The Fallacy of losing points. | Syracusefan.com

The Fallacy of losing points.

kcsu

Living Legend
There is an argument posted about playing Buddy and others namely Joe because if they dont play we be losing points.
What any coach needs to look at is Net points. Offense - Defense= Net.
I agree that Buddy and Joe are much better shooters than Goodine. Im not sure if in Buddys case especially when he is missing shots and or shut down that we are ahead in net points.
Goodine plays much better D and is twice as athletic. He can create off the dribble.
Should he start. No. Should he play much more yes.

If SU had a better front line, I might agree with you. But with Sidibe/Dolejaz/Guerier upfront with limited offensive capability sitting down the frequently most potent part of our offense is suspect as a strategy.

It obviously didn’t hurt us last night.

If SU had a better front line, I might agree with you. But with Sidibe/Dolejaz/Guerier upfront with limited offensive capability sitting down the frequently most potent part of our offense is suspect as a strategy.

It obviously didn’t hurt us last night.

Both Dolezaj and Guerrier have not been limited the second half of the season. Marek can create his own offense. His foul issues have been partly to blame of the guard play at the top of the zone.

Also you have to factor in the ability of the primary ball handlers to get the ball to the front court where they can be effective. Goodine showed more from this side of his game than anything. Buddy's passing has not been good while Joe's has been ok. Right now Joe is more valuable in this argument than Buddy given Buddy isn't a primary ball handler.

I am not saying that Buddy or Joe should sit 20 minutes. But if you are looking at the whole picture it is more than just scoring, it is also facilitating. It also depends on the matchup they are facing.

Goodine looked like he belonged in his minutes for maybe just the second or third time this year. That deserves more chances. If it continues then it only makes us a more dynamic team on both ends.

There is an argument posted about playing Buddy and others namely Joe because if they dont play we be losing points.
I agree that Buddy and Joe are much better shooters than Goodine. Im not sure if in Buddys case especially when he is missing shots and or shut down that we are ahead in net points.
Goodine plays much better D and is twice as athletic. He can create off the dribble.
I think what JAB should do is see who is "on" and who is not. If Buddy is in prime form, play him anywhere from 34-38 minutes (or more). If he's not, like last night even before the ankle injury, then see what Goodine can provide that night (he too might be "off").

What's great is that Goodine is becoming an option for real minutes, and we were not able to say that in January. That's player development and a credit to both the player and the coaching staff. Nice work.

A coach is mostly concerned with the points on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

I thought Goodine was really really active up top. He recovered well and covered more ground. He was also active when guys drove -- forced a steal from behind at one point etc. I think it more speaks to what we do next year -- and buddy being a 3 but who knows. will see what happens.

Goodine did have an adequate game against what is arguably the worst team in the ACC. I think that Pitt wasn't prepared for Buddy to go out and how to play Goodine. Buddy has been the primary focus of our opponents defense for a number of games, and Capel had no clue how to adjust when Buddy went out.

I think there is some merit in this, goodine played well and SU didn’t lose much when BB went out. BB has been on a difficult stretch.

i think what you dont say here(maybe I misinterpreted) is that when BB is in the game he has to be defended for the 3 and for his limited driving ability. Goodine does not require that level of attention from other teams, yet. I do think and would like to see him get more time though.

Goodine did have an adequate game against what is arguably the worst team in the ACC. I think that Pitt wasn't prepared for Buddy to go out and how to play Goodine. Buddy has been the primary focus of our opponents defense for a number of games, and Capel had no clue how to adjust when Buddy went out.
I'm not sure on that - Goodine was fine - I think Capel just couldn't find anyone to handle Hughes off the dribble when he was initiating the offense. Led to JG getting some clean looks, and he made them. Cuse was getting good looks from 3 all night and just missing them - badly. Goodine played well and did his job.

In an ideal world this is a good thought. Figure out if Buddy has it on a given night and if not, put Goodine in there instead. The problem is that it isn’t possible to do that effectively without hindsight. Shooters are streaky. There’s been a few games this year where Buddy has 20 points in one half and 2 in the other half. In hindsight we should have only played him in the good halves and Goodine in the other ones but of course there is no way to know when a shooter will go from missing 4 in a row to making 4 in a row.

Boeheim has always been like a baseball manager. In baseball, you don’t bench your .358 hitter if he goes 0-4 two games in a row. If you could predict he was going to be 0-4 tomorrow and instead you could put in your .225 batting replacement who is a better fielder and goes 1-4, then you’d win every World Series from here on out.

Both Dolezaj and Guerrier have not been limited the second half of the season. Marek can create his own offense. His foul issues have been partly to blame of the guard play at the top of the zone.

Also you have to factor in the ability of the primary ball handlers to get the ball to the front court where they can be effective. Goodine showed more from this side of his game than anything. Buddy's passing has not been good while Joe's has been ok. Right now Joe is more valuable in this argument than Buddy given Buddy isn't a primary ball handler.

I am not saying that Buddy or Joe should sit 20 minutes. But if you are looking at the whole picture it is more than just scoring, it is also facilitating. It also depends on the matchup they are facing.

Goodine looked like he belonged in his minutes for maybe just the second or third time this year. That deserves more chances. If it continues then it only makes us a more dynamic team on both ends.
I saw a foul last night where Dolezaj just straight pushed the guy on a rebound for a foul. Those are because of guards. He needs to stop yhat

I’d be interested to see a line up of

Goodine
Girard
Buddy
Hughes
Marek

offensively they would be tough to stop. Defensively though I wonder if buddy is athletic enough to play the back line.

Goodine
Girard
Buddy
Hughes
Marek

offensively they would be tough to stop. Defensively though I wonder if buddy is athletic enough to play the back line.

Buddy played the back line when we beat Wake and some against Louisville. I don't see where you think Goodine would be PG over Girard if that's what you mean though.

30/30/20, with some Wash thrown in would be ideal

website i looked at today has syracuse field goal attempts per season since 1992. tyus battle is on top of the list with 586 shot attempts in 2018 .that was during 37 games. both elijah and buddy are already in the top 20 after just 28 games. elijah with 399 is 14th and buddy with 380 is 19th. where will they land ?

(coondog is tenth at 431.)

Last edited:
People need to stop complaining, it's been proven over and over again, by Cooney, etc...if you do not provide proper spacing, no points will be scored, or at least the question "but who will score" becomes paramount and since no decision can be made on who can score, the effort should not be made! Ball movement, player movement, cannot adequately address such concerns. Spacing is always the answer to points!

In an ideal world this is a good thought. Figure out if Buddy has it on a given night and if not, put Goodine in there instead. The problem is that it isn’t possible to do that effectively without hindsight. Shooters are streaky. There’s been a few games this year where Buddy has 20 points in one half and 2 in the other half. In hindsight we should have only played him in the good halves and Goodine in the other ones but of course there is no way to know when a shooter will go from missing 4 in a row to making 4 in a row.

Boeheim has always been like a baseball manager. In baseball, you don’t bench your .358 hitter if he goes 0-4 two games in a row. If you could predict he was going to be 0-4 tomorrow and instead you could put in your .225 batting replacement who is a better fielder and goes 1-4, then you’d win every World Series from here on out.

What if your .358 hitter bats .418 against left handers, and .208 against right handers...….while also performing much worse against off-speed pitchers than pitchers with a dominant fastball. Sometimes there are other factors at work….that should at least be considered, beyond, well, if we leave him for 40 we're going to get our 18 points most nights because he can't hit lots of threes in a row and not much else! That's a mid-major philosophy. A sad, sad philosophy that relies on spacing and guys getting hot.

Buddy should get the majority of the minutes...but our inflexibility at times costs us IMO.

website i looked at today has syracuse field goal attempts per season since 1992. tyus battle is on top of the list with 586 shot attempts in 2018 .that was during 37 games. both elijah and buddy are already in the top 20 after just 28 games. elijah with 399 is 14th and buddy with 380 is 19th. where will they land ?

(coondog is tenth at 431.)
Coondog will forever be number one in our hearts.

Goodine
Girard
Buddy
Hughes
Marek

Ladies and Gentlemen. WE HAVE A WINNER!! Finally someone who posted a lineup that i didn't:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom