Class of 2018 - The four states to Recruit | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 The four states to Recruit

For Syracuse, I think it's Georgia, Florida, NY and the rest

We’ve noticeably ramped up travel and recruiting efforts in Georgia and are strengthening existing relationships in Texas. We’re continuuing to have a presence in Florida. California will be tough.

Dino’s the guy. What a homerun hire for our outstanding needs.

Last edited:
Only two schools that we have prior connections at though.
That’s fair. Hope Dino continues to strengthen the relationship with those two schools though, the talent’s significant.

For Syracuse I’d target

Tier 1
PA/NJ/NY
Florida
Maryland/DC/Northern VA
CT, MA, NH (when there are P5 propects)
Michigan
Cleveland/Youngstown

Tier 2
Georgia/Texas
Chicago/Illinois

During CoachP's reign Syracuse ALWAYS had a strong presence in the Maryland / DC / Northern VA. It's great to get back in down there. It should always be a priority base.

Last edited:
We seem to be doing well in Midwest like Michigan and Ohio of late too.
And the DMV area.

Agree 100% about Ohio -- not that I expect to get elite players from there, but given our relative proximity, I think we should hit that state much harder than we do. The amount of HS football talent in that state is unreal -- they singlehandedly supply not just Ohio State, but also half the B1G, the MAC conference, and teams like Cincinnati with talent.

Agree 100% about Ohio -- not that I expect to get elite players from there, but given our relative proximity, I think we should hit that state much harder than we do. The amount of HS football talent in that state is unreal -- they singlehandedly supply not just Ohio State, but also half the B1G, the MAC conference, and teams like Cincinnati with talent.
Not a ton of speed there. We need speed. There's a reason the B1G can't hang with OOC teams when it matters.

FL, GA, NJ, PA, NY should be our base. Mix in others when necessary.

Due to connections and the excess talent, I'd say Texas should be on that list too.

We definitively want to be better than the MAC and Cincinnati. I added up Ohio State and they have about 53 out of 109 from Ohio which is a little less than 50%. Penn State only had 4 or 5, Michigan had about 11. Wisconsin about 4 or 5. Michigan State did have about 25% from Ohio so that surprised me. Top talent isn't as widespread as the south and most stay in B10.

We definitively want to be better than the MAC and Cincinnati. I added up Ohio State and they have about 53 out of 109 from Ohio which is a little less than 50%. Penn State only had 4 or 5, Michigan had about 11. Wisconsin about 4 or 5. Michigan State did have about 25% from Ohio so that surprised me. Top talent isn't as widespread as the south and most stay in B10.
good for you. I started counting a day or so ago and lost steam. I can say that OSU had 7 kids from Texas and another 8 from Florida.

You have to figure of the 24 walk ons included in the 109, the vast majority of them are from Ohio and take advantage of the state school tuition. So if the Ohio scholarship players are more like 30-35 of 85, it only underscores the point even more.

There is a lot of faulty logic in your post. Nobody said that we want to be on par with the MAC or Cincinnati -- but there are definitely players from both groups who [1] are NFL prospects and [2] could certainly contribute here at a high level--so I wouldn't discount a player simply because they are from a lower conference.

And the bigger point that you seem to be going to great lengths to rationalize away is that the state of Ohio produces voluminous D1 talent -- to a far greater extent than NYS.

Ohio State is one of the top programs in the country, they recruit nationally. So what if 50% of their roster comes from elsewhere? It's an irrelevant consideration, given the strength of their national brand.

Ohio is two states away -- why ignore a robust source of talent that is so close, and produces so many high level D1 prospects? We might not be able to compete with elite programs for some of the top talent there, but we can't even do that in our home state. We've had examples in the "recent" [relatively speaking] past where players from Ohio [Reyes, Smith, even Micah Robinson to a lesser extent], who weren't necessarily blue chip elite recruits, ended up being difference makers for us.

Last edited:
I think if you listened to both Babers and Wildhack yesterday they pointed out that NY state will continued to be recruited but SU is a national program and will recruit nationally. Babers also stated they will be recruiting again in Canada in 2019.

There is a lot of faulty logic in your post. Nobody said that we want to be on par with the MAC or Cincinnati -- but there are definitely players from both groups who [1] are NFL prospects and [2] could certainly contribute here at a high level--so I wouldn't discount a player simply because they are from a lower conference.

And the bigger point that you seem to be going to great lengths to rationalize away is that the state of Ohio produces voluminous D1 talent -- to a far greater extent than NYS.

Ohio State is one of the top programs in the country, they recruit nationally. So what if 50% of their roster comes from elsewhere? It's an irrelevant consideration, given the strength of their national brand.

Ohio is two states away -- why ignore a robust source of talent that is so close, and produces so many high level D1 prospects? We might not be able to compete with elite programs for some of the top talent there, but we can't even do that in our home state. We've had examples in the "recent" [relatively speaking] past where players from Ohio [Reyes, Smith, even Micah Robinson to a lesser extent], who weren't necessarily blue chip elite recruits, ended up being difference makers for us.
No rationalization here. Just responded to a post saying Ohio 'singlehandedly' makes OSU great, and supplies other top B10 teams. Just added facts and numbers to take into account to that statement. I disagree with you that for us to improve to compete in the ACC we should be taking players who's highest offer is from MAC and competing with them for prospects. Of course you can mention Big Ben but in general we just shouldn't. I'll take good players from anywhere Dungy from Oregon, Jordan from AZ, Amie from TX but the posts are where should our core recruiting come from. A one off from anywhere is fine but historically, competitively, supply and demand play a huge role. Proximity also plays a huge role. IMO
NY, NE, NJ, PA, MD, DC due to proximity. FL, GA due to supply and demand and then 3rd tier should be a few from TX, OH and anywhere else we can get a good one. Its not ignoring its prioritizing resources. For whatever reason Ohio is considered Midwest and doesn't have much of a connection to SU despite literally not be too far away.

No rationalization here. Just responded to a post saying Ohio 'singlehandedly' makes OSU great, and supplies other top B10 teams. Just added facts and numbers to take into account to that statement. I disagree with you that for us to improve to compete in the ACC we should be taking players who's highest offer is from MAC and competing with them for prospects. Of course you can mention Big Ben but in general we just shouldn't. I'll take good players from anywhere Dungy from Oregon, Jordan from AZ, Amie from TX but the posts are where should our core recruiting come from. A one off from anywhere is fine but historically, competitively, supply and demand play a huge role. Proximity also plays a huge role. IMO
NY, NE, NJ, PA, MD, DC due to proximity. FL, GA due to supply and demand and then 3rd tier should be a few from TX, OH and anywhere else we can get a good one. Its not ignoring its prioritizing resources. For whatever reason Ohio is considered Midwest and doesn't have much of a connection to SU despite literally not be too far away.

Not only are you rationalizing, your premise is as poor as your reading comprehension, based upon the above "interpretation."

You want data? Here's the top 5 states, rated by how many blue chip recruits they produce:

ll 50 states and D.C., ranked by 2018 blue-chip recruits
State Blue-Chips National Share
Florida 65 17.8%
California 48 13.2%
Texas 44 12.1%
Georgia 40 11.0%
Ohio 12 3.3%

Which one of those states is in relative proximity to New York?
Which one of those states did our head coach recently coach?
Which one of those states is contiguous to Michigan, a state that we have actively recruited of late [in relation to "prioritizing resources"]?

Here's more data for you -- a 2017 analysis of the top recruiting states, in terms of prospect rating. Again, Ohio came in 5th nationally.

College Football Recruiting 2017: Ranking the Top 25 States in America

Two states that directly border on New York --Pennsylvania was 16th, New Jersey was 14th.

Want more data? Here's a longitudinal analysis showing how many blue-chip players have come from every state in the last five years, with each state's national percentage of elite talent included. Guess who came in #5 again, over that multi-year span?

State '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Total Total%
Texas 47 52 47 37 46 229 13.8%
Florida 42 47 50 42 46 226 13.6%
California 35 45 44 34 41 199 12.0%
Georgia 33 26 34 23 25 141 8.5%
Ohio 16 12 17 15 19 79 4.8%

And just for consideration, here are the top states by population -- which provides insight into some of the data above, and why the California / Texas / Florida produce such a high volume of blue chip football talent as a function of state population:

State Population Ranking Population

California 1 38,332,521
Texas 2 26,448,193
New York 3 19,651,127
Florida 4 19,552,860
Illinois 5 12,882,135
Pennsylvania 6 12,773,801
Ohio 7 11,570,808

The anti-Ohio recruiting animus smacks of an agenda. The fact is, they produce an impressive amount of top tier, high major, and mid tier D1 prospects, and it doesn't make sense to overlook that recruiting territory, given Babers's recent ties there.

Last edited:
Of the roughly 400 recruits that SU offered in the class of 2018 only 8 were from Ohio.
Looking quickly at the over 250 that have been offered in the class of 2019 roughly 8 have been offered from Ohio.

There is a lot of talent in Ohio but as of right now that doesn't appear to be where the staff is focusing there recruiting.

Of the roughly 400 recruits that SU offered in the class of 2018 only 8 were from Ohio.
Looking quickly at the over 250 that have been offered in the class of 2019 roughly 8 have been offered from Ohio.

There is a lot of talent in Ohio but as of right now that doesn't appear to be where the staff is focusing there recruiting.
You would think we have a large enough coaching staff that we could be out there and be pounding Ohio. I think HCDB should stop by here and read a few of these post . ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom