The Jim Boeheim Show - before Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Notre Dame

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from the Cavalier Room at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question!
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: WGVA

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

1st Hour: “Coach, John Gillon seems to have a lot of trouble scoring on his drives to the basket. About once a game he’ll dish to another player and that player will usually score easily. If he looks to dish more, won’t he not only get more assists but also more baskets because the defense will have to pay more attention to the other players?

2nd Hour: “Coach, is DaIuan Coleman’s career essentially over? How good a player could he have been on healthy knees? “

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

PART ONE

Matt noted the 2-12 start against UNC. “How do you stop the room from spinning?” JB: You make a play at one end and get a basket at the other. It was the same in the second half. We fell behind and had a 10-0 run, (actually it was 12-0, from 30-45 to 42-45). Then we had a couple of bad turnovers and a couple of fouls didn’t get called. We got beat on the boards. We did some good things offensively. Our defense should be more consistent. Our disparity in home and road games has been crazy. Inexperience and newness to the system is a factor. We’ve always bene a good road team. . Since we came into the ACC we are one of 2-3 teams with a winning road record and we won more road games than any team in Big East history.

Liam in Pompey thought Battle and Lydon played well but the rest of the team was ”wishy washy”. Can Coach get the team playing better for Notre Dame? JB: Tyler Lydon played out of his mind. Tyus played very well. The rest struggled in spots. Notre Dame will be as tough or tougher. We need to win tough games.

Jim marveled at Notre Dame making 15 of 21 threes and still losing. (Later Gomez suggested Steve from North Syracuse might want to look up whether that’s ever happened before – in the short time available I could find nothing.) It was especially amazing again “that kind of defense”. Notre Dame’s first five league wins were all come from behind wins by small margins (1-7 points, including an overtime game).”There are really good teams at the top of our league.”

I called in and first congratulated Coach on two things: We complain about the free throw shooting when we miss a few but this team is #1 in free throw shooting in ACC games. We’ve hit at least 75% in every ACC game and are 82% overall. Jim said that we’ve been getting the right people on the line and they’ve been shooting better than normal. I also noted that after I had asked why we couldn’t play more like West Virginia last week that we forced 20 turnovers against Holy Cross out of the Boeheim 2-3 zone: where you play defense is not as important as how you play it.

I also told him I wasn’t going to make the mistake of asking if Tyus Battle could be our point guard, as Brent Axe did in an interview a couple of hours before the coach’s own show. Jim told Brent: “No…..I’m surprised you would ask such a stupid question. He’s never played point guard before in his life.” Brent floored it backing out of that one, thanking Jim for his clear and decisive answer. When I said I wasn’t going there, the coach laughed.

Then I asked my question about John Gillon. “That’s a great observation. We looked at the film and three times John had teammates open for threes and went all the way to the basket and didn’t score. Two were blocked and the other was a missed lay-up. He’s done it, (dished off), against Pitt and Miami, when he had 11 assists. It’s upsetting when he doesn’t do it in the next game. He’s not that big and when the defense gets near him, he has trouble getting the ball over them. Frank has done something similar. Ideally you want your point guard to get the ball to your shooters. If their own shot is open, they need to make them. John has got to make plays to three point shooters on drives. Earlier he had a 2 point 10 assist game, (actually 2 and 7 vs. Cornell). That’s what you want as a point guard. We’ll stress that for the next game.“ (Actually I was thinking more in terms of dishing to the big guys on the way to the basket – draw the defense to him to stop the drive and then hit the Lydon, Roberson or Thompson as they moved away from them. But treys are good, too.)

“It’s been similar on defense. We were forcing turnovers and bad shots at home and then we don’t do it on the road. Georgia Tech’s zone was very effective against Virginia Tech. it’s the same movements and the same attacks. North Carolina was just a bigger and stronger team. They are winning the boards by 14 a game.“

Stefan called up to ask “If something doesn’t work in a game – like passing or three point shooting – Do you go over it in practice and sort of press the ‘reset’ button? “ JB: “That’s what you do in practice. That’s what practice is for. You work on things and hope new things don’t crop up.”

Pat called in for the first time since Boeheim jumped on him for calling the team “talented” a few weeks ago. “Did Mike Gbinije and Frank Howard ever play point guard in high school?” Jim said that mike never did. Frank played “some”. Pat wanted to know how the staff targets players and who goes to see them. JB: “I see every player. My assistants see them and then I see them, some of them in the summer. Except for the 5th year guys and we had tape on them. If it’s a top player, the evaluation is easy. We don’t’ usually get the Top 10-20 players. Nobody recruited hakim Warrick or Josh pace or Andy Rautins before we did. We saw them and liked them. They came here and got better and became really good players. I think Kaleb Joseph and BJ Johnson will become good players in their 4th years. With some guys it takes longer. Everybody makes mistakes. Duke has had three top 20 players transfer. It’s not a sure thing. Young and Artis at Pittsburgh were not highly recruited. Buzz Williams didn’t have any Top 30 recruits at Virginia Tech. Nobody wanted Bowman at BC…..I don’t really understand your question. What are you looking for? “

Pat said that some players didn’t work out “and then there’s the NBA factor for the ones who do. And what about the transition next year? “ Coach: “That’s how it happens here and every place in the country. We’re going to get a couple more players: a wing player and a guard. Hopefully we can get these guys to come back. We think the two big guys will be able to help us as freshman. I’m disappointed in the fifth year players, adjusting not just to the zone but to the whole system. Losing Paschal hurt. Frank has bene a disappointment. Mike Hopkins is already working on the 2018 class.”

Dave in Syracuse wondered how Coach plans for the players who leave early, like Ennis, McCullough and Richardson. JB: “You can plan ahead but you won’t get somebody as good. We get a Top 25 play every couple of years. You can’t just go out and get another. We‘ve suffered. If Tyler Ennis had stayed another year we’d have won 5-6more games, (from the 18 we won in 2014-15). We was Top 50 but Top 25 in our minds. Sometimes the 50th player is the 50th player. Kaleb was top 50 but needed 2-3 years to get to be good. We really thought we’d be OK this year with DaJuan, Paschal and the fifth year players. We never thought Tyler Ennis would do what he did and he just took over the program. Sherman Douglas was not recruited in high school by anybody and he took us to the Final Four. I love the two guys we’ve got. They are long, athletic under the radar guys. With the guys we get back and one more backcourt player and we’ll be OK.” (The Sherman Douglas situation has bene discussed at length on this board in the past: yes, he was a McDonald’s All-American but not at the time SU recruited him. He blew up in his senior year and then became a big time prospect.)

Tom called in and said he could not recall the last time we’d had a center block a shot and dribble the length of the floor to score, as Taurean Thompson did. Maybe he could see some more action so Tyler Lydon won’t get tired. JB: “We don’t need 6-10 guys dribbling the length of the floor. That’s probably the one and only time that will work. We need to get him closer to the basket and playing better defense. He’s very good on offense but not yet on defense. Getting tired is a myth. Notre Dame plays 5 guys.” (Matt noted that they have four guys averaging 31 or more minutes per game: we have two). “We went to the final four playing 5-6 guys. Tyler Lydon pulls the center away from the basket. He’s active on defense and can block shots and rebound. He’s the best center on the team. Guard play and defense are the key.”

Gomez said of UNC: “You can’t coach big.” JB: “They had Wisconsin down 25-30 points and they will probably win the Big Ten. Once in a while they have an off game. They were on vs. us. We did some good things on both ends but not enough to win on the road against a team like that. It’s not a year to have an iffy team in this league.”

Gomez noted that Jay Bilas had said that Syracuse had the same record before the game as they had last year at this time: 11-7 and wound up in the Final Four. JB: “But we had two wins against ranked teams, Texas A&M and Gonzaga. This year South Carolina and Wisconsin were Top 25 teams but we lost to them. St. John’s and Boston College aren’t bad teams but when you lose by that much they are bad losses. We tell the players to worry about the next game, not what they’ve got to do to get someplace.”

Gomez noted that Tyler Lydon and Tyus Battle had played well. JB: “If you play well, you gain confidence. Andrew White had great games against Miami and Pittsburgh. Taurean Thompson has had flashes. John Gillon and Frank Howard have had some good games. We are playing against Top 20 teams on the road and we aren’t a Top 20 team. We are massive underdogs. “

How did Florida State get so good? “It was a slow building process. They have a lot of good, veteran players. They play the most players of any team in the country: 10-11…. Notre Dame isn’t big but plays big. They’ve got veteran guys who are mentally tough.”

I called in my second question about DaJuan Coleman. “It’s too bad we didn’t see DaJuan on good knees. He would have been a tremendous player if he could move and jump as he did in high school. He’s lost 40 pounds. He’s going to play but I don’t know how much. He’s had some good games. We’ve gotten three good wins playing Tyler Lydon and Tyler Roberson. Tyler Lydon gives us better shot blocking. Tyler Roberson is our best defensive forward. Andrew White is playing the 3. Lydon didn’t do so well at the 3.”

Against Notre Dame “We’ll have to play even better than we’ve played. We need some big wins and we now have some opportunities to get them. We’ve got to cash in.”

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

1st Hour: “Coach, John Gillon seems to have a lot of trouble scoring on his drives to the basket. About once a game he’ll dish to another player and that player will usually score easily. If he looks to dish more, won’t he not only get more assists but also more baskets because the defense will have to pay more attention to the other players?

2nd Hour: “Coach, is DaIuan Coleman’s career essentially over? How good a player could he have been on healthy knees? “

I thought these were two of the better questions you've posed to coach in a long time. Kudos on both of them.

Pat said that some players didn’t work out “and then there’s the NBA factor for the ones who do. And what about the transition next year? “ Coach: “That’s how it happens here and every place in the country. We’re going to get a couple more players: a wing player and a guard. Hopefully we can get these guys to come back. We think the two big guys will be able to help us as freshman. I’m disappointed in the fifth year players, adjusting not just to the zone but to the whole system. Losing Paschal hurt. Frank has bene a disappointment. Mike Hopkins is already working on the 2018 class.”

Was surprised by how candid he was about the 5th year guys and Frank. Who is he hoping to get to come back? wondering if that hope extends to Frank based on all of the rumors here on the board?

(The Sherman Douglas situation has bene discussed at length on this board in the past: yes, he was a McDonald’s All-American but not at the time SU recruited him. He blew up in his senior year and then became a big time prospect.)

Apparently it hasn't been discussed enough; Sherm was not a McDonald's All American. List of McDonald's All Americans or at least the organizers don't think he was.

I called in my second question about DaJuan Coleman. “It’s too bad we didn’t see DaJuan on good knees. He would have been a tremendous player if he could move and jump as he did in high school. He’s lost 40 pounds. He’s going to play but I don’t know how much. He’s had some good games. We’ve gotten three good wins playing Tyler Lydon and Tyler Roberson. Tyler Lydon gives us better shot blocking. Tyler Roberson is our best defensive forward. Andrew White is playing the 3. Lydon didn’t do so well at the 3.”

I really don't understand the DCII situation. He has only played a minute in conference play. Is he a no go because he physically can't play, or has it been coach's decision not to use him? Has he been practicing? I've had the impression that he has been in uniform suggesting that he is available. I realize that he hasn't performed at nearly the level that we would have hoped or may need, but its shocking to me that he has only played 1 minute over the last 6 games if he has been available. The walk-ons have managed to get into 3 games and accumulate 4 minutes during that stretch. I am not questioning the decision to use him or not, just wondering what to expect from him if anything from here on out?

Question: when JB said he loves the 2 guys we have, is he talking about our underclassmen guards or our 2 signees?

PART TWO

The women’s team was taking on Florida State, the #7 team in the country who “had a chance to beat Connecticut”. The Seminoles his their first two threes;. “”That’s never a good way to start a game.” The Orangewomen ended the game losing 58-77, the entire margin coming from a 7-26 first period. They are now 13-7 on the season. 4-3 in the conference and 2-4 against ranked teams.

Lou in Utica had listened to Jim listing his under-recruited players and wondered why Wendell Alexis was included, (he also wondered if anyone remembered him). JB: “Wendell was fairly well thought of, as was Rafael Addison, who we recruited at the same time. Wendell had the bets father of anyone we’ve recruited. He told me yell at his son more.” (Coach laughed at that story.)

Jim filmed a commercial for the Infiniti Challenge with Fran Dunphy:

Actually, he was never there with Dunphy. It was all done through editing. And some doubles, (“stunt men”) were used for anything that involved a change of latitude- up or down. Gomez asked him if he “got game”. JB: “If it looks like I’ve got game, that’s all editing. Dunphy doesn’t have game, either. No coach does. Once you’re done you’re done.“ When was the last time Coach dunked a basketball? “I’ve dunked twice in my life. One was in practice and one wa sin a summer game –and the basket was a little bit low.”

Then came some NBA talk: Should Steph Curry have bene taken over Russell Westbrook for the All-Star game starter spot. “It’s a fan vote and they have a larger fan base. Westbrook or Harden is the best player in the NBA. D’Antoni has made Harden into a great point guard.

Both Jim and Gomez were astonished that Russell Westbrook actually got called for traveling. Gomez said he took “5-6 steps and was pointing to guys saying “You go over there…You go over there.”
Russel Westbrook's travel against warriors

Are the 76ers finally turning the corner? “They’ve turned a bit. They are on the right track. Joel Embiid is one guy who really is big-time. Simmons would help. He doesn’t shoot it great but he is a special player.”

Carmelo and the Knicks: Once they gave him a no-trade clause they had to bring in the guys to make it work. He’s not going to approve a trade to Charlotte and the top teams won’t give up anyone good for him. The fan base won’t go for trading him for nothing. No free agents want to play there. Derrick Rose can still play. He plays great and then is out for a game or two.”

After being blown out by the Warriors, LeBron James said that the Cavaliers didn’t practice enough. “That’s just talk. Golden State has an awful lot of firepower. They should have won their second title in a row last year. If Dramond Green hadn’t been suspended they would have won it in five games. Durrant has fit in well. He’s a great team player. They are stronger inside and getting better play from their bench.”

Gomez asked about Roy Williams got the same speech JB made in the post- game presser. “We’ve been friends for 40 years and have played golf together. He’s one of the greatest coaches of all time.” Do coaches talk with each other during the season? “Not usually. We see each other during the Final Four.

Trevor Cooney has signed on with a European team. How does the money they make in Europe compare to what they’d get in the D Leagues? “He’ll make about $200,000 his first year there. Demetris Nichols has bene there for several years and is making $500,000. In the D-Leagues you make about $30,000. The only reason to go there is if you have a direct path to the NBA.”

What does JB think of Randy Edsall withdrawing this offer to a kid who turned down everyone else and was already planning his academic schedule at UCONN? “It’s always a bad situation when you have a change of coaching staffs and get different ideas. I’d try and go and talk with the kid and say that we’d looked at film and that he wouldn’t play much if he came here. To just call him like that is kind of heavy handed. Spring is letter-of-intent time for football. The kid had not signed yet. The kid or the school can walk away. It happens all the time. Our footballs taff has lost a couple of guys who changed their mind. That’s why we pushed for an early signing date. A kid shouldn’t want to go someplace where they aren’t wanted.

What does Jim think of the baseball Hall of Fame selections? “Rodriguez was a great player. Bagwell and Raines were very good.” About Bonds and Clemens: “The Hall of Fame should step forward and say something. You don’t know about the players even today. They need to bite the bullet and ask “Do their numbers deserve it? It’s not up to the Hall of Fame to take care of it. It’s hypocritical. Rafael Palmeiro hit over 500 home runs and he’s not even on the ballot any more….Bonds saw other guys hitting 60-70 home runs and didn’t like it….What Curt Schilling says shouldn’t matter. There’s a lot of out-spoken guys in the Hall of Fame and a lot of guys who weren’t great people.

What’s on Jim’s reading list? “Jack Reacher novels- he, (Lee Child) does a good job. Mike Connelly, Jim Patterson and John Gresham. “

NFL playoffs- “Aaron Rodgers is pretty good. It’s hard to go against him. I think Brady will get there. I like the patriots but don’t care about the others. I just want some great games.

What about those locker room clips that went to social media? “What goes on in a locker room should stay there, although that’s harder to do with social media. We talk to the players and they take communications courses. “

Gomez asked a trivia question: What two players have played in a Final Four and a World Series. Jim couldn’t answer it. Can you?

Question: when JB said he loves the 2 guys we have, is he talking about our underclassmen guards or our 2 signees?

The two signees.

I took it as he is hoping Lydon comes back... not sure if that's realistic..

Kudos to Pat for asking a solid question of substance. Tough questions are hard to answer, especially when one occasionally, when it fits, speaks out both sides of his mouth as JB can. His typically brash, bs, etc. with Axe when asking about Battle playing the point is just another example. JB makes the argument that Battle has never played the point in his life, etc., so no way he can do that. But, yet at the same time, acknowledging that silent G hadn't ever either, and Howard "some," which in reality, meant hardly ever. Can you say contradiction. Moreover, I thought based upon what I read here a bunch, that one of our main selling points to Battle when we were so aggressively recruiting him, was that here he would play with the ball in his hands...or to that effect.

Jim marveled at Notre Dame making 15 of 21 threes and still losing. (Later Gomez suggested Steve from North Syracuse might want to look up whether that’s ever happened before – in the short time available I could find nothing.) It was especially amazing again “that kind of defense”. Notre Dame’s first five league wins were all come from behind wins by small margins (1-7 points, including an overtime game).”There are really good teams at the top of our league.”

Since the 2010-2011 season no team has made at least 15 threes and shot better than 70% from 3 and lost besides Notre Dame. Of course, only 18 teams have done that while winning during the same time frame.

College Basketball Statistics and History | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Kudos to Pat for asking a solid question of substance. Tough questions are hard to answer, especially when one occasionally, when it fits, speaks out both sides of his mouth as JB can. His typically brash, bs, etc. with Axe when asking about Battle playing the point is just another example. JB makes the argument that Battle has never played the point in his life, etc., so no way he can do that. But, yet at the same time, acknowledging that silent G hadn't ever either, and Howard "some," which in reality, meant hardly ever. Can you say contradiction. Moreover, I thought based upon what I read here a bunch, that one of our main selling points to Battle when we were so aggressively recruiting him, was that here he would play with the ball in his hands...or to that effect.

I would say its only a contradiction if you interpret the words literally. I think JB sees the question as, "Why don't you try Battle at the point next game?" And, he is saying look he hasn't been developed as a point guard to this point, we can't simply throw him out there an expect him to succeed in that role.

G had never played the point before we decided to make him at point. But we didn't simply throw him out there at the position in the middle of a game in the middle of the season, it was a process in practice to the point where JB got comfortable that he could play the point.

I think this recruiting pitch was taken too literally and was inferred by some posters to mean more than what was implied. "Ball in his hands" doesn't necessarily = point guard, as many initially believed.

Last edited:
I think this recruiting pitch was taken too literally and was inferred by some posters to mean more than what was implied. "Ball in his hands" doesn't necessarily = point guard, as many initially believed.

Yep, it meant that he'd be a focal point of the offense. Gary Battle did apparently take exception to JB saying Tyus couldn't play PG with a tweet that said, "Let me be clear. There is absolutely nothing Tyus Battle cannot do!"

Last edited:
I would say its only a contradiction if you interpret the words literally. I think JB sees the question as, "Why don't you try Battle at the point next game?" And, he is saying look he hasn't been developed as a point guard to this point, we can't simply throw him out there an expect him to succeed in that role.

G had never played the point before we decided to make him at point. But we didn't simply throw him out there at the position in the middle of a game in the middle of the season, it was a process in practice to the point where JB got comfortable that he could play the point.

Well, I guess it's subject to interpretation, as is a lot of things. However, instead of him saying what he did to Axe, etc. he could of simply clarified that in a way as you've suggested rather than to just spew his verbiage in typical JB fashion when somewhat challenged on an arguably valid point.

I realize G was a work in progress, but he did play some at the point in games early on too when 'experimenting' with the premise, prior to him being designated the starting point his senior year. Or, possibly, my recollection is incorrect.

Possibly, but 'ball in his hands' I guess is subject to interpretation. When it's eluded that he'd have the ball in his hands often...certainly it's not outside of the realm to think that may translate to the point, at least in part. Especially, at the time of his recruitment, Howard was an unproven commodity at the position.

I thought these were two of the better questions you've posed to coach in a long time. Kudos on both of them.

Was surprised by how candid he was about the 5th year guys and Frank. Who is he hoping to get to come back? wondering if that hope extends to Frank based on all of the rumors here on the board?

Apparently it hasn't been discussed enough; Sherm was not a McDonald's All American. List of McDonald's All Americans or at least the organizers don't think he was.

I really don't understand the DCII situation. He has only played a minute in conference play. Is he a no go because he physically can't play, or has it been coach's decision not to use him? Has he been practicing? I've had the impression that he has been in uniform suggesting that he is available. I realize that he hasn't performed at nearly the level that we would have hoped or may need, but its shocking to me that he has only played 1 minute over the last 6 games if he has been available. The walk-ons have managed to get into 3 games and accumulate 4 minutes during that stretch. I am not questioning the decision to use him or not, just wondering what to expect from him if anything from here on out?

My interpretation of the DCII thing from what I've read/heard from JB is that he is healthy and available to play. However his movement, agility, jumping ability, etc is not up to his previous levels nor good enough for JB to feel comfortable playing him. JB has said that DC said he feels fine, but his knees have good days and bad days, so there is always some soreness.

Long story made short; He's not able to play at a high enough level to warrant PT against ACC opponents. There may be cases before the end of the year where he gets an opportunity to play, but don't consider him a key piece of the rotation.

The way he treated me last time and has to often.

I've been calling with fair respectful questions. Not BS like some of the calls that are just ridiculous.

I give him more respect than he deserves the way he treats the media and some of his own players!

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching DC at UNC in warmups was a very discouraging thing.

In the layup line he really didn't run and he never tried to dunk the ball as the rest of the bigs did.

In general shoot around he moved around the floor like a 40 year old man. His knees cannot take game speed anymore.

Possibly, but 'ball in his hands' I guess is subject to interpretation. When it's eluded that he'd have the ball in his hands often...certainly it's not outside of the realm to think that may translate to the point, at least in part. Especially, at the time of his recruitment, Howard was an unproven commodity at the position.

That's reasonable. But some posters took it to unreasonable extremes, interpreting it to mean that Battle had been promised that he'd start at point, and wouldn't play anywhere else as a function of that "promise."

Iommi nailed it above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom