The Michigan 'GO BLUE' Banner | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Michigan 'GO BLUE' Banner

The banner was simply stumbled upon. Crisler Arena is right next to the football stadium. The night before the football game, after last call, the group of guys decided to drive by the stadium on the way back to the hotel to simply get a feel for where it was and check out parking. Lights were on in Crisler and a large loading door was open. Parked and walked right into the arena and right onto center court. Wandered around a bit and talked to a few contractors asked why the hell the basketball arena is wide open in the middle of the night they said they were working on the set used for the football coaches show which was filmed in a room there.

Continued walking around and came across something that looked like a big blue tarp folded up. Thought maybe it was something cool so grabbed it, walked out of the arena (it took 3 people to carry) and threw it in the van. Got back to the hotel and unfurled it in the parking lot. It was huge. Had no clue what "Go Blue the M Club Supports You" meant and nobody knew about their tradition. Threw it in the trunk of another car.

Next morning someone is looking through an Ann Arbor area guide or something like that at the hotel and sees a pic of Michigan players running under the sign. The one that is currently locked in the trunk of a car in the parking lot! Turned on the radio and heard that a banner was missing and the university was looking for it. They didn't find it...

Ha! Yes - statute of limitations is up. "Perpetrators" are all well respected members of the CNY community. A couple business owners, a VP, an engineer, teacher, coaches, all are now fathers, married, homeowners, etc.

This is the greatest thing I have ever read on this site. Win.

The banner was simply stumbled upon. Crisler Arena is right next to the football stadium. The night before the football game, after last call, the group of guys decided to drive by the stadium on the way back to the hotel to simply get a feel for where it was and check out parking. Lights were on in Crisler and a large loading door was open. Parked and walked right into the arena and right onto center court. Wandered around a bit and talked to a few contractors asked why the hell the basketball arena is wide open in the middle of the night they said they were working on the set used for the football coaches show which was filmed in a room there.

Continued walking around and came across something that looked like a big blue tarp folded up. Thought maybe it was something cool so grabbed it, walked out of the arena (it took 3 people to carry) and threw it in the van. Got back to the hotel and unfurled it in the parking lot. It was huge. Had no clue what "Go Blue the M Club Supports You" meant and nobody knew about their tradition. Threw it in the trunk of another car.

Next morning someone is looking through an Ann Arbor area guide or something like that at the hotel and sees a pic of Michigan players running under the sign. The one that is currently locked in the trunk of a car in the parking lot! Turned on the radio and heard that a banner was missing and the university was looking for it. They didn't find it...

Ha! Yes - statute of limitations is up. "Perpetrators" are all well respected members of the CNY community. A couple business owners, a VP, an engineer, teacher, coaches, all are now fathers, married, homeowners, etc.

I hope the banner makes an appearance sometime when I'm next up for a game. I'd love to get a photo with it - it still pisses off Michigan fans.

Awesome to hear the REAL details of this story from one of the principals--thanks for sharing!

And great job, you guys!

Thanks for posting. I didn't know this story. Of course I remember us going up 38-0 against Tom Brady (at the time -who?) in the "Big House".

Your brother knows three winners. I love the story.

Shanked extra point, Troy Nunes running 20 yards backwards for a safety, missed no-call pass interference on the last play. That 1999 game was infuriating.
Is that also the game where we got called for uniform infractions? Player's knees weren't covered or some such bs.

I think I know where that picture was taken. The "res"!

I laughed my ass off and just read it to my dad at work. I can't stop chuckling and thinking to myself "suck it Michigan"

I was at the SU v. Michigan game in 98 with some buddies and was at a bar in Ann Arbor a few blocks away from my hotel after the game, and remember a guy walking up to me and saw my SU hat and told me this very story. He told me about Crisler and walking in and putting it in a car. I was pretty drunk but remember him having a shaved head and had some arm injury.

Stories like these are really what make this site so awesome. I can't believe I missed this thread back in August!

Check out the 50 second mark when they run under it, the 30 min 20 second mark when Brent and dan talk about it and how it may show up in a Syracuse frat house and finally the 2 hr 6 minute mark when you can here mine and the voices of thousands of us in this surreal game.

Forgotten and still can't believe that was Brady. He looked ordinary, in fact less than ordinary. What a complete and utter rout. I'm thinking we're on our way back to this!

Last edited: