zone this year, 1 in 4 trips this game. And that doesn’t count the interception thrown by AJ Long from the Florida State 21 after the muffed punt. If we’d taken advantage of our opportunities, this could have been a very different game. Or season.

- We wanted to get out of this with no more injuries. Nope. Austin Wilson was helped off the field and to the locker room. He’s probably got a concussion, so we are down to AJ Long and Mitch Kimble and probably Riley Dixon as the emergency QB. John Miller, our center left after a 4th quarter injury. I didn’t see Ben Lewis after he went down hard on the sidelines. Micah Robinson and Durrell Eskridge were also helped off the field but returned. Ashton Broyld was supposed to be “probable” but I never saw him. I’m glad they allow 85 scholarships. We may need them.

- We played “keep them in front of us football, just as we did with Everett Golson of Notre Dame. Golson was 32 of 39 for 362 yards and 4 TDs. Winston was 30 of 36 for 317 yards and 3 TDs. On the plus side we gave up only one bomb in those two games against high-powered teams. But do we really have to all the opposition to complete 83% of their passes?

- Matt Park and Chris Gedney said during the game that 25% of Adonis Ameen-Moore’s carries this year have resulted in no gain or a loss. He’s actually averaging 6.0 yards per carry on the year but he’s still a more limited runner than Morris and McFarlane who have good size, better speed and some actual moves. Why is Moore the #2 guy at running back on the depth chart?

- Tim Lester did a better job calling plays than George MacDonald but I have no idea what he had in mind in our last possession of the first half when we ran the ball with Moore three starting times on first and goal from the ten, then tried for it on fourth down with an “it’s there or it isn’t there” fade route, which wasn’t there. A score there sure would have helped.

- That wasn’t last year’s Florida State team we played. This is one of the best teams in the country but last year’s team was one of the best of all time. They don’t quite have that spark or that killer instinct that made them so great last year. Syracuse had one of the best teams ever in 1959, outscoring 11 opponents 423-73 with only two close games. The next year they came back with most of the same players and the spark just wasn’t there. They went 7-2 and outscored mostly the same opponents 203-74. They were so disgusted with that performance they voted not to go to a bowl game that year. There will be no such vote from Florida State but they are having the same type of season. They out-scored 14 opponents 723-170. This year they have out-score 6 opponents by only 234-124.They are #1 for the moment but they will get dinged a time or two this year. They might not even make the 4 team playoff. Competing well with them is good but not as remarkable as competing with last year’s team would have been.

- To paraphrase Gertrude Stein, A loss is loss is a loss is a loss. We have four of them in a row now and we’ll be blade running to get to a bowl game from here on in.

- I listened to New York Philharmonic trombonist Joe Alessi’s remarkable halftime performance and turn to a guy near me and said “I didn’t know you could do those things with a trombone. Without looking up from his newspaper, he said “Yeah, If you like fart sounds!” Here’s Joe:

But it would have been a lot closer if we took care of business in the red zone in the first half.

Broyld was listed as doubtful for the game on official injury report

"You don’t bring field goals to a touchdown fight..."
This is priceless! I am going to steal it later this year!

"You don’t bring field goals to a touchdown fight..."
This is priceless! I am going to steal it later this year!

You mean you expect another game like this? :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom