The reason we have 5 losses | Syracusefan.com

The reason we have 5 losses

Shaggy1

2nd String
We have zero run game. Cut it up anyway you want. Breakdown 1000 different stats. None of it matters when you can't gain 3.5 per carry. This offense is made to score 40 points a game and if not for the legs of ED we wouldn't be averaging over 14 per game. From a die hard orange fan, the pay Dino campaign isn't valid until we can run the ball. Our running game is the worst in college football. It's the only difference between 9 wins and 4 wins right now.

actually we have 5 losses because in 5 games the other team has outscored our team and as a team we have shot ourselves in the foot

actually we have 5 losses because in 5 games the other team has outscored our team and as a team we have shot ourselves in the foot
No S... But any resemblance of a run game and we are a dominant team. Our run offense is pitiful. Worst running game I have witnessed as an SU fan.

No S... But any resemblance of a run game and we are a dominant team. Our run offense is pitiful. Worst running game I have witnessed as an SU fan.

i wouldnt say dominant as we are below most teams on talent, our schemes help some but the reason we can't run is we are facing a talent gap along the line

i wouldnt say dominant as we are below most teams on talent, our schemes help some but the reason we can't run is we are facing a talent gap along the line
I don't buy the talented gap on the line. Rewatch the Clemson game and Miami game. Many of our runs that were positive were pre-determined. We had drive blocks that actually looked like they were supposed to take place. I've watched every game at least 3 times. This game and the first games were all zone blocking with pass run option. It's not solid. Sometimes you just need to run the ball and block for a run. Our QB had more time in the last couple games than the opposing QB. I don't think it's a talent gap. It's a blocking scheme and overall scheme issue. The run pass or ED keep it option does not give our backs enough time to read holes and adjust because the ball fake or take option takes too long to develop with run pass option blocking.

Season tickets

Just casually looking back to our 2007 35-0 beat down via Iowa looks like we had around 56 yards rushing... our definition of witnessed must be different. The lack of a consistent running game is no doubt frustrating so I get it, but saying things are worse than gergish times is simply not even close to being true.

Just casually looking back to our 2007 35-0 beat down via Iowa looks like we had around 56 yards rushing... our definition of witnessed must be different. The lack of a consistent running game is no doubt frustrating so I get it, but saying things are worse than gergish times is simply not even close to being true.
Pretty close

2007: 375 attempts for 753 yards and 5 TDs. 2.0 ypc, 62.3 Ypg

2017: 333 attempts for 1286 yards and 12 TDs. 3.9 ypc, 160.8 ypg

Not even close. Let’s never bring up the GRob era in any kinds of comparisons ever again. Nothing will ever be close to that bad again.

Strickland - 109 for 403 - 3.7 ypc.
Neal - 42 for 196 - 4.7 ypc

Brinkley: 111 for 371 - 3.3 ypc.
Hogue: 77 for 251 - 3.3 ypc

Last edited:

Not even close. Let’s never bring up the GRob era in any kinds of comparisons ever again. Nothing will ever be close to that bad again.
Okay. No Grob. But as I originally stated. Show me 1000 different stat breakdowns. It doesn't matter. Our run game is horrible and I don't think it's a talent gap. Something in our scheme is not right.

Okay. No Grob. But as I originally stated. Show me 1000 different stat breakdowns. It doesn't matter. Our run game is horrible and I don't think it's a talent gap. Something in our scheme is not right.

I edited and included the primary RB’s. 2017 still solidly better - with less talented RB’s.

Strickland - 109 for 403 - 3.7 ypc.
Neal - 42 for 196 - 4.7 ypc

Brinkley: 111 for 371 - 3.3 ypc.
Hogue: 77 for 251 - 3.3 ypc

That sounds about right. Worst offense I've seen at any level.

Just to be clear. I think Dino is amazing and the best thing that could have happened to the orange. But this rushing scheme minus ED at any other school in the ACC would not be acceptable.

Sorry but you’re delusional if you believe what you just wrote.
Not at all. The difference that you are showing is inches when we are taking about the running backs run game. Don't point to the rushing yards per game because those extra 100 yards per game are Dungey and half those are one non designed runs.

Not at all. The difference that you are showing is inches when we are taking about the running backs run game. Don't point to the rushing yards per game because those extra 100 yards per game are Dungey and half those are one non designed runs.

But our RB’s this year have significantly better yards per carry averages. They still aren’t good, but not nearly as bad as 2007. And a lot of those Dungey runs are designed too and part of the offense. It counts.

We have zero run game. Cut it up anyway you want. Breakdown 1000 different stats. None of it matters when you can't gain 3.5 per carry. This offense is made to score 40 points a game and if not for the legs of ED we wouldn't be averaging over 14 per game. From a die hard orange fan, the pay Dino campaign isn't valid until we can run the ball. Our running game is the worst in college football. It's the only difference between 9 wins and 4 wins right now.

Your observation isn't exactly unique or novel. In fact it's been pointed out by others on this board all year.

It's just the hyperbolic way you make your case to which people are reacting.

Your core point is correct: if we had a better running game, we would not have five losses this year.

We've also gone up against about 5 of the top 10 preseason D-lines.

That's not the entire gap in our performance vs. where it should be, but the competition accounts for a lot of it.

The read option is completely ineffective because our interior lineman have no ability to sustain blocks. They are too young/light/beat up/etc and by the time the QB has made his read, they are 2-3 yards into the back field. I suspect that in a year or two, they will be more physically prepared and the run game will improve. Otherwise, I don't understand why they don't try a more traditional style run game? Why keep doing something that doesn't work?

We have 5 losses because: @NCST, @LSU, @FSU, @Miami

MTSU the former HC got in the kids heads

That's why.

Five losses by an average of one score. 35 total points.

Outside of yesterday, the run game had shown some serious improvement last few games.

As others have said. We are knocking on the door. Just need to figure out how to win consistently.

Win out and you are 7-5 heading to bowl. Something I think we will do.

I guess you are ignoring Dungey's yardage.
Nothing wrong with the scheme, just need more experience. Every genius out there said the defensive scheme wouldn't work and that is demonstrably wrong.
This the ACC, not the Big East we haven't closed the EXPERIENCED talent gap yet. But we will.

Our run scheme is definitely not where it needs to be. We rely too much on Dungey and we dont have any run plays where we can almost garauntee 3 or 4 yards. If we don't have Dungey in the game our run game might be that much worse. The reason why Strick and Moe has the yards they have is because of the threat of Dungey running. You take away him and our average yard per carry drops significantly at the RB position.

Last edited:
that's why i'm optimistic - when we get a real running back, we're looking at something special. we know this rushing offense works, there's plenty of evidence everywhere it's run. we just are unusually bad at running back right now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom