the punt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

the punt

I think we should run a punt/pass option with Dixon every 4th down. Put a lot of air under it. Decent chance at penalty, INT, or catch. 2 of which are good and one bad but similar to a punt.

Seriously.

if your opponents become better on offense because they get smarter on fourth down, that's all the more reason to try keep the ball. better opposing offenses lower the needed breakeven odds of your own conversion
Touche

I think we should run a punt/pass option with Dixon every 4th down. Put a lot of air under it. Decent chance at penalty, INT, or catch. 2 of which are good and one bad but similar to a punt.

Seriously.

Better yet - punt/pass/leap triple option. Assume you meant letting Riley call it depending on their look. Hmmm.

Yegorange said:
Better yet - punt/pass/leap triple option. Assume you meant letting Riley call it depending on their look. Hmmm.

Better option. Treat all downs like 4th down and come out in punt formation. Pretty much guarantees three things:

1. One dude is out of the play standing 50 yds away.

2. Dixon wins the Heisman.

3. Shafer feels great about his defense.

I started off against the punt on Saturday, then I changed it this morning to more towards the middle and now I'm against it again. Gosh I suck at sports message boards. I'm too easily swayed. I'm never going to get into a good peeing match at this rate.

I started off against the punt on Saturday, then I changed it this morning to more towards the middle and now I'm against it again. Gosh I suck at sports message boards. I'm too easily swayed. I'm never going to get into a good peeing match at this rate.
IT'S CALLED A PISSING MATCH, NOT PEEING MATCH, YOU DUMMY!!!!11!11!!!11!!!

;)

i agree but i would've been fine with them running or chucking one up. the odds of getting the ball back from them twice in less than 6 minutes are worse than their crappy odds of completing a pass

I'm always a fan in college of just throwing the ball up in situations like that. It's so easy to get a PI call. Plus opposing players are too stat happy/football dumb to knock the ball down, they always go for the pick, which means then you just punted anyway (but tried). We should do it on 3rd and long as well. Whenever I see 3rd and 20, and an offense runs a draw, it's just so dumb.

Of course, with those refs, they could have picked up our WR and thrown him into the 3rd row while the ball was in the air. We would have received an offensive PI call for not landing in the field of play.

Seriously.
I've long been supportive of setting up in punt formation in those situations with the guy that can throw the farthest lined up as punter, and just bombing away.

If that's Dixon, so be it.

I've long been supportive of setting up in punt formation in those situations with the guy that can throw the farthest lined up as punter, and just bombing away.

If that's Dixon, so be it.

Then why set up in punt formation at all? Just go empty and bomb away with a bailout option of a "quick" kick by the QB. Or a run option depending on distance and coverage. Punting is for wusses.

Then why set up in punt formation at all? Just go empty and bomb away with a bailout option of a "quick" kick by the QB. Or a run option depending on distance and coverage. Punting is for wusses.
I'm fine with that. Mostly I'm thinking you have them way back so there's very little risk of a sack. Just catch it and heave it.

Punting was the right call. Put it in the hands of our best playmaker.

and if we go for it and don't make the first down everyone still complains on the board

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom