The most bizarre Final ever... a 7 vs an 8... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The most bizarre Final ever... a 7 vs an 8...

I don't care if they use titles to judge. But if that's the measure they are every bit their equal. Seems a bit odd. I mean if butler had won their 2 games they would be on par program wise with all the giants?
if you want to use abstract ways of judging programs, maybe you could find one by which UConn not the best. but I think by any measurable standard, if UConn wins this title they are the best since mid 90's until now which is a long time.

Anything can happen. UConn should have lost in the first round, but was helped by a few questionable calls. But they have been dynamite since then,

Kentucky has been in battles 4 games in a row, and pulls them off each time. At least Kentucky seems to be taking the best shots from their opponents. I have never seen teams that were better all year fall apart like they have against UConn -- Florida and Michigan St. MSU and Florida tried to see who could have the most brain farts
Maybe, but at somepoint you have give them credit. ISU had a legit shot of beating them but they really needed Niang; but MSU, Florida and Nova looked completely lost. But when you say 4 teams played their worst game of the year vs. UConn, you'd have to look at the common denominator and give them their due.

The ones that counted?

Oh. You're one of those fans.

Carry on, then.

If all those Cuse-UConn matchups didn't count, somebody forgot to tell the players and coaches.

OrangeDW said:
Oh. You're one of those fans. Carry on, then. If all those Cuse-UConn matchups didn't count, somebody forgot to tell the players and coaches.

Aren't we like 10-10 in our last 20 against them or something like that?

Carry on, then.

If all those Cuse-UConn matchups didn't count, somebody forgot to tell the players and coaches.

Funny. So you wouldn't trade every H2H win against them for their soon to be 3 additional Titles? Riiiiiight.

Carry on, then.

BTW - what was our record vs. UConn in 2003? Which season did you enjoy more, that one, or 2009?

Funny. So you wouldn't trade every H2H win against them for their soon to be 3 additional Titles? Riiiiiight.

Didn't say that. I took issue with the "we're not on their level" stuff.

OrangeDW said:
Didn't say that. I took issue with the "we're not on their level" stuff.

Titlewise were not though. It's unfortunate but true.

\
Titlewise were not though. It's unfortunate but true.

In a one and done format where literally a couple of plays make up the difference, I can't go solely with that as the one and only parameter. They've won the tournament a couple more times than us, which sucks and I certainly want it to change.

All this other stuff...pretty dramatic to me.

Aren't we like 10-10 in our last 20 against them or something like that?
why don't you just go over to the boneyard and yuk it up with them?

pearl31 said:
why don't you just go over to the boneyard and yuk it up with them?

Why don't you add something productive rather than follow me around and trash me.

I'm a Syracuse fan through and through, but if somebody doesn't want to use facts in their argument then why can't it be brought up?

I'll take 3 titles and 700 wins from JB, you must rather have the 900 and counting with one title.

Why don't you add something productive rather than follow me around and trash me.

I'm a Syracuse fan through and through, but if somebody doesn't want to use facts in their argument then why can't it be brought up?

I'll take 3 titles and 700 wins from JB, you must rather have the 900 and counting with one title.
hard to not "follow you around" when your @assinine posts are in every thread.
seriously, go find another team.

What a bizarre example of a hijacked thread. I thought the idea of a 7 vs 8 match was seriously fascinating. But it turned into another nasty UConn-centric thread. Maybe I should just give up.

What was the purpose of you asking if we're 10-10 against UConn in the last 20?

If we're even with them over such a large number of games...aren't we, "on their level"?

OrangeDW said:
What was the purpose of you asking if we're 10-10 against UConn in the last 20? If we're even with them over such a large number of games...aren't we, "on their level"?

That's what I'm wondering on what's the playing field when it comes to their level. Head to head, championships? Is it that crazy of a question?

pearl31 said:
hard to not "follow you around" when your @assinine posts are in every thread. seriously, go find another team.

Use the ignore feature. That's why it's there. Go high five the guys with the posts and let real discussions go on with the adults.

That's what I'm wondering on what's the playing field when it comes to their level. Head to head, championships? Is it that crazy of a question?

No, I was just trying to figure out what angle you were coming from.

Obviously having more titles give them an edge over us. But were still on the "same level"(last time I type those words, I promise) in my opinion. Weird things happen in the tournament. Their 2011 team wasn't really even a good team. Our 2012 team was way better, but didn't win the tournament. Our 2013 team was better.

We're better than them this year too, yet we got knocked out and they're in the championship.

My question is, where were these teams all season?

No, I was just trying to figure out what angle you were coming from.

Obviously having more titles give them an edge over us. But were still on the "same level"(last time I type those words, I promise) in my opinion. Weird things happen in the tournament. Their 2011 team wasn't really even a good team. Our 2012 team was way better, but didn't win the tournament. Our 2013 team was better.

We're better than them this year too, yet we got knocked out and they're in the championship.
We were better than them until February.

I guess anything can happen in the tourney.

It is more or less two teams ranked #30... at the end of the regular season.

Just shows the amazing parity in college hoops these days.

It is bizarre. Kentucky has 10 losses, UConn was run out of the gym by Louisville 3 times. Here are some stats about this final from Yahoo Sports showing what an epic long shot the whole scenario is:

"Consider this: Of the millions who filled out brackets on Yahoo Sports, only 486 picked the correct final – 7th-seeded UConn vs. 8th-seeded Kentucky (a 74-73 winner over Wisconsin). Since 1985, at least a No. 1, 2 or 3 seed has been in every single final. Before this year, the highest combined total of seeds in a final was 11 in 2011: UConn (3) vs. Butler (8)."

And because these teams are perennial powers, even though they are higher seeds, the whole Cinderella/underdog appeal goes out the window. Will be interesting to see the final ratings, but I think this tournament has been a show as far as appealing to national viewers. So many of the compelling matchups and storylines were replaced by mediocre play allowing any team to stay in the game to the last possession, with the neighborhood bullies (at least from a national perspective) the only 2 left standing.

It is bizarre. Kentucky has 10 losses, UConn was run out of the gym by Louisville 3 times. Here are some stats about this final from Yahoo Sports showing what an epic long shot the whole scenario is:

"Consider this: Of the millions who filled out brackets on Yahoo Sports, only 486 picked the correct final – 7th-seeded UConn vs. 8th-seeded Kentucky (a 74-73 winner over Wisconsin). Since 1985, at least a No. 1, 2 or 3 seed has been in every single final. Before this year, the highest combined total of seeds in a final was 11 in 2011: UConn (3) vs. Butler (8)."

And because these teams are perennial powers, even though they are higher seeds, the whole Cinderella/underdog appeal goes out the window. Will be interesting to see the final ratings, but I think this tournament has been a show as far as appealing to national viewers. So many of the compelling matchups and storylines were replaced by mediocre play allowing any team to stay in the game to the last possession, with the neighborhood bullies (at least from a national perspective) the only 2 left standing.
I'm shocked that many had the final. Shows you how buffets bet is won so easily in the first couple rounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom