The Scott Shafer Show - before Clemson | Syracusefan.com

The Scott Shafer Show - before Clemson

SWC75

Bored Historian
The show this year will be broadcast on Thursdays at 7PM from TGI Fridays on the third floor of Destiny USA, (just past the theater ticket booth and on the right after you walk down the hallway). I don’t know if they will take questions from the audience there but they say you can watch the show whereas when it was at a restaurant, their table tended to be in a secluded location. (Remember its Thursdays at TGI Fridays, not Fridays at TGI Thursdays). The football show is an hour in duration, (Coach Boeheim’s basketball show is usually 2 hours).

Note: because the first game is on a Friday Night, the first show will be on Wednesday, September 2nd. After that it will be on the Thursday before each game until the last game when the show will again be on a Wednesday, (11/25) due to Thanksgiving.

“Fans are invited to attend the show in person or participate via telephone (1-888-7-Go Cuse or 424-8599) or Twitter (@CuseIMG) using the hashtag #AskShafe. You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse)99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.” You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/
That first phone number is 1-888-746-2873 numerically.

You can also send them in advance at this site:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
(I do both so they can be prepared to give me an informed, reasoned answer.)

My Question(s)

"Coach, Bud Poliquin said in an article this week “Dungey suffered an in-game concussion on Sept. 19 against Central Michigan. He almost certainly suffered another one on Oct. 24 against Pittsburgh. And on Saturday afternoon against Louisville, he might have suffered yet one more.” Bud didn’t say where he’d gotten his medical degree. How true is his statement and how close is Eric Dungey to finding himself in the same situation as A. J. Long?"

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Matt mentioned the unveiling of the statues on Saturday morning. He got a brief peak of them as the tarps were being changed. He was impressed by their dimensions. Coach said that we need to appreciate the people who have come before us and those who park at Manley, (as I do), will have an opportunity to do that.

They also discussed veteran’s day. Some of the soldiers from Fort Drum will be in the locker room with the team, (we could use them against Clemson, especially if they bring their rifles). Captain Greg Durso will address the team. It should put them in the proper mood.

The weekly injury report, required by the ACC, is out and Eric Dungey will not play in this game, (which should please Bud). “He wasn’t ready. We were prepared for that. He’s doing well. It’s just one of those deals. We look forward to giving Zach an opportunity.” Luke Arciniega, Parris Bennett, Corey Winfield and Sean Avant will again be out, as will Davion Ellison. “He was coming on strong and we’ll miss him. He was extremely disruptive in the kicking game.”

Liam in Pompey again beat me to the punch and wanted to know about some of the controversial calls in the game – a roughing the passer on Dungy, (I don’t remember a controversy about a no call there), a pass interference that wasn’t called that might have extended a drive. The third one was the pass that appeared to be caught in bounds from one angle. Coach commented only on the last one, saying that when he saw it live and looked at the reply on video board, he thought our guy was out of bounds. Then they showed the reverse angle and he looked inbounds. He talked to everyone in the booth and they all said he was inbounds. “We’re not permitted to criticize the refs so I really can’t say anything else.”

I then called in my question. The Coach’s response: “I don’t read that stuff. That’s what media folks do- speculate. It’s just opinions. I’m like you. I’m reluctant to speak on medical issues without a degree. Reporters should do the same. It’s a shame they don’t. It’s par for the course. We’re trying to get Eric healthy and take care of him. It kills me to look into a player’s eyes when he can’t play. Eric was in good spirits today and is moving forward day by day.“ I told the coach that he has a chance for a great career and that I hoped nothing bad would happen along the way. “So do I Steve, so do I.” After a commercial, matt said that they were having “a spirited discussion both on and off the air”. The post-game press conference on Saturday should be interesting if Bud is there. Stay tuned.

They talked about Zach Mahoney, who Matt said was, ”wired differently. He is surprised when he isn’t playing against nationally ranked teams.” Coach: “The kids love him. He’s got a ton of juice, a lot of energy.” Matt noted that Eric Dungey was sort of lobbing the ball down the sidelines. “Zach throws fastballs”. Coach: “He’s intelligent. He knows how to attack coverage. When we saw him in the spring, he physically needed to improve his throwing. He kept his leg forward and threw across it. We told him he needed to open his stance so he could make all the throws. We were impressed when he came back. He’s still working on his touch. His decision making is good.”

Matt said that the biggest friends of the quarterback are his line, his tight end and the running game. (I hope his wide receivers weren’t listening.) How do we get the running game going? SS: “Nobody’s done well running against Clemson. We need to use diversity of running lanes and misdirection in the backfield to create confusion up front. We need to do better on first down, either running the ball or getting the ball out quick on passes. Clemson covers you up. They use bump and run and man free. They are tall and long and athletic (sounds like our basketball team). Jayron Kearse, (the nephew of Florida’s Jevon Kearse, who beat us in the 1/1/98 Orange Bowl), is 6-5 and 220. He’s Durell Eskridge with two more inches and 15 more pounds. We’ve got to maintain blocks. Louisville did a great job of getting off our blocks.”

Offensively, wide out Artavis Scott, “is a very good football player…not as big as some but as dynamic as anyone. Last year Wayne Gallman looked like a fast guy trying to be a running back. Now he’s running powerfully from tackle to tackle.

“Clemson has already been good but their recruiting in recent years is top-tier. They are going head-to-head with Alabama for great players. It took years of hard work and now they are trying to win it all. They might have won it last year if Watson wasn’t hurt. Now they are really clicking.”

Coach talked about player development “A lot of people thing that if you’ve got two kids who are equal, you play the senior. Why not play both of them? When we had Max Suter he split time with Shamarko Thomas. We wanted to accelerate Samarko’s development. Some guys you go slower with. They have to physically mature. Chandler Jones took a redshirt. Kayton Samuels has done a nice job. He and Chris Slayton both red-shirted. But Steven Clark is playing as a true freshman.

Matt played an excerpt from an interview with Dabo Sweeney during which Sweeney praised Scott Shafer. “He’s done a great job. They have great schemes on both side of the ball. They are very difficult to prepare for. They need to stay the course. I can see the players respect what they are doing.”Shafe thanked Dabo for the support. “People remember me yelling across the field to him. We’re both very competitive. I asked those guys a lot of questions about their program. I’d like to be as good as them someday. It’s going to take time. I love our recruiting these last two years and I love what we are doing this year, even though I can’t talk about it.”

He can talk about Rex Culpepper who will be here in the spring. “He’s 6-3 and 220. His father played here in the Dome, (he was on that Florida team we trounced in ’91) and played in the NFL. His wife has been on “Survivor”, so he’s got the genes to play quarterback in this offense. He’s a Tim lest, so he’s got the genes to play quarterback in this offense. He’s a Tim lest recruit. He’s one of the best players Coach Robert Weiner has had a Plant High School, where he’s coach many top recruits. 30 schools were after him including Clemson, Florida, Miami and Ohio State. “He’s so anxious to play for us he brought his whole family up here for the signing. All the recruits are saying “Hang in there, coach, we’re coming”.

If HCSS is going to withhold information on injuries, which is completely his prerogative, his has no right to complain about the media speculating.

Max Suter. That's a name from the past. One of my favorite players from the GRob days. Really tough safety and kick returner.

Thanks as always SWC

SF Cuse said:
If HCSS is going to withhold information on injuries, which is completely his prerogative, his has no right to complain about the media speculating. Max Suter. That's a name from the past. One of my favorite players from the GRob days. Really tough safety and kick returner. Thanks as always SWC

That's BS. I respect the university and staff for not confirming injuries like that. And if Bud is so concerned about a kids well being he shouldn't speculate. He's a reporter, reporting things as fact that he doesn't know and can't confirm. That puts undue pressure on all involved.

donniesyracuse said:
He is more of a columnist than a reporter.

Even so - not sure it's ethically sound. It's a kids health he's making up stuff about.

Even so - not sure it's ethically sound. It's a kids health he's making up stuff about.
Come on, sports writers speculate about injuries all the time and twice on Sunday. If the football coach/program or whatever doesn't like the speculation they can change the reporting policy, which I seem to recall Marrone put in.

Come on, sports writers speculate about injuries all the time and twice on Sunday. If the football coach/program or whatever doesn't like the speculation they can change the reporting policy, which I seem to recall Marrone put in.
Some of what he said wasn't speculation. As Cusian said, he stated things as fact that he does not know.

Willy75 said:

Disagree. He's saying it like its fact. And he doesn't know. That's the issue.

Well the facts say Dungey hasn't been cleared to practice right? Is it a stretch to then say the staff put his health at risk in a blowout game?

I really wonder if people understand the role of modern media, especially in a market like Syracuse. Not to say that SU is wrong to keep the information private, but when you watch the game and see the hits, it's not a huge stretch to speculate on the nature of the injuries.

No one's talking about Arciniega being out for the 2nd week after a helmet to helmet hit? Is it wrong to worry that with his history that his career could also be done?

Well the facts say Dungey hasn't been cleared to practice right? Is it a stretch to then say the staff put his health at risk in a blowout game?

I really wonder if people understand the role of modern media, especially in a market like Syracuse. Not to say that SU is wrong to keep the information private, but when you watch the game and see the hits, it's not a huge stretch to speculate on the nature of the injuries.
So, is that the role of modern media? To speculate?

I would say it is disengenuous to say that the staff put his health at risk in a blowout game if you are using the resulting injury as a basis to make the argument. Btw, every time a player steps on the field, he is putting his health at risk - even in practice. Somebody has to play, even in a blowout game.

I would say it is disengenuous to say that the staff put his health at risk in a blowout game if you are using the resulting injury as a basis to make the argument. Btw, every time a player steps on the field, he is putting his health at risk - even in practice. Somebody has to play, even in a blowout game.

My bad. I assumed an injury to the most promising QB in the last 20 years would qualify as news-worthy. They should have just ignored that, and the fact that he wasn't practicing because maybe he missed because he had exams all week, or some other reason.

Somebody does have to play. In last week's case, Wilson or Mahoney. Just because a player can get hurt at any time doesn't mean you shouldn't decrease those odds when it's complete garbage time. Dungey tossing a TD vs Louisville's scrubs does nothing for him. Nothing. I respect his parents a lot for supporting the decision to keep him in, but as a father I would be furious if it were my kid.

Full_Rebar said:
My bad. I assumed an injury to the most promising QB in the last 20 years would qualify as news-worthy. They should have just ignored that, and the fact that he wasn't practicing because maybe he missed because he had exams all week, or some other reason.

This is not difficult. Bud stated it like it was fact which later got picked up by the ACC blog over on ESPN.

It's not fact. It's conjecture. He should state it as such.

This is not difficult. Bud stated it like it was fact which later got picked up by the ACC blog over on ESPN.

That's the issue, not "the role of the media" or "do the coaches care?" or anything else.

So Dungey's not hurt, and it didn't happen in the final minutes last week? I think I'm missing something here.

The CMU one was confirmed, but I agree that he shouldn't speculate on Dungey suffering one against Pitt.

Full_Rebar said:
The CMU one was confirmed, but I agree that he shouldn't speculate on Dungey suffering one against Pitt.

Confirmed by who? Not being snarky - but I hadn't seen that.

Dungey himself said the problem after CMU was his neck and his back. Not that that's not important, too.

That's my mistake. I thought I remembered quotes from Shafer about how they were following the protocol, but he could have just been talking in generic terms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom