The idea that Dino is particularly bad after a bye week is fiction | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The idea that Dino is particularly bad after a bye week is fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this, but the numbers look off. Are they counting weeks between bowl games maybe?

Awesome site

Did since 2003 And we are 16-22 in that 20 year stretch

So non Dino 12-14
Dino 4-8

We are not good in general after Bye

I would argue a 43% winning percentage coming off a bye IS terrible. Considering you have extra time to rest & get healthy, and to scout & gamplan for a specific opponent. And then get blown out in 3 of those 4 losses... it ain't pretty.
do we count games where others come off byes? if every bye led to playing Ala 43% would be great.

The good thing is VaTech is bad after BYE weeks too

Awesome site

Did since 2003 And we are 16-22 in that 20 year stretch

So non Dino 12-14
Dino 4-8

We are not good in general after Bye
How can we have 12 byes in 7 seasons under Babers

*should have read the whole post. You said the numbers look off in it.

How can we have 12 byes in 7 seasons under Babers

*should have read the whole post. You said the numbers look off in it.
We had two byes in the 2020 Covid year, probably some scheduling quirk. And perhaps it's counting the time preparing for a bowl game as a "bye" but that's only two times. I have no idea.

It's the overall performance which is the issue. Even in two of the wins (UNC and NC State) the team didn't exactly play well. In two of the last three the team lost 71-3 and white knuckled a win against an NC state team starting a back up QB who literally couldn't throw the ball.
No, it's not the "overall performance". It's that someone posted that "he never wins after the bye" thing a few weeks ago, and dozens of people ran with it because they're lazy.

No, it's not the "overall performance". It's that someone posted that "he never wins after the bye" thing a few weeks ago, and dozens of people ran with it because they're lazy.

Dozens? I think i've seen it mentioned a handful of times at best. Odd hill to die on especially when you look at the outcomes in 2020 and 2021.

That's correct, he's not particularly bad coming off bye weeks, he's just particularly bad in general.
If you narrow it down to FCS teams he is very good. And pretty good against G5 teams. That’s something

I would argue a 43% winning percentage coming off a bye IS terrible. Considering you have extra time to rest & get healthy, and to scout & gamplan for a specific opponent. And then get blown out in 3 of those 4 losses... it ain't pretty.
Rest and get healthy, yes can factor some, but at this level I don’t think the extra scout and game plan time makes much difference.

Dino post-bye:

11/5/2016: Clemson L 54-0
11/4/2017: FSU L 27-24
11/20/2018: UNC W 40-37
11/16/2019: Duke W 49-6
11/20/2020: Louisville L 30-0
11/13/2021: Louisville L 41-3
10/15/2022: NC State W 24-9

3-4

I don't know where this conventional wisdom that Dino is uniquely terrible coming off the bye came from. I mean he won coming off the bye just last season.

This board could stand do some actual homework and not just rely on feels.

You missed a big loss in 2019, and one in 2020. So he is 3-6. I think 5 of those Ls were AWFUL performances. One L and one W, were poor performances. One W was a solid performance. One W was a great performance. So overall he has been pretty bad coming off a bye.

Clemson 2016 Dungey got hurt but it was already 10-0 when that happened. But still an awful performance. They lost to Pitt a week later.

FSU 2017 was disappointing. We were 4-4 with a chance at a Bowl. They were 2-5 going into the game but did end 7-6. Although we might have been their 2nd best W of the year. And they did get their butts kicked by BC (35-3) the week before. We were down 21-7 halfway through the 1st and never really recovered.

UNC 2018 overall was bad. We did lead 20-7 early 3rd Q. Then by early 4th Q we trailed by 7. That was a 2-9 UNC team.

I think Ward stunk overall and the above 3 games was further proof. We had extra time to scheme and our D laid eggs in those games.

One that you missed NC State in 2019. That was an awful team that had one ACC W, us. That was one of the worst teams Dino has lost to in his 8 years.

2019 Duke was a great performance. They weren't a good team but we totally dominated. But this seems like an outlier compared to the other games.

2020 Duke was the opposite. Another candidate for worst team lost to in Dino's tenure. We were at home, TD was playing, and they kicked the crap out of us. A team that ended 2-9 only beating Charlotte.

Louisville 2020 was not a good team, going 4-7. The team looked completely unprepared and we were down 20-0 at half.

Louisville 2021 we were 5-4 going in with a chance to finally make a Bowl. Yet again we looked completely unprepared. That team ended 6-7 yet they led 35-3 at half.

NC State 2022 was a solid performance. They had a good D and we played pretty well on O. We did benefit from they not having their QB though.

You missed a big loss in 2019, and one in 2020. So he is 3-6. I think 5 of those Ls were AWFUL performances. One L and one W, were poor performances. One W was a solid performance. One W was a great performance. So overall he has been pretty bad coming off a bye.

Clemson 2016 Dungey got hurt but it was already 10-0 when that happened. But still an awful performance. They lost to Pitt a week later.

FSU 2017 was disappointing. We were 4-4 with a chance at a Bowl. They were 2-5 going into the game but did end 7-6. Although we might have been their 2nd best W of the year. And they did get their butts kicked by BC (35-3) the week before. We were down 21-7 halfway through the 1st and never really recovered.

UNC 2018 overall was bad. We did lead 20-7 early 3rd Q. Then by early 4th Q we trailed by 7. That was a 2-9 UNC team.

I think Ward stunk overall and the above 3 games was further proof. We had extra time to scheme and our D laid eggs in those games.

One that you missed NC State in 2019. That was an awful team that had one ACC W, us. That was one of the worst teams Dino has lost to in his 8 years.

2019 Duke was a great performance. They weren't a good team but we totally dominated. But this seems like an outlier compared to the other games.

2020 Duke was the opposite. Another candidate for worst team lost to in Dino's tenure. We were at home, TD was playing, and they kicked the crap out of us. A team that ended 2-9 only beating Charlotte.

Louisville 2020 was not a good team, going 4-7. The team looked completely unprepared and we were down 20-0 at half.

Louisville 2021 we were 5-4 going in with a chance to finally make a Bowl. Yet again we looked completely unprepared. That team ended 6-7 yet they led 35-3 at half.

NC State 2022 was a solid performance. They had a good D and we played pretty well on O. We did benefit from they not having their QB though.

Thanks I thought that NC State game in 19 was off a bye, I should have double checked. I think that NC State game in 19 and Duke in 20 are by far the two worst losses in Dino's tenure. Both of those teams were god awful.

Also interesting that the OP called out people for not doing their research on post bye records and he missed two himself.

Thanks I thought that NC State game in 19 was off a bye, I should have double checked. I think that NC State game in 19 and Duke in 20 are by far the two worst losses in Dino's tenure. Both of those teams were god awful.

Also interesting that the OP called out people for not doing their research on post bye records and he missed two himself.

I hate that I took a look at this, but 2019 is looking very very similar. Playing a bad team for a Thursday night road game? Check. Following that up the next week with a Friday night home game against a long time foe? Check. Having an extremely disappointing season against a very very very manageable schedule? TBD.

I hate that I took a look at this, but 2019 is looking very very similar. Playing a bad team for a Thursday night road game? Check. Following that up the next week with a Friday night home game against a long time foe? Check. Having an extremely disappointing season against a very very very manageable schedule? TBD.

Funny you say that, I've been mentioning that game a bunch in my SU fan group thread, feels eerily similar. This Va Tech team is better then that NC State team but the similarities are very deja vu esque

Dino post-bye:

11/5/2016: Clemson L 54-0
11/4/2017: FSU L 27-24
11/20/2018: UNC W 40-37
11/16/2019: Duke W 49-6
11/20/2020: Louisville L 30-0
11/13/2021: Louisville L 41-3
10/15/2022: NC State W 24-9

3-4

I don't know where this conventional wisdom that Dino is uniquely terrible coming off the bye came from. I mean he won coming off the bye just last season.

This board could stand do some actual homework and not just rely on feels.
While I don't think his record after a bye is awful, the fact that 3 of the 4 losses were 54-0, 30-0, 41-3, and that it's an overall losing record isn't what I would call positive.
Those scores after a bye are inexcusable.

I did some research and discovered something shocking. Teams that are usually bad teams, tend to also continue to be bad teams after a bye. That is all.

Well then, cuse by 17.
Slow Motion Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online