The Downside- UNC | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- UNC

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It was a valiant effort but it was a fourth straight loss and our seventh of the season. We need to go 7-7 the rest of the regular season to ensure that 46th straight winning season and avoid the first school year since 1947-48 in which both the football and basketball teams had losing records. And, barring a run in the ACC tournament, we’ll have to do a lot better than that even to climb onto the NCAA bubble.

- While we continue to originate everything from the perimeter, the Tar Heels went high-low, high-low all evening. It was a song of woe for Syracuse:
- Four ACC games. Points in the paint: 28-34, 16-30, 18-40, 26-46.

- Our three point percentages after the Colgate game, when we were 14 of 30 (.467): .192, .333, .280, .308, .333, .318, .382, .290. that’s one game in eight where we shot the ball well from the arc, a big part of this team’s offense. Again, it’s some we do a lot more than something we do well.

- When teams decide to take Michael Gbinije out of the game, as Miami did (3 for 14 with 8 turnovers) and UNC did tonight (3 for 13 with 3 turnovers). I kept thinking: “Gbinije hasn’t started scoring yet and we are even with them. When he stars scoring, well pull away.” He didn’t score a field goal until there was 3:31 left in the game and got 6 of his 10 points in the final 1:50 by which time the Heels had pulled away from us.

- Tyler Lydon in ACC games has played 121 minutes and gotten 17 shots off, one every 7 minutes. 65% of those shots have been three pointers. He’s 6-9. Some of it is a freshman trying to play at a level of competition he’s never played at before. Some of it is a resulting decline in confidence. But a lot of it is that we’re just not putting him in circumstances that give him a chance to excel.

- Steals and turnovers are supposed to be our bag. We had 5 steals and forced 9 turnovers: they had 8 and 13.

- We’ve proven that even in a down year, we can compete with top ACC teams. But we keep coming up short. Our last quarters: 13-28; 17-25; 17-11, (but 12-13 in overtime after we blew it at the end of regulation and tonight it was 22-34. The Pitt, Miami and UNC games 48-44, 34-39 and 51-50 after three quarters, against three of the best teams in the conference.

- “If we play this well in the rest of our games, we’ll win a lot of them!” But how do we maintain this level of effort? This game was played under special circumstances that won’t be duplicated the rest of the year.

we can all cry about silent (g) only scoring 10 points but that factor alone is more than balanced out by NC's marcus paige only scoring 3 . paige averages better than 15 a game for 3 years and had 30 on monday. so say (G) puts up his usual numbers and marcus does the same...we still lose.

we can all cry about silent (g) only scoring 10 points but that factor alone is more than balanced out by NC's marcus paige only scoring 3 . paige averages better than 15 a game for 3 years and had 30 on monday. so say (G) puts up his usual numbers and marcus does the same...we still lose.

Maybe, maybe not. I think we had a harder time finding offense to replace G's absence than UNC did replacing Paige's. They were basically able to throw the ball inside at will and score...things didn't come as easy for us.

- Steals and turnovers are supposed to be our bag. We had 5 steals and forced 9 turnovers: they had 8 and 13.

Given my recent health issues I'm trying to look in anything positive. So the way I see it, with the UNC loss at least most of are not Bengal fans at the same time. Yesterday would have been much worse if you were a Bengal fan!

Given my recent health issues I'm trying to look in anything positive. So the way I see it, with the UNC loss at least most of are not Bengal fans at the same time. Yesterday would have been much worse if you were a Bengal fan!
Hang in there. Hope things turn around for you soon.

Not to be picky but going 7-7 the rest of the way gets them to 17-14. Going 6-8 gets them to 16-15, which is still a winning season. Even if there is a lose in the 1st round of the ACC tourney, the record is 16-16. Or am I missing something?

Not to be picky but going 7-7 the rest of the way gets them to 17-14. Going 6-8 gets them to 16-15, which is still a winning season. Even if there is a lose in the 1st round of the ACC tourney, the record is 16-16. Or am I missing something?

At 16-16 we avoid having losing seasons in both sports but we don't continue the streak of winning seasons, which is my priority. I should have made that clearer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom