The Downside- Texas Southern | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Texas Southern

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The easy part of the schedule is over. We won’t play a team that we can beat just on talent the rest of the year. We’ve got to out-play teams to win from here on in.

- I’m sorry to those who might think me too “”negative” but this team just doesn’t pass the ‘look’ test to me, at least not as any sort of ACC contender. We’re still too reliant on the three. We’re not a good rebounding team. But the worst thing is what Mike Hopkins keeps talking about: the defense. Neither Coleman nor Obokoh really know how to play it. Lydon can block shots but he’s going to get shoved around inside in the ACC. The biggest problem though, is on the perimeter. I was looking forward to seeing a team where everyone is at least 6-3. I thought with all that length we’d create an impressive barrier on the outside. But we are like a fighter with a long reach but no jab, which doesn’t allow him to use his natural advantages. Our guys don’t move their feet well enough to stop penetration or keep up with the shooters. When ACC scouts look at this team, I doubt they see anything that scares them.

- Because of the above Jerron Martin, a player who had been 4 for 17 from three point range coming in, was 6 for 10 and kept Texas Southern in the game.

- We out-rebounded an inferior team by only 33-30.

- Actually, Texas Southern probably isn’t as bad as their 1-10 record: they have yet to play a road game as they gather in guarantee money to pay the bills before their conference season begins. But Clemson, the “breather” game after we face Miami and Pittsburgh, beat them by 20. New Mexico beat them by 29. Creighton beat them by 23. We beat them by 13.

- Our great strength is supposed to be three point shooting. The last four games we are 5 for 26, 7 for 21, 7 for 25 and now 7 for 26. That totals 26 for 98 (26.5%) We’re hitting 35.4% as a team, not bad for us. That would put us at 127th in the country, (the NCAA’s ranking doesn’t include this game). We are less a team that shots the three extremely well than a team that shoots it a lot.

- If only we had a player like Derrick Friffin!

I keep looking at the individual players and thinking: "Now there's a good basketball player." But they don't seem to play well as a team. I thought it had "clicked" in Atlantis, and it had, but then the clicking mechanism got stuck in "Off." Does anyone have a tool kit?

- The easy part of the schedule is over. We won’t play a team that we can beat just on talent the rest of the year. We’ve got to out-play teams to win from here on in.

- I’m sorry to those who might think me too “”negative” but this team just doesn’t pass the ‘look’ test to me, at least not as any sort of ACC contender. We’re still too reliant on the three. We’re not a good rebounding team. But the worst thing is what Mike Hopkins keeps talking about: the defense. Neither Coleman nor Obokoh really know how to play it. Lydon can block shots but he’s going to get shoved around inside in the ACC. The biggest problem though, is on the perimeter. I was looking forward to seeing a team where everyone is at least 6-3. I thought with all that length we’d create an impressive barrier on the outside. But we are like a fighter with a long reach but no jab, which doesn’t allow him to use his natural advantages. Our guys don’t move their feet well enough to stop penetration or keep up with the shooters. When ACC scouts look at this team, I doubt they see anything that scares them.

- Because of the above Jerron Martin, a player who had been 4 for 17 from three point range coming in, was 6 for 10 and kept Texas Southern in the game.

- Actually, Texas Southern probably isn’t as bad as their 1-10 record: they have yet to play a road game as they gather in guarantee money to pay the bills before their conference season begins. But Clemson, the “breather” game after we face Miami and Pittsburgh, beat them by 20. New Mexico beat them by 29. Creighton beat them by 23. We beat them by 13.

- Our great strength is supposed to be three point shooting. The last four games we are 5 for 26, 7 for 21, 7 for 25 and now 7 for 26. That totals 26 for 98 (26.5%) We’re hitting 35.4% as a team, not bad for us. That would put us at 127th in the country, (the NCAA’s ranking doesn’t include this game). We are less a team that shots the three extremely well than a team that shoots it a lot.

If you take out Malachi's miserable percentage we are near 39% as a team from three. Hopefully the other guys stay where they're at now and he can improve.

BLAME THE STUPID ZONE DEFENSE!!!

I bet each one of the teams you mentioned play M2M. The ball moves faster than the feet. When you are more talented than the other team, but you play a system that puts your players in a defensive position rather than offensive, then you are at the mercy of the other team; and you find yourself always reacting rather than forcing the issue. If you can get our beloved coach to mix it up every now and then, maybe this team can compete against the best teams. Other than that its going to be a very painful and wasteful season. #IHATETHEZONEDEFENSE

We do not have one exactly, buy we have 2 that may be able to some of the things he does with the lob pass, but our beloved coach HATES the lob pass. So even if we have the aforementioned player he will not get to do those things because the coach will not allow it.

BLAME THE STUPID ZONE DEFENSE!!!

I bet each one of the teams you mentioned play M2M. The ball moves faster than the feet. When you are more talented than the other team, but you play a system that puts your players in a defensive position rather than offensive, then you are at the mercy of the other team; and you find yourself always reacting rather than forcing the issue. If you can get our beloved coach to mix it up every now and then, maybe this team can compete against the best teams. Other than that its going to be a very painful and wasteful season. #IHATETHEZONEDEFENSE

We do not have one exactly, buy we have 2 that may be able to some of the things he does with the lob pass, but our beloved coach HATES the lob pass. So even if we have the aforementioned player he will not get to do those things because the coach will not allow it.

Miami plays zone.

Miami plays zone.
They also have a very active shot-blocking center in Tonye Zekeri and they do not play below the arc and leave 3 point shooters open. I still blame the system because I know we have 2 really good defensive players on top of the zone. If turned loose can put pressure on less talented guards we have faced thus far.

SU_Fan_in_VA said:
BLAME THE STUPID ZONE DEFENSE!!! I bet each one of the teams you mentioned play M2M. The ball moves faster than the feet. When you are more talented than the other team, but you play a system that puts your players in a defensive position rather than offensive, then you are at the mercy of the other team; and you find yourself always reacting rather than forcing the issue. If you can get our beloved coach to mix it up every now and then, maybe this team can compete against the best teams. Other than that its going to be a very painful and wasteful season. #IHATETHEZONEDEFENSE We do not have one exactly, buy we have 2 that may be able to some of the things he does with the lob pass, but our beloved coach HATES the lob pass. So even if we have the aforementioned player he will not get to do those things because the coach will not allow it.

Our coach hates the lob pass? We tried a few yesterday and when we had the right players, that used to be our bread and butter.

These arguments about system are such an waste of time. JB's "system" works fine as evidenced by his winning percentage and accomplishments. We have won with the zone...when we have the talented players to play it well. This year's team is a little bit short on talent. That isn't going to be changed by changing the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom