The Downside- Maryland | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Maryland

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The anthem singers keep asking if Oshae can see. It’s a good question. He was 5 for 18 tonight, including 0 for 5 from three point range and 3 missed free throws. He’s shooting 32% from the field for the season, 25% from three point range and 65.5% from the free throw line. Imagine the player he could be if he could see the basket.

- From about 8 minutes into the game, Tyus Battle was feeling his back when there was lull in the action and when out of the game, he stood rather than sit, apparently because that caused less pain or kept his back loose. It’s still November.

- Matthew Moyer started but played only 9 minutes and accumulated 2 stats: he missed a shot and he committed a foul.

- Geno Thorpe played 4 minutes and his stats were a missed shot and two bad turnovers which were back-to-back when JB first gave Battle a rest but had to send him back in because Thorpe was stinking the joint up so badly.

- We are a good defensive teams but gave up to many open threes, (some of them, at least, we from way out). It wasn’t because we “just circled the wagons and hoped they missed”. Maryland did a good job of getting the ball into the high post, the real key to attacking a zone), and we collapsed in to deal with that guy, who used his positon to feed the ball back out for open threes. We need to make the high post man prove he could hurt us from there before we abandoned the outside against a good shooting team.

- Maryland has a reputation from turning the ball over and they did so 18 times in this game, including the one and only time we used the press. It would have been interesting to see what havoc we could have wrought had we used the press more often, as we seemed poised to do in the first few games. .

- In listening to 41 years of post-game interviews and press conferences I have never heard Jim Boeheim express regret that he wasn’t able to recruit a player on the other team until tonight. He may have felt that way sometimes but he never felt moved to say it until now. Kevin Huerter is from Shenendehowa High School in the Albany area and he’s exactly what we lack this year: a dead-eye shooter. (Last year all we had was shooters and we didn’t have much else, now it’s the one thing we lack). Huerter was 7 for 9 from the behind the arc tonight, (sometimes way behind) and his 85 footer at the buzzer looked scary most of the way. Meanwhile SU’s anvil chorus went 3 for 18. If Huerter had come here, as he wanted to do, tonight’s game would have been a blow-out win for SU. But the NCAA sanctions hit when JB was recruiting him and we suddenly didn’t have a scholarship for him and JB is pissed about it.

- The anthem singers keep asking if Oshae can see. It’s a good question. He was 5 for 18 tonight, including 0 for 5 from three point range and 3 missed free throws. He’s shooting 32% from the field for the season, 25% from three point range and 65.5% from the free throw line. Imagine the player he could be if he could see the basket.

- From about 8 minutes into the game, Tyus Battle was feeling his back when there was lull in the action and when out of the game, he stood rather than sit, apparently because that caused less pain or kept his back loose. It’s still November.

- Matthew Moyer started but played only 9 minutes and accumulated 2 stats: he missed a shot and he committed a foul.

- Geno Thorpe played 4 minutes and his stats were a missed shot and two bad turnovers which were back-to-back when JB first gave Battle a rest but had to send him back in because Thorpe was stinking the joint up so badly.

- We are a good defensive teams but gave up to many open threes, (some of them, at least, we from way out). It wasn’t because we “just circled the wagons and hoped they missed”. Maryland did a good job of getting the ball into the high post, the real key to attacking a zone), and we collapsed in to deal with that guy, who used his positon to feed the ball back out for open threes. We need to make the high post man prove he could hurt us from there before we abandoned the outside against a good shooting team.

- Maryland has a reputation from turning the ball over and they did so 18 times in this game, including the one and only time we used the press. It would have been interesting to see what havoc we could have wrought had we used the press more often, as we seemed poised to do in the first few games. .

- In listening to 41 years of post-game interviews and press conferences I have never heard Jim Boeheim express regret that he wasn’t able to recruit a player on the other team until tonight. He may have felt that way sometimes but he never felt moved to say it until now. Kevin Huerter is from Shenendehowa High School in the Albany area and he’s exactly what we lack this year: a dead-eye shooter. (Last year all we had was shooters and we didn’t have much else, now it’s the one thing we lack). Huerter was 7 for 9 from the behind the arc tonight, (sometimes way behind) and his 85 footer at the buzzer looked scary most of the way. Meanwhile SU’s anvil chorus went 3 for 18. If Huerter had come here, as he wanted to do, tonight’s game would have been a blow-out win for SU. But the NCAA sanctions hit when JB was recruiting him and we suddenly didn’t have a scholarship for him and JB is pissed about it.

The anthem singers keep asking if Oshae can see. It’s a good question

That's a great line!

Boeheim usually says what's expedient at the moment for him; factual, but only the part that makes his case. Huerter's defense allowed S.U. players to drive in practically at will. Even Oshae looked like a point guard at times - except for that confused play toward the end.

Would still love to have Kevin here, though. And Boeheim would be drilling him on tightening up that defense in practice.

Last edited:

Good post...

I think your point about the d is interesting. I actually thought that the half court D was okay, but rarely have I seen a team execute against it so well. When we did try to take away the logo the Maryland player would pass it to someone cutting to the hoop at he baseline or from the top of the key or the winnings for a 3... if we sagged off that guy he would drive for a hoop. We also had trouble keeping their point from driving to the logo which really unlocked our D. I was really impressed and shocked by how well they executed.

Our transition D however needs a lot of work , if we play like that agaisnt Kansas it’s going to be lights out. We are very unbalanced on transition D because our guys love to crash the offensive boards. Need to fix that for the weekend.

Good post...

I think your point about the d is interesting. I actually thought that the half court D was okay, but rarely have I seen a team execute against it so well. When we did try to take away the logo the Maryland player would pass it to someone cutting to the hoop at he baseline or from the top of the key or the winnings for a 3... if we sagged off that guy he would drive for a hoop. We also had trouble keeping their point from driving to the logo which really unlocked our D. I was really impressed and shocked by how well they executed.

Our transition D however needs a lot of work , if we play like that agaisnt Kansas it’s going to be lights out. We are very unbalanced on transition D because our guys love to crash the offensive boards. Need to fix that for the weekend.

Our D wasn't great, but I honestly think a lot of it was the fact that Battle was injured. He let guys go right by him a ton of times tonight, and he wasn't cutting off the entry pass into the high post like he normally does.

I was surprised they didn't play Huerter at the high post more. He missed one shot from there but he has the skill set to be lethal from there. I saw him play in high school a lot and I think he's just scratching the surface. Needs to improve on D but when it's said and done he is going to go down as one of the biggies that got away. He can flat shoot and has better handle and BB instincts from what he has shown thus far at MD.

Good post...

Good post. We're still asleep after made baskets and our guards and wings aren't always quick about rotating back on shot attempts. Kansas is going to take advantage with a ton of run-outs if that doesn't change this week.

To SWC's post, this doesn't exactly fit the Downside, but Thorpe was at least active on defense, got a pair of deflections in his brief run. I know everyone's expecting a lot more, but I thought he was more than a net negative during his time on the court.

I was surprised they didn't play Huerter at the high post more. He missed one shot from there but he has the skill set to be lethal from there. I saw him play in high school a lot and I think he's just scratching the surface. Needs to improve on D but when it's said and done he is going to go down as one of the biggies that got away. He can flat shoot and has better handle and BB instincts from what he has shown thus far at MD.
They needed him behind the three-point line.

They needed him behind the three-point line.

Many times when he got his shot off he was purposely trailing the play and our defender was down court waiting for him. Huerter just let it go before meeting his defender in the spot the defender chose to stop. Reminded me somewhat of Lydon when he'd trail a play then just square up and take the 3. (Huerter's the better shooter)

downside. i get the sense already the rotation is down to 6. chukwu/sidibe splitting time at center and 4 dudes playing 40.

downside. i get the sense already the rotation is down to 6. chukwu/sidibe splitting time at center and 4 dudes playing 40.

Looks like it right now but I'm not about to count Thorpe out. I believe he will get it going. He didn't transfer here to sit. He seems like a very competitive young man who I expect will do what he needs to in order to be part of the rotation.

Looks like it right now but I'm not about to count Thorpe out. I believe he will get it going. He didn't transfer here to sit. He seems like a very competitive young man who I expect will do what he needs to in order to be part of the rotation.

I hope Geno improves and gets the confidence of JB for more than short cameos. But JB is likely to ride his top two guards in every close game -- because Howard & Battle are that important to the outcome. His preferred line-up is those two plus the 3 freshmen (based on last night), and Chukwu is the other necessary component.

Many times when he got his shot off he was purposely trailing the play and our defender was down court waiting for him. Huerter just let it go before meeting his defender in the spot the defender chose to stop. Reminded me somewhat of Lydon when he'd trail a play then just square up and take the 3. (Huerter's the better shooter)

Great, great, great observation. So easy to distract the defense (pass into the post or the corner) and get the trailing man an easy bucket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom