The Upside - Colgate | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We fell behind in the Colgate series in 1891. We never caught them until Dino Baber’s first game here in 2016. We have now, finally, passed the Red Raiders, 32-31—5. When Colgate last won in 1950, it was 15-31-5.

- We won the first three quarters, 65-0. If we’d gotten other TD in the fourth quarter, we could have beaten Colgate by the biggest score we’ve ever won by, (the ’59 team won 71-0). I’m glad we didn’t. I was wishing Colgate would ask for 10 minute quarters as Wagner did last year. The natural reaction is to dismiss this result because how we do against Colgate has nothing to do with how we’ll do against Purdue in two weeks or Clemson two weeks after that. That’s certainly true but A) Colgate is not Wagner. Wagner last year had a 23 game losing streak. They were a former D3 team that didn’t belong in FCS. Colgate is a decent program that played for the FCS title under Dick Biddle and went 10-2 in 2018, losing only to Army and North Dakota State in the playoffs. They won only three games last year but were picked for 3rd in the Patriot League. We made them look like Wagner. B) We’ve had plenty of teams in recent years that couldn’t have beaten Colgate 65-0. Good teams take care of business against teams they should handle. We sure did that today.

- One guy, Alijah ‘Cinco’ Clark, went down. He made a big hit on a tackle early in the game and wobbled a bit and decided he needed to take an 8 count. When he got up, he walked off the field under his own power and was back in the game on the next defensive possession. Nobody else, (from my view), got hurt. Check that box.

- Our offense sputtered a bit occasionally and our kicking game was a bit ragged but our defense was totally dominant on virtually every play. Colgate gained 106 yards and just 7 first downs. They didn’t get past the 50 yard line until it was 65-0 in the fourth quarter. We were never in trouble in this game, no matter what we scored. We owned the line of scrimmage and big chunk of the backfield, as well.

- We got to see a lot of guys play. The most interesting was the order in which the running backs were used. LeQuint Allen was #1 and played the first half. In the second we saw a lot of Juwaun Price. The third guy was freshman Ike Daniels but the fourth guy was walk-on Mario Escobar, followed by JUCO transfer JJ Branham. The other highly touted freshman, Muwaffaq Parkman and the other JUCO, Deston Hawkins, saw no action. Hmmm… Allen was what we expected – a solid, all-around back who runs hard and is quick through the hole. Price had some zig-zag but had a hard time finding some open field to display it. Daniels looked like somebody’s little bother, (no way he’s 5-11), but he ran hard and showed some burst. Escobar looked very quick. Branham had no place to go, running in what must have bene the 3rd or 4th string line. But together, they ran for 233 yards on 40 carries.

- Garrett Shrader was solid with 18/24 for 257 yards, 4TDs and 1 interception. He also ran for 40 yards on 8 carries. Carlos Del Rio Wilson displayed his talents with 10/13 for 149 yards and 3 scores. The best was a play where he ran to his right, turned and threaded the needle to Isaiah Jones for the score. Braden David and then Luke McPhail saw some playing time but were “not ready for prime time”.

- Six different guys caught the seven TD passes. Jones, who Matt Park called “All Alone Jones", was as wide open as anybody I’ve ever seen on one Shrader pass, which Garrett, in classic form, just got away before he was decked. Oronde Gadsden inevitably got one, a great catch over a defenders head. I’ve felt since I first saw his film that Omari Hatcher was a big talent. He led us with 4 catches for 105 yards and a score. In his post-game presser, Dino said, “He improved his nightlife and so his daylife got better”. Damien Alford wasn’t spectacular, but he caught a 13 yarder from Shrader if the first quarter. Kendall Long, who many have said will be a star one day, looked like on as he avoided a couple of tacklers and motored down the sideline for a 25 yard score. And freshman speedster Darrell Gill Jr. made Darrell Gill Sr. happy by zigging, zigging and bolting for our final score.

- A good formula for success is that when Brady Denaburg kicks the ball a lot more than Jack Stonehouse, we’re gonna win. Denaburg kicked 8 extra points, 1 field goal and 11 kickoffs. All of his place kicks were good and none of his kick-offs were returned. Stonehouse punted once, (on our first possession), for 49 yards.

- DeMarcus Adams did a fine job filling in for Trebor Pena, catching every punt, (and some were difficult), and returning 7 of 9 punts for an average of 10.3 yards and a long one of 39 yards.

1-0 with 11, (or 12) to go

Let’s Go Orange!

Last edited:
- We fell behind in the Colgate series in 1891. We never caught them until Dino Baber’s first game here in 2016. We have now, finally, passed the Red Raiders, 32-31—5. When Colgate last won in 1950, it was 15-31-5.

- We won the first three quarters, 65-0. If we’d gotten other TD in the fourth quarter, we could have beaten Colgate by the biggest score we’ve ever won by, (the ’59 team won 71-0). I’m glad we didn’t. I was wishing Colgate would ask for 10 minute quarters as Wagner did last year. The natural reaction is to dismiss this result because how we do against Colgate has nothing to do with how we’ll do against Purdue in two weeks or Clemson two weeks after that. That’s certainly true but A) Colgate is not Wagner. Wagner last year had a 23 game losing streak. They were a former D3 team that didn’t belong in FCS. Colgate is a decent program that played for the FCS title under Dick Biddle and went 10-2 in 2018, losing only to Army and North Dakota State in the playoffs. They won only three games last year but were picked for 3rd in the Patriot League. We made them look like Wagner. We’ve had plenty of teams in recent years that couldn’t have beaten Colgate 65-0. Good teams take care of business against teams they should handle. We sure did that today.

- One guy, Alijah ‘Cinco’ Clark, went down. He made a big hit on a tackle early in the game and wobbled a bit and decided he needed to take an 8 count. When he got up, he walked off the field under his own power and was back in the game on the next defensive possession. Nobody else, (from my view), got hurt. Check that box.

- Our offense sputtered a bit occasionally and our kicking game was a bit ragged but our defense was totally dominant on virtually every play. Colgate gained 106 yards and just 7 first downs. They didn’t get past the 50 yard line until it was 65-0 in the fourth quarter. We were never in trouble in this game, no matter what we scored. We owned the line of scrimmage and big chunk of the backfield, as well.

- We got to see a lot of guys play. The most interesting was the order in which the running backs were used. LeQuint Allen was #1 and played the first half. In the second we saw a lot of Juwaun Price. The third guy was freshman Ike Daniels but the fourth guy was walk-on Mario Escobar, followed by JUCO transfer JJ Branham. The other highly touted freshman, Muwaffaq Parkman and the other JUCO, Deston Hawkins, saw no action. Hmmm… Allen was what we expected – a solid, all-around back who runs hard and is quick through the hole. Price had some zig-zag but had a hard time finding some open field to display it. Daniels looked like somebody’s little bother, (no way he’s 5-11), but he ran hard and showed some burst. Escobar looked very quick. Branham had no place to go, running in what must have bene the 3rd or 4th string line. But together, they ran for 233 yards on 40 carries.

- Garrett Shrader was solid with 18/24 for 257 yards, 4TDs and 1 interception. He also ran for 40 yards on 8 carries. Carlos Del Rio Wilson displayed his talents with 10/13 for 149 yards and 3 scores. The best was a play where he ran to his right, turned and threaded the needle to Isaiah Jones for the score. Braden David and then Luke McPhail saw some playing time but were “not ready for prime time”.

- Six different guys caught the seven TD passes. Jones, who Matt Park called “All Alone Jones, was as wide open as anybody I’ve ever seen on one Shrader pass, which Garrett, in classic form, just got away before he was decked. Oronde Gadsden inevitably got one, a great catch over a defenders head. I’ve felt since I first saw his film that Omari Hatcher was a big talent. He led us with 4 catches for 105 yards and a score. In his post-game presser, Dino said, “He improved his nightlife and so his daylife got better”. Damien Alford wasn’t spectacular, but he caught a 13 yarder from Shrader if the first quarter. Kendall Long, who many have said will be a star one day, looked like on as he avoided a couple of tacklers and motored down the sideline for a 25 yard score. And freshman speedster Darrell Gill Jr. made Darrell Gill Sr. happy by zigging, zigging and bolting for our final score.

- A good formula for success is that when Brady Denaburg kicks the ball a lot more than Jack Stonehouse, we’re gonna win. Denaburg kicked 8 extra points, 1 field goal and 11 kickoffs. All of his place kicks were good and none of his kick-offs were returned. Stonehouse punted once, (on our first possession), for 49 yards.

- DeMarcus Adams did a fine job filling in for Trebor Pena, catching every punt, (and some were difficult), and returning 7 of 9 punts for an average of 10.3 yards and a long one of 39 yards.

1-0 with 11, (or 12) to go

Let’s Go Orange!
Adams obviously doesn’t believe in fair catching punts. He’s aggressive and wants to make plays.

Yes, issues were revealed and we need OL work; however my bottom line

IMG_7209.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom