The four best teams in the country | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The four best teams in the country

How can the NCAA punish the Big 12 for not having a championship game when the NCAA doesn't permit them to play one? Oh, I forgot, its's the NCAA. If neither team gets in, then look for the BiG 12 to actually have 12 teams. Cincinnati and Connecticut may finally find a home. Or Boise State. Or NJIT.

Art Briles is going to be must see tv when they don't get in. He's already ripping their commissioner.

Early on in the season the Big 10 was getting ridiculed because they were getting beaten by out of conference foes. So why does beating up a Big10 foe (Wisconsin) hold this much salt? :noidea:
Exactly. I think OSU should be in bc, well I don't care about Big XII teams, but see my above post. 4 meh B1G teams were better than the bad B1G teams, how do we know any of them are any good? I personally think OSU will get beat down by Bama, so I'm rooting for another B1G embarrassment.

Exactly. I think OSU should be in bc, well I don't care about Big XII teams, but see my above post. 4 meh B1G teams were better than the bad B1G teams, how do we know any of them are any good? I personally think OSU will get beat down by Bama, so I'm rooting for another B1G embarrassment.

As long as FSU is in I don't care. Either of the B1G or XII being left out is hilarious.

Wins and challenging yourself out of conference should mean more than style points.

Okay I missed your first post. Agreed.

FYI on TCU vs. Baylor:

vs. Iowa State TCU won 55-3, Baylor won 49-28 = Advantage TCU +31
vs. Kansas TCU won 34-30, Bayulor won 60-14 = Advantage Baylor +42
vs. Kansas State TCU won 41-20, Baylor won 38-27 = Advantage TCU +10
vs. Oklahoma TCU won 37-33, Baylor won 48-14 = Advantage Baylor +30
vs. Oklahoma State TCU won 42-9, Baylor won 49-28 = Advantage TCU +12
vs. Southern Methodist, TCU won 56-0, Baylor won 45-0 = Advantage TCU +11
vs. Texas, TCU won 48-10, Baylor won 28-7 = Advantage TCU +17
vs. Texas Tech, TCU won 82-27, Baylor won 48-46 -= Advantage TCU +53
vs. West Virginia, TCU won 31-30, Baylor loost 27-41 = Advantage TCU +15
Baylor beat TCU 61-58 = Advnatage Baylor +3

Net advantage: TCU +74. Or is it that simple?
Head to head Baylor won, and you can't put TCU in because of that. The Big 12 in this case, needs to be penalized for not having a championship game, which decides a true champion. That is supposed to be, one of the committees perceived criteria.

OSU won the number 1 team in the B10 regular season and also won the conference championship game. TCU and Baylor are co-champions. That's what the Big 12 commish said and boy will he regret saying that!

In my eyes, FSU should be number one. They are the only undefeated P5 team. They win. If FSU does not make the playoffs then there is something seriously wrong with the people in charge of evaluating teams.

Alabama is my number two. They won the SEC and that in itself will get them in because of the SEC's perception.

Number three would be Oregon. They had a loss to Arizona but got a shot at redemption and destroyed the team.

Number four is obviously the debatable spot. I personally would have Baylor but it's not like I am too confident in that option. Their out of conference schedule was laughable but they are the only other team in the conversation to beat another team that's in the conversation for the last spot.

TCU getting in over Baylor, in my opinion, makes little sense. They lost head-to-head, that's all there is too it. They have the same record as Baylor but lost to them.

If Ohio State got the nod over Baylor, for the number four spot, I would understand. I have them just slightly below Baylor because of their bad loss in week one to VPI. They have responded really strong since which is why I wouldn't be bothered and they dismantled Wisconsin in the B10 title game. The Big12's lack of a title game is a reason why I'd accept the OSU nod over Baylor.

longislandcuse said:
All the talking heads have OSU in over Baylor and TCU

Yeah the B12 shot themselves in the foot with this two true champions BS, I expect the confernece to be fully left out for muddying the waters trying to get 2 teams in. Greed.

While they should be included, part of me hopes FSU gets left out so I can witness the ending meltdown.:)

...are Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon and TCU, probably in that order. Just sayin'.
If tcu was better last week and they won 55-3, how can they drop? Osu has the only loss among the batch of teams under consideration that is BAD. That doesn't get wiped away.

Anyway you dice it up, FSU has to be in. Period. Wins are wins. They won a P5 conference, not a crap conference. They are undefeated for the second straight season AND...ARE THE DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!! An undefeated SEC or BIG team that looked like crap in a few games would NEVER NOT be considered one of the top 4. The fact that there is even speculation that a 13-0 FSU team won't get in is preposterous.

TCU is going to be a very unhappy group tomorrow. No Bevo championship game and a cakewalk of a last game equals "lights out".

If FSU were left out it would set a very dangerous precedent going forward...and the selection process would officially be a joke.

TCU Played and beat 5 ranked teams.
Baylor only really played 2 ranked teams and TCU was one of them.
Better resume is TCU by far...I don't know where the talking heads say that they have identical resume's.

IMO the final 4 are still Bama, Oregon, TCU and FSU.

All I'm hoping for is that this gets football to 8 teams quicker. We'd have Bama, Oregon, FSU, TCU, Baylor, Ohio St and 2 teams fighting for the 7th and 8th spot but at least the teams that earned the chance would be in...so much for dream world as reality has us with:

I hate parsing wins and worst/best losses and want the play on the field to be the only factor. That ain't gonna fly this year though.
Eye ball test has me think Oregon has the best team with Bama and FSU tied for second. Baylor won the head to head with TCU. Baylor also had the second worse loss to WV and OSU had the worst loss which was the criteria that knocked Oklahoma St out of it a few years ago.

Baylor played 6 road games and went 5-1 and played 9 P5's. TCU was 4-1 on the road and played 10 P5's. FSU 6-0 with 1 neutral vs Oklahoma St in Texas and 1 in Charlotte vs GT and played 12 P5's. Ohio State 5-0 and a neutral win over Wisconsin in Indy and played 10 P5's. Bama 5-0 with 1 neutral win over Missouri in Florida and played 10 P5's. Oregon 6-0 6 road games with 1 neutral game vs Arizona and played 11 P5's. Oregon and Ohio State had the only home losses. I think there is something to be said about playing games on the road and scheduling P5 schools OOC. Also, all the schools should be playing at least 2 P5's OOC if we are going to stay with 4 teams in the finals. FSU is the only team that went out and played 3 P5's OOC. That said, the PAC and Big 12 play 9 conference games so that will limit their options for OOC games.

So for the 4th team to join Oregon, FSU and Bama is.....I don't know. Bama and TCU beat the team that Baylor lost to but again, Baylor beat TCU which is more important. Oregon and OSU beat Michigan S. OSU had the worst loss to VT 6-6. Baylor lost to WV 7-5. Bama lost to Mississippi 9-3. Oregon lost to 10-3 Arizona. TCU lost to Baylor 11-1 so that is the best loss of the group. Oregon is the only one that got a second chance and crushed Arizona. Damn...I wish there was a play in game but still ...who to pick between the 3?

Ohio State needs to when it comes to the style point argument. In 2002 when they went undefeated in the regular season and played Miami in the Fiesta Bowl they struggled to beat pretty much every Big Ten team but because they were undefeated that is all that mattered. I still remember the Holy Buckeye 4th down TD against a 3 win Purdue team.

If going 13-0 in a P5 conference doesn't qualify you in the final 4 because you don't dominate teams then the sport needs to be shut down.

I hope the Bevo TCU team gets left out as they are only a co-champion and lost to the other co-champ.

How can the NCAA punish the Big 12 for not having a championship game when the NCAA doesn't permit them to play one? Oh, I forgot, its's the NCAA. If neither team gets in, then look for the BiG 12 to actually have 12 teams. Cincinnati and Connecticut may finally find a home. Or Boise State. Or NJIT.
even if the B12 had a game that doesnt mean baylor/tcu would have played in it.. they might well have been in the same side and TCU might have played someone like Ok/OSU.. wouldnt have helped them at all.

Head to head Baylor won, and you can't put TCU in because of that. The Big 12 in this case, needs to be penalized for not having a championship game, which decides a true champion. That is supposed to be, one of the committees perceived criteria.

Isn't there such a thing as an upset, if a mild one? It seems to me that TCU is the better team if you look at their overall accomplishments. If Texas Tech had kicked a field goal and beaten Baylor by one point and had two losses the head to head wouldn't make any difference. Is being 2-6 and -77 points against their eight common opponents much different than that?

FYI on TCU vs. Baylor:

vs. Iowa State TCU won 55-3, Baylor won 49-28 = Advantage TCU +31
vs. Kansas TCU won 34-30, Bayulor won 60-14 = Advantage Baylor +42
vs. Kansas State TCU won 41-20, Baylor won 38-27 = Advantage TCU +10
vs. Oklahoma TCU won 37-33, Baylor won 48-14 = Advantage Baylor +30
vs. Oklahoma State TCU won 42-9, Baylor won 49-28 = Advantage TCU +12
vs. Southern Methodist, TCU won 56-0, Baylor won 45-0 = Advantage TCU +11
vs. Texas, TCU won 48-10, Baylor won 28-7 = Advantage TCU +17
vs. Texas Tech, TCU won 82-27, Baylor won 48-46 -= Advantage TCU +53
vs. West Virginia, TCU won 31-30, Baylor loost 27-41 = Advantage TCU +15
Baylor beat TCU 61-58 = Advnatage Baylor +3

Net advantage: TCU +74. Or is it that simple?
thats what makes this hard.. i think TCU is by far the better team, these numbers show it yet they lost on the field. much like the FSU debate.. dont always look the best but win. its like the OSU loss in week one should not define how they are playing now or over the course of the season.

Boise State and BYU would be good but the Cougars want to be the Mormon Notre Dame so they might not be interested.

All I'm hoping for is that this gets football to 8 teams quicker. We'd have Bama, Oregon, FSU, TCU, Baylor, Ohio St and 2 teams fighting for the 7th and 8th spot but at least the teams that earned the chance would be in...so much for dream world as reality has us with:

I hate parsing wins and worst/best losses and want the play on the field to be the only factor. That ain't gonna fly this year though.
Eye ball test has me think Oregon has the best team with Bama and FSU tied for second. Baylor won the head to head with TCU. Baylor also had the second worse loss to WV and OSU had the worst loss which was the criteria that knocked Oklahoma St out of it a few years ago.

Baylor played 6 road games and went 5-1 and played 9 P5's. TCU was 4-1 on the road and played 10 P5's. FSU 6-0 with 1 neutral vs Oklahoma St in Texas and 1 in Charlotte vs GT and played 12 P5's. Ohio State 5-0 and a neutral win over Wisconsin in Indy and played 10 P5's. Bama 5-0 with 1 neutral win over Missouri in Florida and played 10 P5's. Oregon 6-0 6 road games with 1 neutral game vs Arizona and played 11 P5's. Oregon and Ohio State had the only home losses. I think there is something to be said about playing games on the road and scheduling P5 schools OOC. Also, all the schools should be playing at least 2 P5's OOC if we are going to stay with 4 teams in the finals. FSU is the only team that went out and played 3 P5's OOC. That said, the PAC and Big 12 play 9 conference games so that will limit their options for OOC games.

So for the 4th team to join Oregon, FSU and Bama is...I don't know. Bama and TCU beat the team that Baylor lost to but again, Baylor beat TCU which is more important. Oregon and OSU beat Michigan S. OSU had the worst loss to VT 6-6. Baylor lost to WV 7-5. Bama lost to Mississippi 9-3. Oregon lost to 10-3 Arizona. TCU lost to Baylor 11-1 so that is the best loss of the group. Oregon is the only one that got a second chance and crushed Arizona. Damn...I wish there was a play in game but still ...who to pick between the 3?
anything think OSU would no crush VT now? does oregon crushing ariz not make it a bad loss the first time, since they are clearly the better team? what is worse losing to a avg team or losing to a team you should beat by 30?

The Big 10 really screwed up by adding Maryland and Rutgers and Ohio State screwed up but scheduling cupcakes and losing to the only (bad) p5 they played. Yesterday's game doesn't change that. Wity the championship game OSU still played less games vs currently ranked teams than either bevo. Had Ohio State not had to play Rutgers and Maryland they couldve instead played Wisky and Nebraska in the regular season and stronger schedule as result.

I'm not even sure why they are being considered in the same breath with tcu or baylor who both have more betters wins and not as poor losses respectively. TCU also has a common opponent with OSU in Minnesota which they beat by 23 vs 7 for OSU. The fact that Minnesota is also the third toughest team on Ohio State's schedule also says something.

anything think OSU would no crush VT now? does oregon crushing ariz not make it a bad loss the first time, since they are clearly the better team? what is worse losing to a avg team or losing to a team you should beat by 30?

I don't know.

The Big 10 really screwed up by adding Maryland and Rutgers and Ohio State screwed up but scheduling cupcakes and losing to the only (bad) p5 they played. Yesterday's game doesn't change that. Wity the championship game OSU still played less games vs currently ranked teams than either bevo. Had Ohio State not had to play Rutgers and Maryland they couldve instead played Wisky and Nebraska in the regular season and stronger schedule as result.

I'm not even sure why they are being considered in the same breath with tcu or baylor who both have more betters wins and not as poor losses respectively. TCU also has a common opponent with OSU in Minnesota which they beat by 23 vs 7 for OSU. The fact that Minnesota is also the third toughest team on Ohio State's schedule also says something.

Forgot about TCU/OSU and Minnesota.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom