The Next Syracuse Head Coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Next Syracuse Head Coach

Hypothetically, what if Gross fires HCSS after BC, hires Campbell away from Toledo, and then Campbell fails miserably at SU?

This reminds me of the way the Big East used to serve as a great stepping stone for talented coaches with little or no HC experience:

Mark Dantonio
Brian Kelly
Butch Jones
Doug Marrone
Bobby Petrino (before Arkansas)
Charlie Strong
Rich Rodriguez
Dana Holgerson
Todd Graham
Paul Chryst
Randy Edsall
Greg Schiano

I only went back about 10 years on this. Does Big East football being eviscerated from the Big East diminish the opportunities for inexperienced coaches to develop?

Whoah. No way.

I'm not giving up on Shafer/Lester yet - but if we switch gears towards an offensive minded coach finally - I don't want to see GT style crap.
Given the general distaste we've shown for our Dome advantage, it makes perfect sense to just accept that we should negate it entirely and exclusively run the ball.

It would be a great identity. Northeast meathead. If we're going to adopt it, yeah, we need to go full Northeast meathead.

Rautins07 said:
I still prefer good defense to sling all around offense. A very good defense will always beat a gimmick offense, that is why Oregon can never get over the hump. Don't get me wrong I would kill for Oregon's success but I don't think they will win a NC. I would like to see a balanced offense with a solid run game that gives the ball to 1 main back. I would like to see Lester have a chance, changing coaches does not guarantee instant success or success at all, what we pay will not get a big name and a coordinator will use it as a stepping stone. If Holgerson came, I would quit following the program!

You would quit following the program if Holgorsen came? Really!?!?!? We have such a passionate fan base.

Also, Oregon is very balanced on offense. And they are going to moonwalk into the playoffs. As good a shot to win it all as anyone.

Given the general distaste we've shown for our Dome advantage, it makes perfect sense to just accept that we should negate it entirely and exclusively run the ball.

It would be a great identity. Northeast meathead. If we're going to adopt it, yeah, we need to go full Northeast meathead.
Exactly! Having winning seasons but never really great ones, go to a bowl every year, play boring football before about 30,000 in the dome and have everyone hates us instead of ridiculing us. Big improvement over being Wake Forrest's bitch in a few years. I am sick of losing.

You would quit following the program if Holgorsen came? Really!?!?!? We have such a passionate fan base.

Also, Oregon is very balanced on offense. And they are going to moonwalk into the playoffs. As good a shot to win it all as anyone.
I just love when people point to an offense and say you can't win a championship playing that way. As if that's our focus.

We need to learn how to fight our way out of a paper bag, but sure let's base our choice of offense on if we think we can win a championship with it.

Hypothetically, what if Gross fires HCSS after BC, hires Campbell away from Toledo, and then Campbell fails miserably at SU?
You mean like how Shafer is doing now?

This reminds me of the way the Big East used to serve as a great stepping stone for talented coaches with little or no HC experience:

Mark Dantonio
Brian Kelly
Butch Jones
Doug Marrone
Bobby Petrino (before Arkansas)
Charlie Strong
Rich Rodriguez
Dana Holgerson
Todd Graham
Paul Chryst
Randy Edsall
Greg Schiano

I only went back about 10 years on this. Does Big East football being eviscerated from the Big East diminish the opportunities for inexperienced coaches to develop?
I'm not sure what your point is here but I'd rather hire an ascending coach who uses SU to further his career than stick with a loser like Shafer who's already proven his incompetence.

Exactly! Having winning seasons but never really great ones, go to a bowl every year, play boring football before about 30,000 in the dome and have everyone hates us instead of ridiculing us. Big improvement over being Wake Forrest's bitch in a few years. I am sick of losing.
The sad thing is I think it's way more likely if we go the odd offense route that we would pick some type of multiple option running offense than an air based attack.

#ignoretheDome

OttoinGrotto said:
I just love when people point to an offense and say you can't win a championship playing that way. As if that's our focus. We need to learn how to fight our way out of a paper bag, but sure let's base our choice of offense on if we think we can win a championship with it.

Alabama's D >>>>> Oregon's offense. So we should just do that.

Meanwhile we haven't exited September undefeated in 23 years.

You mean like how Shafer is doing now?

I'm not sure what your point is here but I'd rather hire an ascending coach who uses SU to further his career than stick with a loser like Shafer who's already proven his incompetence.

That's pretty easy for you to say. If Campbell ends up being worse than HCSS what would that prove? Certainly, next season SU will be more experienced at the QB position and hopefully healthy to boot. I would expect any coach to be primed to have more success next year at SU on offense than what could reasonably have been expected this season after the Louisville game.

I think the coaching track right now is missing a step that used to be very helpful for developing coaches. Or maybe the Big East was just really lucky the last 10 years with hiring HCs. I think the Big East coaching tree over that time span outshines some of the P5 conferences.

Bring in Mike Norvell as the head coach and lets throw the ball all over the dome. We have done the ground and pound for decades now and it doesn't work. We need to change the way we think and the way we do things. Open up the check book and open up the offense and sign Norvell and the fans will fill the dome for a .500 team. Keep it the same and the fans will not show up because nobody wants to watch a boring .500 football team.

I'm still not convinced that playing indoors creates an advantage - the defense benefits from the good conditions as well. I can believe that it makes it easier to throw and catch, which only speaks to one style of offense versus the other, not either vs. defense.

Dr. Bill said:
Georgia, SEC offensive coordinator, we can't afford a guy like this.

We'll pay for someone worth it. Just because we don't pay Shafer doesn't mean we wouldn't pay someone else.

Bring in Mike Norvell as the head coach and lets throw the ball all over the dome. We have done the ground and pound for decades now and it doesn't work. We need to change the way we think and the way we do things. Open up the check book and open up the offense and sign Norvell and the fans will fill the dome for a .500 team. Keep it the same and the fans will not show up because nobody wants to watch a boring .500 football team.

Ground and Pound, what team are you watching?

PJ Fleck. HC Western Michigan

Normally I prefer a guy go through one full cycle (4 years) to make sure he is the real deal. But that was a heck of a turnaround that he pulled off at Western Michigan this year. I had no idea he got them to 8-3. I saw them against Iowa his first year and they were just awful so he did a heck of a job this year. Sounds like he is really good in the community and getting the fan base energized also based on his Wikipedia page. I do worry about NE recruiting ties though.

Normally I prefer a guy go through one full cycle (4 years) to make sure he is the real deal. But that was a heck of a turnaround that he pulled off at Western Michigan this year. I had no idea he got them to 8-3. I saw them against Iowa his first year and they were just awful so he did a heck of a job this year. Sounds like he is really good in the community and getting the fan base energized also based on his Wikipedia page. I do worry about NE recruiting ties though.
Here is another thing that stands out to me.

On the sidelines he goes up and down and firing his players up with chest bumps etc. but when you make a dumb play, watch out. I think Syracuse needs a young coach that can bring excitement to the program. This team is not (3-8) bad, Shafer needs to be shown the door.

OttoinGrotto said:
Gonna keep saying it.

Bobby Wilder.

I might rather have Gene Wilder than our current staff.

tumblr_lww68fZeFj1qmu4cmo1_500.gif

He's our Huckleberry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom