The Punt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Punt

Also, in SU football history I can't remember there being a game where the opposing player that dominated us the most was the punter. He was the MVP of the game by a mile.
That kid probably saves Rutgers from 7-10 points every game. He’s been their best player for years

It's just unintelligent football and a lack of situational awareness. We were down 10 with 4th and 10 on their 40 yard line with 7 minutes left.

If we're way deep in our own territory, yes you probably punt. If we're down one score, yes you probably punt. If it's 4th and something insane like 20, yes you probably punt. If there's say 12 minutes left, yes you probably punt.

But in that situation, it was such a stupid overly conservative decision. Even if we hold them to a 3 and out, we're likely killing three precious minutes off the clock which we can't afford to lose. The margin of error basically disappears.

I honestly would have rather Andre attempted a 57 yard field goal to cut it to one score than punt that.
Dino wanted to beat the traffic and by making that punt call he gave everyone in the building a reason to head for the exits.

Dino wanted to beat the traffic and by making that punt call he gave everyone in the building a reason to head for the exits.

On the 2nd part of that point, that was when a bunch of people left and they were not happy. We sit right next to the tunnel, a lot of grumbling about that punt call.

If Dino truly believes that punting gives him the best chance of winning, then fine. But if, like he said, it's a 50/50 call, then maybe he should go aggressive and try to preserve whatever segment of the fanbase is left.

May sound dumb, but from his own words it's a flip of a coin call to make anyway.

On the 2nd part of that point, that was when a bunch of people left and they were not happy. We sit right next to the tunnel, a lot of grumbling about that punt call.

If Dino truly believes that punting gives him the best chance of winning, then fine. But if, like he said, it's a 50/50 call, then maybe he should go aggressive and try to preserve whatever segment of the fanbase is left.

May sound dumb, but from his own words it's a flip of a coin call to make anyway.
To be fair, I don't think I have ever heard a fan say "We should have punted." or "Good decision to punt there must believe in his defense."

My question is…at what point does Cuse Athletics start losing money on this guy?

If we don’t go 1-10 last season we have 30K plus for that game.

I brought a couple with us to the game. They had a fantastic pregame experience, loved the fine mess tailgate, loved the new upgrade of the dome. Almost had them convinced on buying seasons…

And then we played like stale fish the whole game and the punt was the icing on the cake. They literally said “why would we buy seasons to watch a coach who doesn’t want to win.”

Not good Dino. Belief without evidence is over. We have no belief because we have the evidence that says we aren’t good and he’s not a good HC

To be fair, I don't think I have ever heard a fan say "We should have punted." or "Good decision to punt there must believe in his defense."

Probably true, but you're on their side of the field, down 10 with just under 8 minutes left.

20 yards of field position just doesn't seem as important at point, so yeah the fans are going to play their almost always used go for it card.

Probably true, but you're on their side of the field, down 10 with just under 8 minutes left.

You’re probably losing no matter what.

Going for it isn’t costing the game at this point, it’s almost too far gone.

You HAVE to go for it in that situation.

I don’t even think it’s 50/50 like he said.

You go for it there and try to live another day

It's just unintelligent football and a lack of situational awareness. We were down 10 with 4th and 10 on their 40 yard line with 7 minutes left.

If we're way deep in our own territory, yes you probably punt. If we're down one score, yes you probably punt. If it's 4th and something insane like 20, yes you probably punt. If there's say 12 minutes left, yes you probably punt.

But in that situation, it was such a stupid overly conservative decision. Even if we hold them to a 3 and out, we're likely killing three precious minutes off the clock which we can't afford to lose. The margin of error basically disappears.

I honestly would have rather Andre attempted a 57 yard field goal to cut it to one score than punt that.

I actually didn't have a problem with that punt, given the huge difference in the efficiency of our offense and defense. Down 10 with 7 minutes left, we had a shot at getting the ball back in the same area of the field with most of that left with a three and out. We hadn't been making 3rd or 4th and long the whole game.

The punt I wondered about was sending Barker in try what it was they were going to try and seeing him punch it up the chimney for +8 yards.

The kid outkicks his coverage every time, but the ball is so tough to field you almost just have to let it go. Wild

Matt Park said that on his punts, "the ball had knives sticking out of it".

My question is…at what point does Cuse Athletics start losing money on this guy?

If we don’t go 1-10 last season we have 30K plus for that game.

I brought a couple with us to the game. They had a fantastic pregame experience, loved the fine mess tailgate, loved the new upgrade of the dome. Almost had them convinced on buying seasons…

And then we played like stale fish the whole game and the punt was the icing on the cake. They literally said “why would we buy seasons to watch a coach who doesn’t want to win.”

Not good Dino. Belief without evidence is over. We have no belief because we have the evidence that says we aren’t good and he’s not a good HC
With the awesome weather, dreading of anticipated entry snafus, and the expected poor product, a number of tailgaters In our lot were debating whether it was worth it to go in or just stay tailgating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom