The thrill is gone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The thrill is gone

44PRIDE said:
My worst fears from a few seasons ago have materialized. I have become completely indifferent and disconnected from this program. I was a daily poster on this site. I watched the practice vids, kept track of recruiting and dissected player/coach comments for clues on the team. I mocked Rutgers and UCant, as did most of you. But season after season of mediocrity, coach-speak and stagnation have simply drained my interest. I know some will say "good riddance" or that i'm not a "real fan". And to be honest, maybe there is truth in that. But i was as fervent a supporter of the football program as there was. Unfortunately, the passion is gone and i've been unable to rekindle that excitement for what appears to be another season of (hopefully) 6-6 ball.
U won't be missed, head back to the hoops Board it will be okay

My worst fears from a few seasons ago have materialized. I have become completely indifferent and disconnected from this program.

I was a daily poster on this site. I watched the practice vids, kept track of recruiting and dissected player/coach comments for clues on the team. I mocked Rutgers and UCant, as did most of you. But season after season of mediocrity, coach-speak and stagnation have simply drained my interest.

I know some will say "good riddance" or that i'm not a "real fan". And to be honest, maybe there is truth in that. But i was as fervent a supporter of the football program as there was. Unfortunately, the passion is gone and i've been unable to rekindle that excitement for what appears to be another season of (hopefully) 6-6 ball.

A little diddy
Bout 44Pri-IDE...
An Orangemen fan throwin' his towel on the pro-gram.

Are you Jack or Diane? ;)

My worst fears from a few seasons ago have materialized. I have become completely indifferent and disconnected from this program.

I was a daily poster on this site. I watched the practice vids, kept track of recruiting and dissected player/coach comments for clues on the team. I mocked Rutgers and UCant, as did most of you. But season after season of mediocrity, coach-speak and stagnation have simply drained my interest.

I know some will say "good riddance" or that i'm not a "real fan". And to be honest, maybe there is truth in that. But i was as fervent a supporter of the football program as there was. Unfortunately, the passion is gone and i've been unable to rekindle that excitement for what appears to be another season of (hopefully) 6-6 ball.
Embrace the freedom.

44PRIDE, I was thoroughly disgusted at the end of last season. I mean truly disgusted, so I feel your pain...

... until I realized that Syracuse Football is my addiction. I couldn't stay away for long and now I am excited as all hell that spring ball has started.

I hope this year brings you and the thousands of others back into the Dome.

Blind faith...

ditto--i do not care what the coaches or the ad say--it all has been koolaid for while and i evolved to where you are---its all been bs with no discernable progress, poor customer service epitomized by exploitation of fan loyalty. i decided not to be played for sucker anymore. of course i will still attend a selected game or 2 , but cannot muster up the passion anymore---to much baggage from a amateur athletic dept, and bs from coaches.

dont let the door hit ya
i'm sorry you feel that way. whats funny is i thought that what the athletic dept has been saying for several years now. based on the product and the fan exploitation, many of us have not let the door hit us on the way out, as we opened it and closed it(in my case most of the way)---syracuse fan attending games since the early 60's, but apparently, that doesn't count

you're here bro, you've got a lot of posts and you WILL BE BACK. As for the negative posts in response F them. You'd have to be delusional NOT to have concerns and feel what you wrote.

Can relate 100% though to what you post and here's the bottom line. Short of the new under the radar bama recruit we got being the second coming of Michael Vick, it is hightly doubtful we will ever be great again (translation top 10 going for another NC in the football FF). But we can be good to very good again (translation top 25 half the time with a random upset or two of a top 10 team here and there).

Given the new landscape of college football with all it's well known challenges weface here this is reality I believe. I agree that all the coach speak, hoping, optomism, orange colored glass looking to the past can be exhausting. And self defeating. But this all part of being a "fan" of anything. Age and getting older with all lifes other conflictions and important distractions contribute too so we may never have the youthful passion to the degree that was once there...

BUT I'm here to tell you that if you're here you've got too much invested, too much important family and friend history associated with it all such that it will never leave you completely and will always, at the very least, be bubbling under the surface.

And with the new IPF, better recruiting, stable coaching it's not out of the realm that the fortunes will be improving to the level I mentioned in the next year or two such that it will rise to the surface again as will the passion for it all once more.

From my keyboard to Gods ears...hang in.
So, you are feeling better. Glad to see it!

This is why we are stalling to become even a mid major BCS program. The fans are not supportive enough and the administration does not fully support the team. I am not saying I have the answer but something needs to change.

When I went to the Clemson game (along with many others), I was amazed at all of the fans. I did not see many empty seats. I believe it was 85, 000 people at the game. The problem is that the whole community should support this team. I travel to Syracuse about once every two years for games, but I have been attending away games long before the transition into the ACC. I just want what other teams have through good and bad seasons, a loyal fan base and a supportive administration. Until these two factors change, we will always be an average program.

This is why we are stalling to become even a mid major BCS program. The fans are not supportive enough and the administration does not fully support the team. I am not saying I have the answer but something needs to change.

When I went to the Clemson game (along with many others), I was amazed at all of the fans. I did not see many empty seats. I believe it was 85, 000 people at the game. The problem is that the whole community should support this team. I travel to Syracuse about once every two years for games, but I have been attending away games long before the transition into the ACC. I just want what other teams have through good and bad seasons, a loyal fan base and a supportive administration. Until these two factors change, we will always be an average program.
Good God! For the millionth time...there is no point in comparing Clemson with SU! Again, in the northeast, football is entertainment. If the product sucks, people won't buy it. In the South, that's all they've got. The alternative is catching catfish with your bare hands...

I became an SU football fan in 1972 - Ben's first losing season since the 1940's. The SU in SU football stood for suck during my years on the hill. But they're my team for life. Maybe it was good to buy in when they were so low, because now even the lows are better than then.

i'm sorry you feel that way. whats funny is i thought that what the athletic dept has been saying for several years now. based on the product and the fan exploitation, many of us have not let the door hit us on the way out, as we opened it and closed it(in my case most of the way)---syracuse fan attending games since the early 60's, but apparently, that doesn't count
If you have such a distaste for the program then why are you using so much energy posting on the fan forum? Seems logical that you would move on like you are suggesting he do.

Good God! For the millionth time...there is no point in comparing Clemson with SU! Again, in the northeast, football is entertainment. If the product sucks, people won't buy it. In the South, that's all they've got. The alternative is catching catfish with your bare hands...

The point I was making is that Clemson which isn't even a top tier program attracts 85,000 fans to play a Syracuse team predicted to finish at the bottom of the ACC . Even when the product is average to good a lot of people and admin won't buy it. It would take an undefeated season to fill the dome. Unlike other programs that are sold out game after game with average seasons.

You are clueless when talking about what there is to do in the south.

The point I was making is that Clemson which isn't even a top tier program attracts 85,000 fans to play a Syracuse team predicted to finish at the bottom of the ACC . Even when the product is average to good a lot of people and admin won't buy it. It would take an undefeated season to fill the dome. Unlike other programs that are sold out game after game with average seasons.

LOL...yes it is horrible that NC/SC has no pro BB, FB or Hockey. ;)

A little hyperbole. But, you essentially made my point. In the South, that's what they do. In the North it's entertainment. During the Donnie Mac - McNabb era, when the team was winning 8 or 9 games per year and playing exciting football, the Dome was always packed. If SU was doing that now it would be a tough ticket. Average won't cut it because average football is not great entertainment.

A little hyperbole. But, you essentially made my point. In the South, that's what they do. In the North it's entertainment. During the Donnie Mac - McNabb era, when the team was winning 8 or 9 games per year and playing exciting football, the Dome was always packed. If SU was doing that now it would be a tough ticket. Average won't cut it because average football is not great entertainment.
I get your point and respect it. I saw Donovan play in the dome as a teenager. I guess it has been so long ago I forgot how packed the dome was for a football game back then. I just want Syracuse to be a successful program again, just like all true fans. I was a little jealous when I went to Death Valley and saw their tailgating an fan turnout.

Also, I won't hold it against you that you reside in Boston. We kuntry folks wush we cud liv in a big sity like dat. :D

I get your point and respect it. I saw Donovan play in the dome as a teenager. I guess it has been so long ago I forgot how packed the dome was for a football game back then. I just want Syracuse to be a successful program again, just like all true fans. I was a little jealous when I went to Death Valley and saw their tailgating an fan turnout.

Also, I won't hold it against you that you reside in Boston. We kuntry folks wush we cud liv in a big sity like dat. :D
Well, you'd have to put up with what will be a record amount of snow this year! I'm a skier so I don't mind. But some folks' personal demeanor is getting pretty dark.

There's more to do down here than noodling for catfish; we also hunt hogs with spears :D

I've heard of that... By the way, my comment wasn't intended to be taken seriously.

I know. But, people REALLY do hunt hogs with spears down here. The REALLY brave (aka crazy) guys only use a knife. I'm not nearly that brave.

I know. But, people REALLY do hunt hogs with spears down here. The REALLY brave (aka crazy) guys only use a knife. I'm not nearly that brave.
newhogzilla.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom