The fickle nature of karma | Syracusefan.com

The fickle nature of karma

Shenexon

All American
I had a big weekend planned but it worked out a little differently than scheduled.I live in Virginia now, but was raised north of Syracuse. My grandmother attended Crouse College in the 1910s, my dad got his masters at SU, I attended SU, my ex-wife attended SU, my brother got his masters at SU, and I feel a strong bond with SU and upstate NY.

My daughter is a junior at William & Mary and she told me back in September that the W&M women's chorus that she sings with was going to sing with the SU women's chorus in Setnor Auditorium at Crouse College in March. I immediately added the event to my must do list. The karma was just too much for me to ignore. As the date approached, more stars aligned when it turned out the SU basketball team was playing California the same night for the right to go to the sweet 16. Even the timing of the two events seemed to be lining up just right. I'd go to the concert and then directly to watch SU play in Syracuse with people I share that passion with.

Everything was perfect. I left Virginia on time with a few hours of insurance time to protect against traffic & other distractions. My son was able to come with me and we got to Cortland with 3 hours left to get to Syracuse and a special evening. That's when my car broke down.

I limped it into Cortland, found an auto parts place, bought the tools I needed, the parts I needed, and made repairs in their parking lot. Unfortunately, the problem was more extensive than I had hoped. I spent the remainder of the afternoon & evening on my back under my car, nursing it into Syracuse, and to my hotel. Sadly, I missed the concert and the game.

I found a mechanic open on Sunday who confirmed my diagnosis of the problem and the need for a major repair. I decided to rent a truck and trailer and drove the car back yesterday, drove my daughter back to Williamsburg last night, and got home this morning about 8 AM. She rode up on a bus with the chorus, but was determined to come back with me. It was a great adventure my kids enjoyed immensely, but changed quickly from magic to tragic. I remembered later that I had 4 different cars/trucks die in Cortland during my time in the area. Somehow my evil car karma overruled my good SU karma. It was a memorable weekend like I knew it would be, but in its own way.

SU still won and is going to the sweet 16 and I still had a great weekend with my kids. How can I be too upset?

That's a keeper. :)

These are the types of stories that make lasting memories. Maybe even moreso than if it all worked out as planned.

Sorry to hear about your car problems..
My karma radar indicates that there is going to be some mystical relationship between Brandon Triche, his bad back and Indiana exorcising uncle Howard's inability to defend Keith Smart. We shall see.

Hopefuly you got to listen to the game on the radio at least. It's too bad you missed the concert and hopefully there will be others, but no way your evil car karma overruled your good SU karma. If it had the season would be over but since you live in Virginia hopefully you can find a way to get over to the game, but at the very least you get to root on TV.

Sorry to hear about your car problems..
My karma radar indicates that there is going to be some mystical relationship between Brandon Triche, his bad back and Indiana exorcising uncle Howard's inability to defend Keith Smart. We shall see.
I'm thinking that for 1000 years we will be able to see BT rise over Home Depot for the game winning shot.

Cars can be a blessing and a curse...mine's in the garage right now getting a wheel bearing transplant.

Two front struts a couple of weeks ago...an inline fuel filter leak a week ago. I wouldn't handle your situation as calmly as you did. I take car problems personally.

LGO!

I think that's the moral of the story. People may think Indiana presents matchup problems for us, but there's another more mystic layer that knows we have a cosmic need to avenge missed free throws and Smart's shot. There is balance to the universe and Indiana owes a big debt. LGO!

I think that's the moral of the story. People may think Indiana presents matchup problems for us, but there's another more mystic layer that knows we have a cosmic need to avenge missed free throws and Smart's shot. There is balance to the universe and Indiana owes a big debt. LGO!

That's right. The universe came mostly back into balance on 4/7/03, when Hak blocked a shot from the corner in the Superdome to seal the NC that was previously denied. Full balance can be restored when a Triche-led team beats Indiana on Thursday night. Not sure if it needs to involve critical free throws.

Cars can be a blessing and a curse...mine's in the garage right now getting a wheel bearing transplant.

Two front struts a couple of weeks ago...an inline fuel filter leak a week ago. I wouldn't handle your situation as calmly as you did. I take car problems personally.

LGO!
Actually, I'm kind of nervous. I drove my other car to take my daughter back to school. After I got back, I now notice I had a nut come loose from a stabilizer and think I dodged a bullet. Two cars in 4 days is a bit unusual, even for me. I hope the cars aren't taking things "personally".

I think your problem was gender-related. If my car broke down in Cortland three hours before I had to be in Syracuse for something important, the last thing I would have done would be to crawl under it. I would find the nearest car rental place, leave my car in Cortland and not worry about it until I returned the rental car to Cortland. :)

Sometimes it is good to be dumb.

I had a big weekend planned but it worked out a little differently than scheduled.I live in Virginia now, but was raised north of Syracuse. My grandmother attended Crouse College in the 1910s, my dad got his masters at SU, I attended SU, my ex-wife attended SU, my brother got his masters at SU, and I feel a strong bond with SU and upstate NY.

My daughter is a junior at William & Mary and she told me back in September that the W&M women's chorus that she sings with was going to sing with the SU women's chorus in Setnor Auditorium at Crouse College in March. I immediately added the event to my must do list. The karma was just too much for me to ignore. As the date approached, more stars aligned when it turned out the SU basketball team was playing California the same night for the right to go to the sweet 16. Even the timing of the two events seemed to be lining up just right. I'd go to the concert and then directly to watch SU play in Syracuse with people I share that passion with.

Everything was perfect. I left Virginia on time with a few hours of insurance time to protect against traffic & other distractions. My son was able to come with me and we got to Cortland with 3 hours left to get to Syracuse and a special evening. That's when my car broke down.

I limped it into Cortland, found an auto parts place, bought the tools I needed, the parts I needed, and made repairs in their parking lot. Unfortunately, the problem was more extensive than I had hoped. I spent the remainder of the afternoon & evening on my back under my car, nursing it into Syracuse, and to my hotel. Sadly, I missed the concert and the game.

I found a mechanic open on Sunday who confirmed my diagnosis of the problem and the need for a major repair. I decided to rent a truck and trailer and drove the car back yesterday, drove my daughter back to Williamsburg last night, and got home this morning about 8 AM. She rode up on a bus with the chorus, but was determined to come back with me. It was a great adventure my kids enjoyed immensely, but changed quickly from magic to tragic. I remembered later that I had 4 different cars/trucks die in Cortland during my time in the area. Somehow my evil car karma overruled my good SU karma. It was a memorable weekend like I knew it would be, but in its own way.

SU still won and is going to the sweet 16 and I still had a great weekend with my kids. How can I be too upset?

Sorry to hear of your car troubles. At least SU still is in the Sweet 16, and more importantly, you still got to spend time with your kids. All the best!

Dear Don, "from magic to tragic." That is a book title! You must write a book with that title, and I promise I will read it. Your magi-tragi story has so many layers of cosmicity that I don't even know where to begin. Your intention to be with your kids was noted by the universe AND by the kids, so that is all in the plus column. Your budget is definitely in the minus column.

Here's where the story gets twitchy: the team played without your watching, and acted like they didn't even care! No matter how I try to approach this idea, my mind becomes boggled.

Your great attitude puts it all in the 10 to the 1000th power plus column, with no need for balancing to occur!

I think your problem was gender-related. If my car broke down in Cortland three hours before I had to be in Syracuse for something important, the last thing I would have done would be to crawl under it. I would find the nearest car rental place, leave my car in Cortland and not worry about it until I returned the rental car to Cortland. :)

I don't think you would need a car rental. I think that you would have gotten the car mechanic, who just happened to be a Syracuse fan to drive you to Syracuse because you would promise him and his kid a seat behind the bench. And then he would fix your car for free because you would introduce him to Derrick Coleman, Pearl Washington and John Wallace and they would take the kid into the locker room.

I still don't understand how you couldn't talk that one State Trooper out of giving you a speeding ticket.

Quite a story, and you must be pretty 'techy' to get underneath. What kind of car?

In retrospect I should have called a cab or some local friends, but thought I had time and the right diagnosis to allow me to get there in time, discounting the worst case scenario. My daughter loved the campus and Crouse and didn't mind we didn't make it. She liked the adventure of being stranded and having to contrive a solution to our situation and has been proudly sharing her story with her friends.

Reactions: cto
I don't think you would need a car rental. I think that you would have gotten the car mechanic, who just happened to be a Syracuse fan to drive you to Syracuse because you would promise him and his kid a seat behind the bench. And then he would fix your car for free because you would introduce him to Derrick Coleman, Pearl Washington and John Wallace and they would take the kid into the locker room.

I still don't understand how you couldn't talk that one State Trooper out of giving you a speeding ticket.

Hey, at least I got him to reduce it from reckless driving (22 miles over the speed limit) to just plain speeding (17 miles over the limit). Give me credit for that.

Is there a car rental place in Cortland?

royal auto group does on RT 13(where there are car lots to both sides just past suny Cortland campus does for sure

Quite a story, and you must be pretty 'techy' to get underneath. What kind of car?
It's a Subaru Legacy Outback. I play with machines a good bit, but more equipment than cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom