The Recipe for Winning | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Recipe for Winning

In addition to Cole hitting shots that takes pressure off Buddy & Joe (both mental pressure and defensive pressure), I think an under-discussed key to our shooting percentage the past few games has been pushing the tempo.

Syracuse teams of old used to get a lot of fast break points (often off of steals/deflections in the zone). That hasn't happened much the past few years, but Symir typically pushes the tempo when he comes in and it seems Joe has gotten the memo as well. Helps that the zone seems to be more active and is getting more steals/deflections too.
They wanted Cole to be more aggressive shooting all along, but he was hesitant to take shots because I believe he thought he would be taking shots away from Buddy. That my sound weak, but everybody saw what Buddy can do in the NCAA's last year and for a guy who wasn't a starter coming into a new team, I can see how that would affect him. After the loses to Duke and Pitt, it appears that it got through to him that if he doesn't shoot, they will lose games and has freed him up.

You are fascinating case in trolling. You can look it up yourself because- folks on here are not your secretaries.

Here is a hint- 16-17 had two higher volume 3pt shooters and 2 medium volume. It's almost the same for this year except it's 3 and 1. That isn't all that relevant - and statistically insignificant to the point that the aggregation of shooters is the point. That was what you called out. Except you missed the fact it was 4 outside shooters on each team, not 3.

Your question or attempt to still poorly prove your point is way out of bounds. How a guy shoots in college is not representative of how he shoots it the pros. It's a different game- feel free to prove your opinion with numbers on that as well.

Battle didn't have a great Jr year and his shot was worse. He shot 32 pct from 3 and overall just struggled to shoot. Those kinda guys don't get drafted. But that has absolutely nothing to do with this given its unlikely any of this year's shooters are going to play at the next level. Not a one gets drafted higher than Lydon did- guarantee that.

Prove your point with numbers- that is your Sunday challenge.

BTW- Jessie's offense is a huge part of this year's team. 16-17 was more 3 pt reliant than this year.
Drew was an equal shooter to Buddy, Joe and Cole from distance and James is near 40% himself. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Drew was an equal shooter to Buddy, Joe and Cole from distance and James is near 40% himself. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Riveting. At least in Couscous world you are convinced your points are accurate.

Love the numerical analysis you added. Was that in invisible ink?

For the record this year is the best collection of shooters since 16-17. That is the facts. Anything else is opinion- not supported by any numbers or facts.

Riveting. At least in Couscous world you are convinced your points are accurate.

Love the numerical analysis you added. Was that in invisible ink?
Nobody who watches any amount of college basketball would argue that Lydon and Battle were elite distance shooters. Gillon could shoot, but still wouldn't say he was an elite 3 point shooter.

Nobody who watches any amount of college basketball would argue that Lydon and Battle were elite distance shooters. Gillon could shoot, but still wouldn't say he was an elite 3 point shooter.

Numbers > Words

I watch a lot. I also don't move goalposts.

Last i knew 35 pct , 38 pct and 37 pct wasn't elite... that is a late game addition by you to this conversation. Let's stick to the original reference point.

Last edited:
they key to this team is keeping the pace up so that more good shots get taken and less bogged down tough shots get taken. sure it helps when they go in.. But the Duke game we got tons of open looks and nothing fell.

what hurts this team is the lack of enough D to win games when the shooting is off.. Virg wins 5-6 games that way. we get too many fouls called with our rotation in those sluggest type games

Coach Boeheim has been right all along; we just need to make shots. Syracuse is 9-0 when shooting over 50% from the floor.

Now, obviously most teams win when they make more than half their shots but having done so 9 times this year is a statement. I'm just not so sure it's a statement about our offensive abilities. When we've played teams notable for their defense, and there haven't been many (Villanova, Auburn, VCU, Virginia), it hasn't been pretty.

Thankfully, the ACC is soft this year. So, let's drop the notion that this team is playing any differently than when we got torched by Colgate. If you want to look ahead and play the guessing game with what our record is before the ACC tournament, all you have to do is assess the opponent on whether or not they pride themselves on defense or if they'd rather outshoot their opponent (i.e. the same as our mentality). Here's how I think it plays out:

Louisville [W]
@ Boston College [L]
@ Virginia Tech [L]
Boston College [W]
Georgia Tech [W]
@ Notre Dame [L]
Duke [L]
@ North Carolina [W]
Miami [W]

Admittedly, this isn't hard to imagine since it projects a .500 pct Team winning roughly 50% of their remaining games, with one more home loss and one road win. Let's just be thankful we're not in a conference like the Big East anymore where a team like Georgetown, who beat us, can't get a win because their defense isn't up to par.
It has driven me nuts when JB has said that because in those instances, it’s been mostly CYO-like iso-ball to get bad shots.

The ball movement in the first 7 1/2 minutes yesterday was incredible. And with that, came better, more confident shots.

Against teams that don't have an answer for Jessie, our shooting numbers should be consistently high. The looks we are getting recently have had a lot to do with playing inside out.

To be fair, the law of averages will always be in play as well. Given they have shown they can do it in b2b games, that door is still open for now it seems.
ive been saying this all year - inside out is the way to get open 3s without penetration

teams like villanova and duke do this so well, usually

an extra pass or two ...a pump fake and dish

2 problems - several players on this team are basically incapable of entrry passes (jimmy, for one)
- the iso ball style has mostly been a lot of put your head down and "go"...which means a lot of chucking and missing open teammates and forced shots through tight coverage (which, on the other hand, when a iso player does look for a teammate, the defense is usually unaware and its an easy score)

coaches goota keep pushing the ball movement and entry passing and dishes off of iso...bc in the end it mean more scoring for everyone...even the iso players (boeheims)

i think in the begininng of the season the offense was so creaky that the iso was more efficient...but if this team can find a way to stay together vs tough d like auburn vcu etc...and keep working together to score...they wont need iso

problem with that is that some games are just reffed so physical that the opponent is basically allowed to handhold the su players all game and they are under durress so just resort to iso...but i think thats a mistake

this team is capable of shooting 50% vs anyone imo and that should be the goal

They wanted Cole to be more aggressive shooting all along, but he was hesitant to take shots because I believe he thought he would be taking shots away from Buddy. That my sound weak, but everybody saw what Buddy can do in the NCAA's last year and for a guy who wasn't a starter coming into a new team, I can see how that would affect him. After the loses to Duke and Pitt, it appears that it got through to him that if he doesn't shoot, they will lose games and has freed him up.
nah i just think that he isnt used to asserting himself and even moreso that the other guys with the ball in their hands more are very assertive...joe buddy and jimmy too...when they get the ball in halfway decent scoring position they are chucking...cole goes long stretches without a good look...but hes probably the best shooter on the team when hes open...when hes hot the team really needs to find a way to get him more looks

its the same thing with benny and to an extent jesse too...they dont get the ball in scoring position often and easily so ...when they do it distorts the moment in a way...the tteam is really looking for jesse more now ,,,wth good reason ...and hes become a smooth offensive force as the season has worn on and hes more incorporated...they didnt look for him much at all in the beginning of the season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom