The NCAA should just go to 128 and drop the NIT | Syracusefan.com

The NCAA should just go to 128 and drop the NIT

rstone7727

All Conference
I have always taken an interest in the NIT and always will as long as I'm able. But the NCAA could avoid much of the controversy about not getting selected by expanding to 128 teams. Let's face it, most teams after the top 128 are happy the season is over anyhow.

There are a lot of teams besides SU that are disappointed.. Why is one more round such a problem?

Edit: You would also eliminate this idiotic play in game..

Why not? There are a number of teams in the NIT that could do damage in the NCAA. What's the downside?

Why just open it up to every d1 school, we could start it in Jan, and just forget about the regular season, that way everyone gets a bid.

64 1st Round Games.

16 1st Round sites needed.

4 more TV networks.[/QUOTE]

Not "networks", you only need 4 more game crews.

Why just open it up to every d1 school, we could start it in Jan, and just forget about the regular season, that way everyone gets a bid.

Nah, then you are talking about teams that have horrible records and can't wait for the season to be over. 128 is only one more game!

Why not? There are a number of teams in the NIT that could do damage in the NCAA. What's the downside?

Over Exposure - Cheapening the tournament and regular season.

Obviously the counter is that it did not happen before when it expanded. But there may be that threshold.

Nah, then you are talking about teams that have horrible records and can't wait for the season to be over. 128 is only one more game!

You would be taking teams with a losing record, to fill spots. I can't deal with team 129 who is 14-18 complaining about not getting a bid.

That's what the conference tournaments are for. I think it should be expanded by 32 more teams (in actuality only 28 since we are already +4) and the top 32 teams get a first round bye. That way it is only one extra round of games (which already is taking place with the four play in games).

You would be taking teams with a losing record, to fill spots. I can't deal with team 129 who is 14-18 complaining about not getting a bid.

Can't imagine that type of team complaining, they would not realistically have a chance to do much damage.

Since most conferences send their tournament champs to the dance, in effect the dance is open to all schools with the first rounds in the conference tournaments.

That's what the conference tournaments are for. I think it should be expanded by 32 more teams (in actuality only 28 since we are already +4) and the top 32 teams get a first round bye. That way it is only one extra round of games (which already is taking place with the four play in games).

This also makes sense. Give all the teams that think they are "all that" a chance to prove it.

I have always taken an interest in the NIT and always will as long as I'm able. But the NCAA could avoid much of the controversy about not getting selected by expanding to 128 teams. Let's face it, most teams after the top 128 are happy the season is over anyhow.

There are a lot of teams besides SU that are disappointed.. Why is one more round such a problem?

Jimmy, shouldn't you be prepping for Tuesday's game?

The NCAA almost went to 96 when they did their last TV deal with CBS/Turner.
The compromise was 68.

Please no more expansion. We did it to ourselves. Win more games don't give coaches more of a reason to be passive make them schedule aggressively.

Go to 72. Give the top 8 a bye. Or just have 8 play in games all day Tuesday and Wednesday.

We already have an open tournament. It's called championship week with the league tournaments. We had our chance and lost to Miami.

Our fearless leader speaks (2010)

Boeheim: We need more teams in NCAA basketball tournament - CNN.com

CNN: What's the right amount of teams for the NCAA tournament?

Jim Boeheim: I don't know if there is right amount. My issue is the last eight teams selected for the tournament by the committee are going to look just like the eight that are left out, and those are going to be teams that win 22-23 games.

CNN: Do you think 96 teams would be too many?

Boeheim: I'm not as concerned with the number, just that we need expansion. Even if we expand to 96 teams, if 32 teams get byes and the other 64 played, after one weekend you'd be down to 64, and they'd be the 64 best.

CNN: Do you think more teams would reduce the importance of regular-season games and conference tournaments?

Boeheim: No. You are still going to have to be pretty good to get in, even if we go to 96 teams. There are 350 teams overall, so 96 is only a little over 25 percent. The players would still play very hard all season.

CNN: North Carolina coach Roy Williams says making the tournament should be hard. What's the reason for making it easier?

Boeheim: With all respect to coach Williams, how hard should it be? If you just want the "best," take the top eight teams and go play. Right now, with the 34 at-large bids to the tournament, the last eight, 10, 12 teams left out are equal to those that were picked. And all of them are good teams.

CNN: Wouldn't you have the same issue if you expand to 96 teams?

Boeheim: I wouldn't be as concerned because the 97th and below teams would be 16- or 17-win teams. This year, 22-win teams won't go to the tournament.

CNN: What do you say to opponents who think the current field with 65 teams (with one play-in game) is the "perfect" amount?

Boeheim: We've expanded many times over the years. We could have stopped at 16, 32, or 48 teams; all those were good tournaments

The only reason we are at 65 now is because it fits into three weekends. We had 250 teams when we expanded to 64. Now we have over 350 and more teams that are competitive than ever before.

CNN: Is this just a way to make more money from the TV networks?

Boeheim: Any expansion has to be financially viable, otherwise we'll stick with the 65. It's not going to expand if it doesn't make sense financially.

CNN: What about the millions of fans who would have to learn how to fill out the bigger brackets in their pools?

Boeheim: If we're going to do something based on the sheet, we're the most ignorant culture on the face of the Earth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom