SU Athletics Video Services Unleashed! [OG's Back!] | Syracusefan.com

SU Athletics Video Services Unleashed! [OG's Back!]

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
I think this is an example of loosening the reins on what the video staff at SU Athletics can do. Really in-depth and interesting look at OG II. Maybe I'm wrong, and they've always been allowed to show this much, but the package just seems a lot more complete. It's not a whole lot new, but certainly, it seems like they're sharing a lot more in this piece than we normally see from SU football.

Agreed. I don’t think Dino would have allowed that much detail regarding the injury.

Looks like a much different strength training program too….but what do I know.

OG looks like he’s bulked up a bit too.
The injury discussion is what stuck out to me, too. Giving individual players (especially leaders) a platform will only help recruit and retain players.

If NIL is as important an aspect of college football as we all know it is, giving your big-time players a platform to present themselves meaningfully to the public is imperative.

Make the players' front and center action figures, and it helps the profile of the player AND the program.

The injury discussion is what stuck out to me, too. Giving individual players (especially leaders) a platform will only help recruit and retain players.

If NIL is as important an aspect of college football as we all know it is, giving your big-time players a platform to present themselves meaningfully to the public is imperative.

Make the players' front and center action figures, and it helps the profile of the player AND the program.
Agree. And great point. It’s also how you market the program.

I remember when it happened how odd the circumstances of the injury was and it remains the craziest injury situation I've ever seen.

Going into that game he had a high ankle sprain of the left ankle that he was recovering from and when the tackle was made he was hurting bad and that was the ankle he was grabbing in pain with an obvious re-injury there. And yet it was the RIGHT ankle with the more severe injury, the lis franc, requiring surgery and being out for the season. Here's my take on it thays not too far off.

Can't call this new injury a blessing in disguise yet in that we don't know if he's fully 100% recovered from more major right foot fracture dislocation, but without it happening he would have been like Trebor pena with his high ankle sprain, constantly reinjuring it.

This other ankle/foot injury required him to miss the season to heal it and concomitantly has now allowed the original left ankle injury to now heal completely. Likely it wouldn't have otherwise as with the case Pena.

So the poor kid was hobbled by both ankles/foot injury. Don't think I've ever recall in my 33 years treating and teaching orthopedic injuries seeing a similar circumstance. Just wow.

But the good news is, it Sure looks like from that video he's at or getting close to 100% and ready to go so here's hoping and praying he stays healthy and he and his team achieve their goals stated in that vid. Add this to the list of being so very excited for the season this year.

Last edited:
I remember when it happened how odd the circumstances of the injury was and it remains the craziest injury situation I've ever seen. Going into that game he had a high ankle sprain of the left ankle, when the tackle was made and he was hurting bad that was the ankle he was grabbing in pain with an obvious re-injury there. And yet it was the RIGHT ankle with the more severe injury, the lis franc, requiring surgery and being out for the season.

Can't call it a blessing in disguise yet in that we don't know if he's fully recovered from more major right foot fracture dislocation, but he would have been like Trebor pena with his high ankle sprain, constantly reinjuring it. This other ankle/foot injury required him to miss the season to heal it and concomitantly has now allowed the original left ankle injury to now heal completely. Likely wouldn't have otherwise as with Pena.
So the poor kid was hobbled by both ankles/foot injury. Wow. Don't think I've ever recall in my 33 years treating and teaching orthopedic injuries seeing a similar circumstance.

Sure looks like from that video he's 100% and ready to go so here's hoping and praying he stays healthy and he and his team achieve their goals stated in that vid. Add this to the list of being so very excited for the season this year.
Met him at the game on Saturday. He’s a big guy. looks like he’s in great shape.

I remember when it happened how odd the circumstances of the injury was and it remains the craziest injury situation I've ever seen.

Going into that game he had a high ankle sprain of the left ankle that he was recovering from and when the tackle was made he was hurting bad and that was the ankle he was grabbing in pain with an obvious re-injury there. And yet it was the RIGHT ankle with the more severe injury, the lis franc, requiring surgery and being out for the season. Here's my take on it thays not too far off.

Can't call this new injury a blessing in disguise yet in that we don't know if he's fully 100% recovered from more major right foot fracture dislocation, but without it happening he would have been like Trebor pena with his high ankle sprain, constantly reinjuring it.

This other ankle/foot injury required him to miss the season to heal it and concomitantly has now allowed the original left ankle injury to now heal completely. Likely it wouldn't have otherwise as with the case Pena.

So the poor kid was hobbled by both ankles/foot injury. Don't think I've ever recall in my 33 years treating and teaching orthopedic injuries seeing a similar circumstance. Just wow.

But the good news is, it Sure looks like from that video he's at or getting close to 100% and ready to go so here's hoping and praying he stays healthy and he and his team achieve their goals stated in that vid. Add this to the list of being so very excited for the season this year.
I’m liking this solely because of your use of the word “concomitantly.” Not enough use of that word around here.

As the resident orthopedist it’s good to hear your take Cuseregular. Always appreciate your posts!

Quick question for you: Do Lisfranc injuries tend to re-occur? Or is this a one-time occurrence usually?

I'm looking forward to seeing how the team compares physically next season. Especially on the DL.

Good stuff, he’s answered one of the boards great debates - he’s a tight end.

found this tidbit,

his 1,033 receiving yards since 2022 are third among returning FBS tight ends. The only two players who have more are the aforementioned Nesbit and the next player on this list. Gadsden’s 2.35 yards per route run in that span trails only Bowers, Michael Mayer and Dalton Kincaid among FBS tight ends over the last couple of seasons.

With Villari i expect to see a very pro style offense. Two tight ends, a 3 down running back, and a top,tier qb.

identify 5 best wr’s. It would be great to find a true 1 route runner man beater, a big speed guy outside the hashes, and a quick slot guy.

last item, have at least have one side of the line be really good.

Last edited:
Expected to be back means we hope and think he will be. It was also expected last year that Shrader was going to have no issues in the fall. Instead he was on a pitch count and his arm wasn't exactly fantastic. Seems like we lose our best and most important player pretty much every year. Really hoping that ends this year and McCord and OG are healthy the entire year. Damn. Work apparently has me negative today.

Wonderful news! Hopefully this will be the case!

Expected to be back means we hope and think he will be. It was also expected last year that Shrader was going to have no issues in the fall. Instead he was on a pitch count and his arm wasn't exactly fantastic. Seems like we lose our best and most important player pretty much every year. Really hoping that ends this year and McCord and OG are healthy the entire year. Damn. Work apparently has me negative today.

Thought it was confirmed that Shrader injured the arm vs Clemson, that it wasn’t related to the surgery

Thought it was confirmed that Shrader injured the arm vs Clemson, that it wasn’t related to the surgery
Yup. There were also warning signs in the spring / summer re. Garrett that later were confirmed by his own comments.

Oronde was happy to chat with fans at the game on Saturday about his progress and where he’s at. Way way different. Of course it’s a difficult surgery but I feel better about him than Garrett.

This coaching staff is far far far different than the previous

No smoke and mirrors with stuff like injuries.

OG being able to openly talk about the injury should be clue enough that this is a different regime. One that won’t be a closed off to society like Japan used to be before the open door policy

OG being able to openly talk about the injury should be clue enough that this is a different regime. One that won’t be a closed off to society like Japan used to be before the open door policy
I expect them to still hold some info on a weekly basis for competitive reasons (all coaches do and will at the college level because there's no mandatory injury report like the NFL). But being open about this kind of stuff that really doesn't impact any competitive advantage since it's more than six months from a game builds you equity with the fans that everyone understands more when you decide to hold some things.

Dino got better with it as time went on, but his early years of secrecy built him a hole that left everyone frustrated with that stuff.

Sure seems like it after watching that video. Dino might acknowledge he's heard of OG and that he has two feet, but nothing more.

So Coach Fran is like Commodore Perry and Coach Dino is like the Tokugawa Shogunate.