The Syracuse Clown Mascot? (stolen from r/cfb) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Syracuse Clown Mascot? (stolen from r/cfb)

I can tell you who was in the Gladiator costume. DcCuse, can as well, I think. When the saltine warrior was eliminated, the gladiator did a short stint through Lambda Chi Alpha, the same fraternity that historically provided the saltine warrior. It was an elected position in the fraternity, and a high honor. After the gladiator, there was no “official”
Mascot, just fans who wore outfits, and a few costumes that were unofficially auditioned through the cheerleading squad - like Otto. The mascot duties were taken away from Lambda Chi.

DCCUSE definitely has that knowledge. I wish his costume/outfit idea had caught on. Chug a lug. He was a giant SU beer stein that the student section would throw beers at and 50ml bottles of liquor that he would pound down after every touchdown. Apparently after one especially high scoring game he was found passed out in one of the concession stands surrounded by a high volume of hot dog wrappers and Sabarro pizza boxes. As you can imagine it didn't go over well especially when they found that the had mistaken a fryer for a bathroom stall.

This is 100% accurate. I was the Orange in 95-96 and we staged a protest during the WVU homecoming game where i dressed as a wolf and the Orange beat me up and tossed me into a body bag. We pulled it off, it was fantastic, the crowd went nuts. I ran off the field and into the lockerroom and removed the wolf costume.The police came to arrest me and banged on the door. A certain omerta prevented it from happening that day because everyone was clueless to who was the perpetrator. I was also VERY hungover that day and was probably legally drunk. A double whammy if I get arrested and I smell like Goldschlager from 44s.

A day later, I got a call from Linda Bell, cheerleading HC, who indicated I would be meeting with Jake and the GM of the Dome about the stunt we pulled. Omerta was no longer.

During that meeting, I came thisclose to getting expelled because I made a mockery of the school, trespassed (not really) and created a chaotic situation. I pleaded to Jake and Doug? (GM of the Dome) that we were just passionate about this ridiculous decision and the school wants the Orange forever. It seems like a scene from a movie but it was really me talking in circles and Jake grumbling the whole time. He was a real beaut.

Long story short, i didn't get expelled, the Orange reigned and I went back to being the worst Mascot in Syracuse history. I do relish my .1% impact on the decision and REALLY relish the fact that every autograph that I signed at Rutgers in 1995 was my real name and not Otto the Orange. Always P*ssed off the Rutgers fans. LGO!

Tough guy Otto: A rollover no more
Wow.

Does that mean you were Otto with an edge, afterwards?

That's awesome, great story. I remember the event clearly. Dome manager then was Pat Campbell, I think. OK guy, way more reasonable than Jake. Continuing with my quasi-informed opinions about things, I forget why Linda Bell got canned - from where I sit, cheerleaders in that era did a way better job than what's currently going on.

Pat Campbell you are right. Very nice guy. He was fairly new at the time and started doing 20th century stuff in the dome marketing wise.

Jake was a curmudgeon but we shared our love for cape cod during this "meeting". He liked that I was from Boston. Guy loved his heaters (cigs).

Linda was great. She certainly put up with alot of my antics on the road to the final four as well as others. For another day...

DCCUSE definitely has that knowledge. I wish his costume/outfit idea had caught on. Chug a lug. He was a giant SU beer stein that the student section would throw beers at and 50ml bottles of liquor that he would pound down after every touchdown. Apparently after one especially high scoring game he was found passed out in one of the concession stands surrounded by a high volume of hot dog wrappers and Sabarro pizza boxes. As you can imagine it didn't go over well especially when they found that the had mistaken a fryer for a bathroom stall.

Ha

Classic

This is 100% accurate. I was the Orange in 95-96 and we staged a protest during the WVU homecoming game where i dressed as a wolf and the Orange beat me up and tossed me into a body bag. We pulled it off, it was fantastic, the crowd went nuts. I ran off the field and into the lockerroom and removed the wolf costume.The police came to arrest me and banged on the door. A certain omerta prevented it from happening that day because everyone was clueless to who was the perpetrator. I was also VERY hungover that day and was probably legally drunk. A double whammy if I get arrested and I smell like Goldschlager from 44s.

A day later, I got a call from Linda Bell, cheerleading HC, who indicated I would be meeting with Jake and the GM of the Dome about the stunt we pulled. Omerta was no longer.

During that meeting, I came thisclose to getting expelled because I made a mockery of the school, trespassed (not really) and created a chaotic situation. I pleaded to Jake and Doug? (GM of the Dome) that we were just passionate about this ridiculous decision and the school wants the Orange forever. It seems like a scene from a movie but it was really me talking in circles and Jake grumbling the whole time. He was a real beaut.

Long story short, i didn't get expelled, the Orange reigned and I went back to being the worst Mascot in Syracuse history. I do relish my .1% impact on the decision and REALLY relish the fact that every autograph that I signed at Rutgers in 1995 was my real name and not Otto the Orange. Always P*ssed off the Rutgers fans. LGO!

1546618547465.gif

This may be my favorite post since I joined. That is an amazing story!

My three year old son loves Otto. For some reason he insisted on wearing a Syracuse hoodie with Otto on it this morning, and was pointing out his shirt to everyone we saw saying “Otto! Otto! Otto!”

Otto’s friggin’ awesome.

Couple Otto stories - you can't make this kind of stuff up.

Picture this. Our granddaughter who just turned 3, has a mini-Otto stuffed toy. One day out of the blue she wrinkles her nose while the wheels are spinning in her head and in a puzzled voice asks her father, "is Otto a SWEET POTATO?" Everyone cracks up when they hear this.

Fast forward a couple months, my wife and I are at a tailgate and grab a photo with Otto and text it to our son who proudly proclaims "Look, grandma and grandpa are with Otto!" She corrects him: "No, that must be Otto's DAD" (because in her mind the real Otto lives with her).

I can tell you who was in the Gladiator costume. DcCuse, can as well, I think. When the saltine warrior was eliminated, the gladiator did a short stint through Lambda Chi Alpha, the same fraternity that historically provided the saltine warrior. It was an elected position in the fraternity, and a high honor. After the gladiator, there was no “official”
Mascot, just fans who wore outfits, and a few costumes that were unofficially auditioned through the cheerleading squad - like Otto. The mascot duties were taken away from Lambda Chi.
I can remember watching the Saltine Warrior walking across Walnut Park on game days.

I remember this event. Great respect for what you did. Bravo!

This is a GREAT story!

You're a hero.

A.

Hero.

One other thing... once Otto was designated as the official mascot the university set out to change his depiction. I recall that in the late 90s there was a vote to decide it featuring smiling Otto along with three tougher representations. It was in the alumni magazine of that era, if someone has an old copy. No surprise, smiling Otto won.

I'm sure people have noticed that in recent years SU uses the angry Otto depiction just about everywhere. Someone on the Hill realized that it was best to just do that and not make it a public decision. Very, very smart.

176px-Otto_the_Orange_logo.svg.png

250px-Otto_the_orange.png

I regret that I have only one “like” to give this post.

I was in the crowd, going nuts as you got pummeled. That’s one of my top Dome memories!

At least within the fraternity, the Orange mascot was named either Woody or Clyde pre-dating Otto.

Yeah, I can't find anything online. I think my parents have some early-'80s memorabilia with "Ollie" attached..gotta look into that.

Great story elimu! I seem to remember about that time at the basketball games a dude that would wear a rainbow wig and try to pump the crowd up.. but then he got into an altercation with Otto and that was it. Does anyone else remember this?

I’m amazed at the love rainbow wig guy gets. I had the misfortune to be right behind him; the guy was a complete a$$. Not even a little surprising when that little jerk got into a fight with Otto.

I regret that I have only one “like” to give this post.

I was in the crowd, going nuts as you got pummeled. That’s one of my top Dome memories!

One of the funnier subplots was my parents were there that day! The joke my dad always told was he ran into Dick Mac at the Hotel Syracuse (may have been that weekend or another one, time has sapped me of any correct dates) and he told Mac that his son was playing today. Dick wanted to know what number and my dad, not missing a beat, said "oh he's the fruit!" Mac loved that.

I'm feeling nostalgic today now that these memories have come back. Reason I named myself Elimu Nelson on this board was because of a funny Elimu story. Elimu's dad was a UPS driver in the Boston area and showed up to my dad's office and noticed a picture of me in the Orange costume. Elimu's dad explained how his son played for Syracuse and my dad proudly explained how his son was the Orange. At the Opening Tipoff dinner that year (Walton was the speaker), i ended up buying the Elimu Nelson #11 in the silent auction (and Melvin Tuten's sneakers). Proudly own both still. I met Elimu back in the day but would love to reconnect and give him his name back if he wants on the board.

I’m amazed at the love rainbow wig guy gets. I had the misfortune to be right behind him; the guy was a complete a$$. Not even a little surprising when that little jerk got into a fight with Otto.

He was a doosh.

I remember running through the tunnel at Archbold in ‘78 and seeing the gladiator mascot for the first time and feeling totally embarrassed but not as embarrassed as after NCSt laid a 38 - 0 shellacking on us that day. Bring back the Saltine Warrior!

This story should be in a book. maybe a movie.

Great story elimu! I seem to remember about that time at the basketball games a dude that would wear a rainbow wig and try to pump the crowd up.. but then he got into an altercation with Otto and that was it. Does anyone else remember this?

oh man... i remember that altercation. the whole crowd was watching and i believe it continued even after the game restarted.

I remember Dome Ranger into the mid 90’s. Poor guy wore some serious knee braces and I think ultimately the school told him to stop for fear of injury/liability (just my thoughts). I also remember Dome Vader. There was also a kid from a fraternity that wore a rainbow wig and used to run laps around the court. Eventually he was granted access to the big “S” flag running laps inciting the wave while the sour citrus society played our unofficial fight song, “the hey song” (Rock and Roll part 2). We didn’t know what else to call him, so we called him “Wiggins”. I believe he was attacked on separate occasions by Otto, and Dome Ranger (more likely why D R was removed). Linked articles may say this, but Otto was originally called Clyde after the orange ghost in PacMan. My roommate was on the FB team at the time and the wolf thing was real. It was about this time as well that the NJ Nets contemplated calling themselves the Swamp Dragons and the Bullets became Wizards. The uproar about “Orangemen” was loud from alumni, prompting Newhouse alums (ADJW?) to encourage ESPN to feature Otto in ads in support of keeping the name and mascot. To my knowledge, this is the beginning of ESPN featuring mascots in their ads.

Last edited: