The Upside - Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Nothing like a couple of blow-out wins to improve your disposition. In beating Boston College and Wake Forest by a total of 50 points, we realize3 that we were playing the dregs of the conference- but also that those score, as well as the competitive games against contenders before that) that we are not among the dregs of the conference. In fact, we could be making some real noise before this thing is finished.

- It was the ideal scenario. Cooney came out en fuego, getting wide-open shots and squaring himself properly to make them. He scored 19 points in the first 9:32 of the game. He was on a pace for 80 points!

- In turn the defense had to key on him and that opened up all kinds of opportunities for the other players. We got the best spacing we’ve seen all season and our drives to the basket produced 32 points in the paint, including several thunderous dunks by Michael Gbinije, who scored 15 with 8 rebounds 2 assists and 3 steals.

- Cooney’s run also opened things up for Tyler Roberson, wo responded with 16 points and 13 rebounds. That stiffness that permeated everything he did in his first two years here seems to be gone. He’s playing like a fluid athlete. The only issue is his motor and he’s had four good games in row now with 53 points and 36 rebounds in 125 minutes played, (that’s 17 points and 11.5 rebounds per 40 minutes).

- Shooting is contagious, (so is missing) and Trevor’s teammates picked up on it, with Tyler Lydon hitting three treys of his own and even Franklin Howard adding one at the shot clock buzzer.

- In Lydon’s first four ACC games, he 5 for 17 from the field. 11 of those 17 shots (65%) were three pointer, (of which he made o0nly2). When he was so good in the Bahamas, he was 15 for 25 from the field and only 10 of those 25 shots, (40%) were three pointers. In the last two games, Lydon was 7 for 15 from the field and only 7 of those attempts was from beyond the arc, ((47%). He can certainly hit from there and did in this game but it’s only a part of his offense. I’m glad to see him showing more balance in his game.

- Franklin Howard, after getting 13 minutes vs. BC, got 17 more minutes in this game and played well, scoring 5 points, including that three pointer, getting to the line for 2 of 3 free throws and dishing out a couple of assists. I just think our ball movement is better with him in there.

- Konstantinos Mitoglu, after scoring 26 on us in the Dome last year, got 5 today. Heh, heh, heh.

- This was our best defensive game of the season Wake Forest was averaging 78 points per game and had just put up 91 in a loss at Virginia Tech. But they got only 55 against us, shooting 33% from the field, including 2 for 20 from the three point line. The refs put them on the line 42 times but they missed 17 of them, (people complain about our free throw shooting: the other guys have been worse, (.679-.668). Wake also had 18 turnovers. Danny Manning can’t be too happy with their performance today, but much of it was a bad performance that we forced them into.

- Jimmy was happy in the post-game press conference and was nicer to the reporters.

12-7 (2-4) with 13+ to go…and only 5 more wins needed to guarantee our 46th consecutive winning season!

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
It was nice to see a game where our offense really clicked and we were able to put the ball in the basket.....its so much more enjoyable to watch.

Crap. I totally forgot about this game too and unlike the last one I missed this would have been fun to watch. But thanks for the recap SWC. I don't think you get nearly enough praise for them.
You can't be missing these games. You need to pay attention to that countdown thing at the top of board and start setting alarms on your phone. Maybe work a conventional alarm clock into the mix and get a couple of roosters for backup.

Terrific recap as always, SWC. One other thing that I would add to the stellar defense that we played yesterday was the fact that we held their big man, Devin Thomas, to single digits (9 points). We made it very difficult to get it inside to him.

Terrific recap as always, SWC. One other thing that I would add to the stellar defense that we played yesterday was the fact that we held their big man, Devin Thomas, to single digits (9 points). We made it very difficult to get it inside to him.
The team is totally different defensively when DC plays like he did

We made it very difficult to get it inside to him.

This is a great point. Our centers may be smaller than the other team but if they can deny the entry pass they can avoid getting over powered. They did a good job of this yesterday.

The team is totally different defensively when DC plays like he did
I totally agree. DC is starting to become a presence and at least showed a back to the basket ability yesterday. We don't need 10 posts ups a game but 2 or 3 would be nice.

i also don't think it's a coincidence that Lydon's offensive cadence has been better as DC mans more minutes at the 5.

As for original post. Great stuff as always but i'm not sure WF is the dregs of the league, but they seem to have better personnel than their record is showing, but you are what you are so for now they are the dregs.

One thing that bothered me that seemed to happen a number of times is that we would get the ball into the front court and give it to DC above the top of the key. He was then repeatedly stuck there with no apparent outlet to pass to. I don't think this was DC's fault, it seemed like our guys were really slow moving off the ball and trying to present where he could make an uncontested pass to someone. I think there were at least three instances where if the 5 second closely guarded rule hadn't been eliminated we would have turned the ball over.....one instance felt like 15 seconds. What was up with that?

Another upside! We stopped passing to guys who were running out of bounds to make their baseline cuts. Maybe we stopped running out of bounds on the cut, but that's harder to follow until the whistle draws your attention to it.

This is a great point. Our centers may be smaller than the other team but if they can deny the entry pass they can avoid getting over powered. They did a good job of this yesterday.

Interesting that our centers are supposed to deny the entry passes. I thought that was the guards' job.

One thing that bothered me that seemed to happen a number of times is that we would get the ball into the front court and give it to DC above the top of the key. He was then repeatedly stuck there with no apparent outlet to pass to. I don't think this was DC's fault, it seemed like our guys were really slow moving off the ball and trying to present where he could make an uncontested pass to someone. I think there were at least three instances where if the 5 second closely guarded rule hadn't been eliminated we would have turned the ball over...one instance felt like 15 seconds. What was up with that?

Another upside! We stopped passing to guys who were running out of bounds to make their baseline cuts. Maybe we stopped running out of bounds on the cut, but that's harder to follow until the whistle draws your attention to it.

Man, I really hate that play as well. What is DC going to do with the ball at the three point line besides pass.

Interesting that our centers are supposed to deny the entry passes. I thought that was the guards' job.
The bigs stopped several back door lobs that they were allowing earlier in the season.

You can't be missing these games. You need to pay attention to that countdown thing at the top of board and start setting alarms on your phone. Maybe work a conventional alarm clock into the mix and get a couple of roosters for backup.
It was never a problem before this season. But without going into a lot of detail I have significant medical and psychological problems that are making it difficult to have a normal sleep schedule So I really lose track of time.

I was actually able to catch the game on ESPN3 using the search feature. I'll see if I can do the same for the BC game they blacked out for some reason

It was nice to see the game knowing it would be a blowout so i didn't swear at every SU error or bad call by the refs. I'm not sure there were a lot of bad calls. Most of our numerous fouls looked legit. I hope we play with better control against Duke and Virginia because you know the refs will be homers.

It was never a problem before this season. But without going into a lot of detail I have significant medical and psychological problems that are making it difficult to have a normal sleep schedule So I really lose track of time.
I am really sorry to hear that. Hope things get better for you very soon.

Have you ever considered that may be caused by being part of this board?

Have you ever considered that may be caused by being part of this board?
Ha ha ha ha that is hilarious and one of the reasons I enjoy this board so much.

Now if I was a regular poster on say the BC or Rutgers board you'd have a valid point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom