The issue is player development | Syracusefan.com

The issue is player development

florange44

Scout Team
HCSS obviously has game management issues but maybe he can learn. We can all debate about schemes too.

The bigger issue is that players aren't improving year over year. I can think of very few (outside of d-line) that were significantly better over the years. Reddish is the only one that comes to mind, the rest seem to plateau very early.

At Syracuse, we have to develop players. We won't get the 5 stars. We can get the 3 stars and develop them, some will pan out, some wont, but we'll be generally successful. If Ruhle can do it at Temple we can too, but you have to develop and coach them up. I'm afraid this skill should have shown up by now in this staff, but it hasn't.

Maybe a changeover in a few staff positions can improve this but honestly, who is excelling besides Daoust? Maybe our LBs over the years, but they don't seem to improve much either.

To me, this is the issue that will ultimately decide HCSS fate. Given our facilities and history and league, we can recruit 3 star talent with any respectable coach, but we won't be a consistent 7-9 win team until we start developing that talent.

Florange44

At this point you have to leave history out. Most of the kids we recruit couldn't tell you McNabb went here let alone Jim brown. The history is gone cause we have been down too long.

HCSS obviously has game management issues but maybe he can learn. We can all debate about schemes too.

The bigger issue is that players aren't improving year over year. I can think of very few (outside of d-line) that were significantly better over the years. Reddish is the only one that comes to mind, the rest seem to plateau very early.

At Syracuse, we have to develop players. We won't get the 5 stars. We can get the 3 stars and develop them, some will pan out, some wont, but we'll be generally successful. If Ruhle can do it at Temple we can too, but you have to develop and coach them up. I'm afraid this skill should have shown up by now in this staff, but it hasn't.

Maybe a changeover in a few staff positions can improve this but honestly, who is excelling besides Daoust? Maybe our LBs over the years, but they don't seem to improve much either.

To me, this is the issue that will ultimately decide HCSS fate. Given our facilities and history and league, we can recruit 3 star talent with any respectable coach, but we won't be a consistent 7-9 win team until we start developing that talent.

Florange44
Bingo!

Player development might be an issue, but I can't say that definitively. Shafer has only been the head coach for 2 2/3 seasons. It does feel longer.

Player development might be an issue, but I can't say that definitively. Shafer has only been the head coach for 2 2/3 seasons. It does feel longer.
Certainly, but we need to stop making the same mistakes over and over again. Different mistakes would be refreshing.

philips needs to get all his reps at WR starting last season. he has 35 yards per game this year.

he would be much better than that if he practiced at one position. estime is at 31 yards per game

but we have people wondering why they don't look great at WR. it's because our terrible staff invents new positions for them. the rest of college football is missing the boat by letting their 85 players do the thing that they're good at!

cam lynch, jay bromley, spruill, zaire, bennett (both over the span of 1 season)etc. I stuck with Shafer's defensive guys here. You can add guys like emerich and brisly to the list as well.

cam lynch, jay bromley, spruill, zaire, bennett (both over the span of 1 season)etc. I stuck with Shafer's defensive guys here. You can add guys like emerich and brisly to the list as well.
IMO Brisly has not improved.

Spruill was pretty damn good his Freshman year. I actually thought Franklin looked better last year. imo he looks a half step slower this year. Not sure if he's injured, or put on too much weight, but his east-west movement doesn't seem as good. He was chasing guys down last year while this year he is getting beat to the edge quite regularly. Emerich? I remember Marrone thought very highly of him his 1st year hill. imo he has underachieved thus far.

Futhermore to counter that list. Guys like Trudo, Robsinson, Foy, Whigham have regressed. Guys like Parris, Moore, AC, Morris, McFarlane, Wilson, Hodge, Scissum, Morgan, Vigille, Raymon haven't improved all that much from earlier in their careers.

I think our player development has been quite poor, and this is something we need to excel at as a program if we are to have a chance at being successful.

Our approach has been smaller offensive lineman in the 280-290 range with quicker feet and smaller linebackers that run and hit like strong safeties. All good schematically but when you face top programs that have guys 20-30 lbs heavier with the same speed and athleticism, that becomes a problem. Emerich got blown up all day at fsu. Our lbs were too light in the box. And yes , i agree we need to commit erv to wr, playing in space with strong emphasis on his ball skills.

At this point you have to leave history out. Most of the kids we recruit couldn't tell you McNabb went here let alone Jim brown. The history is gone cause we have been down too long.
NUTS......Kids are much smarter than what you are giving them credit for. They and their parents do research on the schools and don't pick Syracuse because it is their favorite color.

Spruill was pretty damn good his Freshman year. I actually thought Franklin looked better last year. imo he looks a half step slower this year. Not sure if he's injured, or put on too much weight, but his east-west movement doesn't seem as good. He was chasing guys down last year while this year he is getting beat to the edge quite regularly. Emerich? I remember Marrone thought very highly of him his 1st year hill. imo he has underachieved thus far.

Futhermore to counter that list. Guys like Trudo, Robsinson, Foy, Whigham have regressed. Guys like Parris, Moore, AC, Morris, McFarlane, Wilson, Hodge, Scissum, Morgan, Vigille, Raymon haven't improved all that much from earlier in their careers.

I think our player development has been quite poor, and this is something we need to excel at as a program if we are to have a chance at being successful.
Emerich was getting embarrassed last year. I don't use that term lightly. Its hard for the average fan to assess o-line play so I can understand your confusion but going from embarrassing to serviceable is improvement. He's actually been graded well by PFF in some games, so there's that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom