The Upside - Pittsburgh | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Pittsburgh

SWC75

Bored Historian
- This was an extreme version but this game was my vision of what this year would be: valiant efforts in exciting, entertaining games. Not 9-28, 0-54, 14-45 type games. I assumed when we scored ‘only’ 33 points against Colgate that we would exceed that several times. We finally did so.

- I said before the season that I suspected we’d see flashes of what was to come and we did. That Virginia Tech game where we wore out a good team, (one we don’t like, too), with the sheer volume of plays we ran, was one time. This was another. The 4-6 games next year should be interesting. Offensively, it couldn’t be much better than today.

- Where would we have been without Amba Etta Tawo? I’d never even heard of him before the season began and he had the greatest season any Syracuse receiver has ever had. Our prior records were 72 catches by Alec Lemon , 1,131 yards by Marvin Harrison and 14 TDs by Tommy Kane. ET wound up with 94 catches for 1,482 yards and 14 scores. Those are NFL numbers and that’s where we’ll see Amba next year.

- And where would we be without Zach Mahoney? Where we are, I guess, because he’s never quarterbacked a winning game. But he got us to within 10 points of LSU and Clemson last year. This year, he’s started three games, completed 60% of his passes for 826 yards and 8TDs and run for two touchdowns. He’s still got another year to go so we’d got an effective back-up for another season if we need him, 9and we probably will).

- Moe Neal showed his potential with a couple of explosive runs and got 91 yards on only 8 carries.

- Erv Phillips has labored in Etta Tawo’s shadow all year but I think he’s responsible for more the of the 268 first downs we’ve gotten this year, (including 38 in this game) than ET did. He had 11 catches of his own today for 107 yards and on the season also broke lemon’s record with 90 catches for 822 yards and 6 scores. It’s doubly impressive because the guy began his career as a running back. He’s worked had to turn himself into the player Babers wanted him to be and he’s succeeded.

- People think Steve Ismael had a bad year but he caught 48 balls for 559 yards and 1 score. Last year he had only 39 catches for 570 yards and 7 scores. He was used differently but he wasn’t used less. Maybe he can be Etta Tawo next year.

- The Salt Badger’s career is over. Injuries held him back but he still had some big moments for us. I wish he had been used more extensively than he was. I notice Pitt used every opportunity to get Quadree Henderson the ball, having him return 4 kick-offs, 3 punts and carrying the ball on four running plays. I wonder how many more scores we might have gotten if Brisley had bene returning kickoffs and maybe getting the ball on a few reverses as well as the balls he caught and his punt returns. I have a feeling we’ll find out in the pros.

4-8 and that’s all she wrote. Next year….

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom