The team with the better talent at the skill positions won the gane | Syracusefan.com

The team with the better talent at the skill positions won the gane

Don

2nd String
This was a terrible loss and the coaching deserves a lot of critics for sure but flat out Mtsu has better athletes and better players st the skill positions that is not disputable at all. Still they seemed to make adjustments in the second half to maximize there talent , that did not happen with us.

There is still hope here though , through all we will had a chance with late in the game to win or tie to go to overtime .

I thought our defense was outstanding in the first half and maybe it's a different game if our offense showed up to play and the wide receivers made any plays at all.

First there running back could sctually break plays to the outside when a play was stopped inside. He could also accelerate through a hole quickly when needed. He alone made it easier especially in the second half when our defense started to wear down

They had two receivers at least that are better than any we hsve. They actually could run after a catch and actually beat our defenders on moves alone. They also can catch the ball

The QB is better than Dungey he has a stronger arm and can make dual type plays on the move either with his arm or legs. He also us an excellent runner . He did make a bad throw early for the Interception but he is a good QB

They simply have better skill players who make plays and that combined with us running the same plays over and over on the same snap count and rythym every play allowed there defense to defend half the field making it much easier for them.

You combine the deer in the headlights play I will call it , at the end of the game where there lineman was running off the field and a more experienced QB or center would have snapped the ball to get a first down instead of having Dungey notice the guy and basically just stand there giving the DB a chance to play Tom Cruise or Paul Newoman to act our the worst fake injury I've ever seen anyone have.

Yeah it's really pretty simple. Don't even need to get into "scheme" or strategy. They had guys that could run fast and catch the ball. We don't.

They had WR's getting behind our DBs all day long. Early on we were getting to the QB. If we weren't, we would've been down 21-0 early because those WRs were smoking our DBs.

I think we had somebody open deep once and predictably the ball bounced off Custis's hands and then he fell down and got hurt. Pretty much sums it up.

This was a terrible loss and the coaching deserves a lot of critics for sure but flat out Mtsu has better athletes and better players st the skill positions that is not disputable at all. Still they seemed to make adjustments in the second half to maximize there talent , that did not happen with us.

There is still hope here though , through all we will had a chance with late in the game to win or tie to go to overtime .

I thought our defense was outstanding in the first half and maybe it's a different game if our offense showed up to play and the wide receivers made any plays at all.

First there running back could sctually break plays to the outside when a play was stopped inside. He could also accelerate through a hole quickly when needed. He alone made it easier especially in the second half when our defense started to wear down

They had two receivers at least that are better than any we hsve. They actually could run after a catch and actually beat our defenders on moves alone. They also can catch the ball

The QB is better than Dungey he has a stronger arm and can make dual type plays on the move either with his arm or legs. He also us an excellent runner . He did make a bad throw early for the Interception but he is a good QB

They simply have better skill players who make plays and that combined with us running the same plays over and over on the same snap count and rythym every play allowed there defense to defend half the field making it much easier for them.

You combine the deer in the headlights play I will call it , at the end of the game where there lineman was running off the field and a more experienced QB or center would have snapped the ball to get a first down instead of having Dungey notice the guy and basically just stand there giving the DB a chance to play Tom Cruise or Paul Newoman to act our the worst fake injury I've ever seen anyone have.

I don't think so. The team the was focused and executed late won the game. We had some weird emotional hangover. We were more talented at almost all skill positions.

I'd take their good WR over Custis. Their QB looked ok - but like ED better. That's it.

QBs might be an even match, but MTSU had better talent at RB, and their receivers were faster and made the decisive plays.
Babers has yet to prove that his skill position recruits can make an impact. Might be a good crop in the 2018 class. Might have something in Pierre or Nykeim Johnson, but can't prove it yet.

Huh?? This is not fantasy football.

Syracuse without question has talent at WR and QB that would rival most other ACC programs. Did they have a bad day? Sure. Did they drop way to many balls? You bet.

But concluding that it's the lack of skill position depth is completely inaccurate.

We have an offensive line problem. Probably Shafer's best defensive strategy was leaving that cupboard completely empty at OL. Not to mention we lost Aaron Roberts to injury.

Yesterday was a result of a reoccurring OL problem, dropped passes, odd play calling and Sean Riley, a D3 punt returner.

Don't believe me, go ask Pitt, FSU or VT if they'd like to swap QBs with us right now.

I disagree. Poor execution on Syracuse's behalf cost them this game. If they half assed it yesterday, they still come out with a win. Three turnovers need to lead to three touchdowns. Hauling in fair catches instead of dropping them. Those hurt SU big time yesterday.

Huh?? This is not fantasy football.

Syracuse without question has talent at WR and QB that would rival most other ACC programs. Did they have a bad day? Sure. Did they drop way to many balls? You bet.

But concluding that it's the lack of skill position depth is completely inaccurate.

We have an offensive line problem. Probably Shafer's best defensive strategy was leaving that cupboard completely empty at OL. Not to mention we lost Aaron Roberts to injury.

Yesterday was a result of a reoccurring OL problem, dropped passes, odd play calling and Sean Riley, a D3 punt returner.

Don't believe me, go ask Pitt, FSU or VT if they'd like to swap QBs with us right now.

QB is fine, talent wise. WR is not. Not for what we're trying to do. We've got two solid possession WR's. That's fine if you're a smashmouth team that can block and run the ball. We don't have a big play threat and we desperately need one to both stretch the field and occasionally put a quick 6 on the board.

the only wr that plays that can get behind a defense is erv

Yesterday was the type of game both teams could have blown out the other or won in a close game. MTU missed a couple of wide open long passes and that too could have broken this game wide open in their favor just as well if SU scored on the many opportunities they had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom