The most bizarre Final ever... a 7 vs an 8... | Syracusefan.com

The most bizarre Final ever... a 7 vs an 8...

cto

Administrator
I guess anything can happen in the tourney.

It is more or less two teams ranked #30... at the end of the regular season.

Just shows the amazing parity in college hoops these days.

Last edited:
cto said:
I guess anything can happen in the tourney

Is it really that bizarre? I mean Kentucky is just as talented as any other team and Uconn did beat Florida this year so they weren't a slouch.

It's pretty bizarre. It's also indicative of how flat college hoops is. There's virtually no diff between no. 1 and no. 35.
Over a 7 game series, even a 5 and probably a 3 game series there would be but in a gimmicky one and done format, there's not enough difference to seperate anyone.

Anything can happen. UConn should have lost in the first round, but was helped by a few questionable calls. But they have been dynamite since then,

Kentucky has been in battles 4 games in a row, and pulls them off each time. At least Kentucky seems to be taking the best shots from their opponents. I have never seen teams that were better all year fall apart like they have against UConn -- Florida and Michigan St. MSU and Florida tried to see who could have the most brain farts

AZOrange said:
It's pretty bizarre. It's also indicative of how flat college hoops is. There's virtually no diff between no. 1 and no. 35.

We were a 1 and had Kentucky going further than us.

Over a 7 game series, even a 5 and probably a 3 game series there would be but in a gimmicky one and done format, there's not enough difference to seperate anyone.
Well yeah...exactly. That's why the NCAA tourney can't be the end all be all. Are we really willing to put Uconn in duke land?

AZOrange said:
Well yeah...exactly. That's why the NCAA tourney can't be the end all be all. Are we really willing to put Uconn in duke land?

What is the end all be all then? If it's not the tournament it surely isn't beating up and racking up wins against Colgate type teams.

AZOrange said:

Duke land?

You're funny.

When nobody in college hoops is any good, we get 7's vs. 8's.

Reactions: cto
What is the end all be all then? If it's not the tournament it surely isn't beating up and racking up wins against Colgate type teams.
Oh come on. If we're going to discuss let's be adults. We beat up on a lot more than Colgate...if you're going to stick to that I just give up in advance.

It's subjective IMO. And that's why I don't spend a lot of time comparing programs. People that use the tourney yo hammer/vault teams or conferences are just being silly based on one game results. Kansas healthy beats Uconn 9.9 out of 10 times.

unfortunately college basketball is a victim of the underdog. the thing that made it exciting has also killed the sport. college basketball is a boutique sport, and basically no one cares about it because there are no great players and the games are a joke.

Duke land?

You're funny.
Well...I mean if Titles rule... If they win Monday aren't they the same? (Why titles are a silly measure by itself).

Well...I mean if Titles rule... If they win Monday aren't they the same? (Why titles are a silly measure by itself).

Come on. This is something fans say when their team doesn't have many titles. No program in America who has multiple titles would trade places with us. Zero.

AZOrange said:
Oh come on. If we're going to discuss let's be adults. We beat up on a lot more than Colgate...if you're going to stick to that I just give up in advance. It's subjective IMO. And that's why I don't spend a lot of time comparing programs. People that use the tourney yo hammer/vault teams or conferences are just being silly based on one game results. Kansas healthy beats Uconn 9.9 out of 10 times.

Discounting titles directly was the Red Sox thing to do before a few years ago. But in all reality it is important.

I love the Orange and will support them all the time but it's a little crazy that Uconn could have three titles since our last one.

No Melo, no AO, I get it. But I'm sick of excuses, there's no reason would couldn't have at least one in 11 years. We have too much talent and a hall of fame coach.

Come on. This is something fans say when their team doesn't have many titles. No program in America who has multiple titles would trade places with us. Zero.
Ok so duke and Uconn are on the same level program wise? Cuse - Florida are too?

Discounting titles directly was the Red Sox thing to do before a few years ago. But in all reality it is important.

I love the Orange and will support them all the time but it's a little crazy that Uconn could have three titles since our last one.

No Melo, no AO, I get it. But I'm sick of excuses, there's no reason would couldn't have at least one in 11 years. We have too much talent and a hall of fame coach.

Agreed. Especially, when in the last 11 years we've probably been better than them more often than they've been better than us.

yeah if Yukon wins Monday how are they not as good as duke?

First you need to stop comparing professional and collegiate titles. The effects of 5-7 game sets is enormous.

Second, if Uconn wins they would have 2 titles before all but Kentucky and Ville had their last. So what? Uconns coach isn't even the same since the last one. It's just random.

yeah if Yukon wins Monday how are they not as good as duke?
I don't care if they use titles to judge. But if that's the measure they are every bit their equal. Seems a bit odd. I mean if butler had won their 2 games they would be on par program wise with all the giants?

AZOrange said:
First you need to stop comparing professional and collegiate titles. The effects of 5-7 game sets is enormous. Second, if Uconn wins they would have 2 titles before all but Kentucky and Ville had their last. So what? Uconns coach isn't even the same since the last one. It's just random.

Titles are titles, but fine...

I'll just leave it at it doesn't seem very successful with only one final four in the past 11 years.

It's not really even debatable. Every single one of us would trade our last 5 seasons for 4 mediocre ones and 1 Title. Championships are without question the way programs are measured, and rightfully so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom