The great thing about this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The great thing about this year

I didn't think they would get in because there always seems to be bit of anti-Orange sentiment in the CBB ethos. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid or just sick of hearing the color commentary scream out in joy when our opponent makes a good play.
If you've been around long enough, it's hard not to have that built-in sense of paranoia based on history...

Good summary of a crazy year. In spite of all this, the defense has been pretty good and the offense has been brilliant at times.
I have seen great improvement in the team's rebounding lately. Excellent against Pitt. Cooney and Howard still out of position too often on 3-pointers. Against Dayton watch how often there are open 3-pointers on Cooney/Howard side as opposed to Gbinije side. You are certainly correct on your statement about the offense. Brilliant at times, terrible at times. Gbinije and Lydon have been models of consistency for the most part. The other 5 are models of inconsistency. What has been troublesome to me in recent games is the increase in the number of turnovers. It's hard to win when you are giving the ball up 15-20 times a game.

I have seen great improvement in the team's rebounding lately. Excellent against Pitt. Cooney and Howard still out of position too often on 3-pointers. Against Dayton watch how often there are open 3-pointers on Cooney/Howard side as opposed to Gbinije side. You are certainly correct on your statement about the offense. Brilliant at times, terrible at times. Gbinije and Lydon have been models of consistency for the most part. The other 5 are models of inconsistency. What has been troublesome to me in recent games is the increase in the number of turnovers. It's hard to win when you are giving the ball up 15-20 times a game.

Well, we need everyone to step and play well. Do or die.

Slightly disagree, if SU goes and gets blown out, highly unlikely but for sake of argument, or plays a really uncompetitive game that will be remembered if we are ever on the bubble again and were unlikely to get the benefit of the doubt. Best thing this team could do is beat Dayton and really play MSU tough showing that getting a bid was the right choice.

First, win or lose, it was the right choice. Most of the people bitching about us getting in like to take a small sample size to use against us (i.e. we lost 5 out of our last 6, lost three times to Pitt, etc.). When looking at our full body of work against other teams trying to get in, we were no question very deserving. The committee got it right.

Second, you aren't alone in thinking that we need to win to validate inclusion to the tourney. My wife said something similar last night. What I told her, is the the same that I 'll say here and that is, I don't think any committee member remembered, let alone, thought about who were bubble teams last year and what they did in the first round. A few games in the tournament, that's all forgotten (except maybe for the teams that didn't get in that thought they should). What we do in the tournament has absolutely no bearing on next year from an NCAA tourney standpoint.

On another note, here is for Cooney going off against Dayton. I feel it!

I didn't think they would get in because there always seems to be bit of anti-Orange sentiment in the CBB ethos. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid or just sick of hearing the color commentary scream out in joy when our opponent makes a good play.

Definitely paranoia. Can at least some of that die now?

We got a favorable seeding here. The NCAA might actually not be out to get us!!

Definitely paranoia. Can at least some of that die now?

We got a favorable seeding here. The NCAA might actually not be out to get us!!

The NCAA sucks so bad. The selection committee isn't the NCAA - the members come from other schools. They don't give two sh!ts about the NCAA most likely.

Just an observation. I'm not judging anyone's "fandom." I just find this place to be a great source of amusement and wonderment, between the gloom and doom threads and the pep rally threads, and everything in between.
Oh, good! I really didn't want to fight you.

I hope the loss to Dayton in 2014 still stings with the upperclassmen (in the best possible way), cuz I want to freaking bury them.

edit: This feels like a giant weight has been lifted, and after a litany of bad breaks and poor outings, the Dayton game is the perfect opportunity to begin again.

Slightly disagree, if SU goes and gets blown out, highly unlikely but for sake of argument, or plays a really uncompetitive game that will be remembered if we are ever on the bubble again and were unlikely to get the benefit of the doubt. Best thing this team could do is beat Dayton and really play MSU tough showing that getting a bid was the right choice.
Honestly I think that stuff is overblown. The selection committee has turnover every year. Most people forget what happened last night, let alone what happened last year. Do you think anyone besides Syracuse fans remember the snub in 07?

Do you mean the NCAA and not Vegas? Yeah, it seems like they screwed them on the #1 seed with Virginia, and then gave them the potential of a 2nd game with a team that can beat ANY team(including UNC) on any given day if their magic switch figures out how to stay on long enough. I know that If I were a fan of another team but had watched a decent amount of SU games, I'd want no part of them in the 2nd round. Good call, I have no idea why MSU is getting Boeheimed like that, but I REALLY hope we can oblige the NCAA's wishes!

Michigan St. owns UVA, it was UVA that got screwed

I think the last three games Cooney and Malachi went 3 for 30 or something like that from 3-point range. When the team is shooting that badly and losing 5 of the last 6 you have to be a mindless zealot by not having a little introspection. Are you a Met fan too?

I am a Met fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom